Sponsored by:

Back brace options on expired fia seat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 06:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 911racer
Although I agree with all of the above that PCA regions are not consistant. PCA national has a set of 'minimum standards' that we all must meet. that does not mean that a region wouldn't go to the n'th degree and require everything a race car would have.

I am competition chair in Northern Ohio Region and I chair one of our DE events. We are much more lenient in our requirements for a DE car vs a car that is going to race PCA.

However, the safety rule are there to keep you safe. I would personally feel much more comfortable if you were to prepare your car to race standards. The barriers are just as menacing when you DE.

Back to your original question. Brey Krause is the gold standard in back braces. I have had them in all my cup cars. I have only used the brace, not the bolt on bracket. I buy some square tubing and weld it to the cage for the mating part to the back brace. It saves about $100 and I feel the welding is stronger than the bolt on anyways.

Thanks

Ed
yes, most of the time, a DE car is a street car with no racing equip.. thats the point of DE... taking street cars on the track with no additional racing safety equip.... you cant put a seat back brace on a car with no roll bar, so is an FIA seat expired? is it better than a 30 year old stock seat? probably.

I have long forgotten, but i thougth if you bolted the seat back brace to the seat, then you didnt need the pad....... is that true? (as far as race cars and expired FIA race seats)

Ive never heard of DE's looking at belt expiration or anything other than helmet expirations to run DE...... personally, i think a stock porsche belt system is better than some of the harness bars ive seen...if i was to drive or instruct in one of those cars, i would use both!
Old 01-23-2017, 07:45 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard mounting a steal rod pointing at my back scared the crap out of me. I love the fact that via seats flex. If you watch the fia crash test videos, they give about 4-6 inches.

Honestly, if I knew pca required back braces for expired seats, I would have bought new seats. But pretty much every expired seat I saw mentioned using it for hpde.

Love the cobra Suzuka Kevlar. Expired or not, this thing has to be safer than the stock seats...

When I put a back brace in, if required, will have 2 full inches of padding and would slide it back allowing some flex...

A back end crash at high speed is somewhat lower on my " what I'm worried about list."

I spent the whole winter installing the roll bar, way over sizing the feet and custom making the base plate. I over engineered the heck out of this thing.

ah... Slow progress...
Old 01-23-2017, 10:44 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
Hard mounting a steal rod pointing at my back scared the crap out of me. I love the fact that via seats flex. If you watch the fia crash test videos, they give about 4-6 inches.

Honestly, if I knew pca required back braces for expired seats, I would have bought new seats. But pretty much every expired seat I saw mentioned using it for hpde.

Love the cobra Suzuka Kevlar. Expired or not, this thing has to be safer than the stock seats...

When I put a back brace in, if required, will have 2 full inches of padding and would slide it back allowing some flex...

A back end crash at high speed is somewhat lower on my " what I'm worried about list."

I spent the whole winter installing the roll bar, way over sizing the feet and custom making the base plate. I over engineered the heck out of this thing.

ah... Slow progress...
Over engineered compared to what? More than once a 911 has gone tail first into a wall. The 911 has a tendency to go rear end first in a mishap. The back brace has a minimum size for the area of the plate that is in contact with the back of the seat. It is too large to impale you.

Quick Reply: Back brace options on expired fia seat?