Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iRacing vs Assetto Corsa - differences?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 01:06 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

I have both AC and iRacing and play both extensively.

iRacing seems to "have it" on the realism and physics standpoint. You do have to "learn the sim" to learn how the tires talk to you, etc. but overall it's very natural feeling. I've put people who have NEVER simmed into iRacing and they immediately pick it up and go (in VR.)

AC is good, it's fun, I enjoy it. AC is my go-to when I just want to "pick up and play." Cars seem a little too drifty (street cars) or just too easy (race cars) - sorta like it has a little bit of "console racing game" in it vs "pure simulator". I think I had higher hopes for it after being a longtime customer of his from the netKar Pro days (which was FANTASTIC). Feels to me like he "dumbed down" AC to be more appealing to the masses and enthusiasts (which can make it fun and easy to play vs. more serious). iRacing is more die-hard simulator.

Project Cars is very pretty to look at but it felt like an arcade game to me otherwise. I uninstalled it not too long after I purchased it.

Be careful with mods for AC. As an avid computer nerd for most of my life (well over 30 years) - I've gotten a virus exactly twice. Once was a very long time ago, early internet days in college. The other time was from a bad AC mod about a year and a half ago. Nasty one too - one that required I reformat my hard drive and reset my BIOS to be able to get back into my machine. Fortunately my sim rig is a dedicated PC, so it wasn't too big of a loss to just reset it all.

I also can't say I've really found all that many quality mod tracks out there for AC. Most might look like or resemble the real thing, but definitely don't seem to be accurate. Not once you've been spoiled with iRacing's tracks.

Last edited by User 52121; 01-12-2017 at 01:07 PM. Reason: fixed grammatical errors
Old 01-12-2017, 01:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Be careful with mods for AC. As an avid computer nerd for most of my life (well over 30 years) - I've gotten a virus exactly twice.

... from a bad AC mod about a year and a half ago. Nasty one too - one that required I reformat my hard drive and reset my BIOS to be able to get back into my machine. Fortunately my sim rig is a dedicated PC, so it wasn't too big of a loss to just reset it all.

Not once you've been spoiled with iRacing's tracks.
Yep. The reason why I ONLY use dedicated PC's for sim work. MUCH safer that way.

I HAVE to use mods on a variety of sims to replicate historic cars for training. As a matter of fact, the Dunlop M-section "Post Historic" tire required for use in FIA Historic racing and special events like LeMans Classic, OldTimer in Germany and the Spa Six Hours (that crazy 2-liter 911 video!?!?!) is modeled with near perfect precision in "Power and Glory 3.0 Mod." So, yeah.

For US track training, I don't use ANYTHING else than iRacing. Period.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-12-2017, 02:56 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Be careful with mods for AC. As an avid computer nerd for most of my life (well over 30 years) - I've gotten a virus exactly twice. Once was a very long time ago, early internet days in college. The other time was from a bad AC mod about a year and a half ago. Nasty one too - one that required I reformat my hard drive and reset my BIOS to be able to get back into my machine. Fortunately my sim rig is a dedicated PC, so it wasn't too big of a loss to just reset it all.
A lot of AC mods are copied without permission by the original author (usually the one who did the conversion) and piled up on low-quality web hosting sites usually used for ****. Very aggressive advertising and no filtering for malicious ads (the uploader then gets paid for doing that robbery). Since an AC car mod does not contain anything executable at all I think the far higher risk here is the download place, not the mod.

Telemetry, instruments and other apps are turing-complete full programs, always, with no permissions filter aka Android or so. They can do whatever they want on your PC.

I also noticed that if you want to use your Android device as a dash instrument then most of the available Android apps do not access the game directly. They require you to install a windows program on the game machine which takes the telemetry from AC and then relays it to the app.

I am not sure why they are doing that. My own telemetry thing accesses the game directly with no problems. Seems suspicious.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:45 PM
GTSpure
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 80 Posts

Hello drivers (:

Sorry for the thread jumping

I would love to hear if anyone has a good setup for a Porsche 991.1 carrera s in AC (Assetto Corsa)
It is the closest to the Porsche I have (997.2 GTS PDK).
This is for training before track days..

Many thanks in advance
Old 05-24-2023, 11:46 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSpure
Hello drivers (:

Sorry for the thread jumping

I would love to hear if anyone has a good setup for a Porsche 991.1 carrera s in AC (Assetto Corsa)
It is the closest to the Porsche I have (997.2 GTS PDK).
This is for training before track days..

Many thanks in advance
ditto, i'd love to know that too
Old 05-26-2023, 08:56 AM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 644 Likes on 393 Posts

Regarding the differences between iRacing and AC, I'd be very curious to know if "netcode" (false collisions) also happen in Assetto in networked races.

Would also like to know about the difference between the latest ACC (which is based upon the "Unreal" engine) and the old AC1 (which had AC's proprietary engine).
Old 06-01-2023, 06:20 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

I have and use all of them. iRacing is by far my most preferred. ACC is pretty great too. AC is dated, even with all the mods. Biggest compliant is the feel of the force feedback, it's really lacking compared to the other two, generations behind.

I have a higher end sim rig with a direct drive wheel, iRacing and ACC absolutely feel incredible.

If iRacing has the tracks you're interested I'd recommend that for learning the layout / line -- try the Cayman GT4. The Miata and GR86 are really fun too.

AC is nice because of how much community generated content is available. For instance, I used AC to learn Thunderhill, someone in the modding community made a pretty accurate version. Car felt like junk going around it, but the track layout was accurate. Regarding which car to use in AC specifically, I don't think it matters much, like I said the FFB is lacking. Personally I use the GT4. I also like the 911R, total beast.

Last edited by michaelp; 06-01-2023 at 06:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
peterp (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 07:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

rF and rF2 should be added to your list, @michaelp If you're interested in custom cars/tracks/tire modeling, that has to be a part of your repertoire.

​​​​​@dgrobs Rep-er-twar! New word!
The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
michaelp (06-02-2023), mlct (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 01:49 AM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
rF and rF2 should be added to your list, @michaelp If you're interested in custom cars/tracks/tire modeling, that has to be a part of your repertoire.
Great suggestion, been meaning to take a closer look.

Quick Reply: iRacing vs Assetto Corsa - differences?