Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving and Playing Musical Instruments?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 11:09 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

I played the drums through high school and I find the footwork and the rhythms of driving tapping into a similar mindspace. Oddly, I do sometimes struggle with getting stuck in a learned rhythm that no longer matches an increase in pace. There is certainly a similar feeling when you get it just right though.

Definitely an interesting way of thinking about it.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:17 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

That Usual Suspects bit is hilarious. Good Show!
Old 01-04-2017, 04:06 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of my fastest friends that weren't raised from a young age to be race car drivers are pro Skateboarders like Bucky Lasek and Danny Way, I would think anything that tests and improves rhythm and coordination would only make a better driver.
http://www.thrashermagazine.com/arti...-buck-it-part/
Here is some very precise and delicate footwork
Old 01-04-2017, 09:57 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I played the drums through high school and I find the footwork and the rhythms of driving tapping into a similar mindspace. Oddly, I do sometimes struggle with getting stuck in a learned rhythm that no longer matches an increase in pace. There is certainly a similar feeling when you get it just right though.

Definitely an interesting way of thinking about it.
I actually have a similar problem with drumming itself. Having dabbled with the instrument here and there over the years, there are some things I can do tolerably well, but they're interfering with learning new things. In other words, my skill set is very uneven, with some big holes in it. If I could do it all over again, I would have started learning this instrument more systematically with the help of teachers, to build a broad and solid foundation of skills, instead of taking a haphazard self-taught approach.

Fortunately, it's the norm with driving on track that just about everyone learns from instructors, rather than being allowed to be a self-taught solo driver from the start. And I credit my track experience with playing a big role in my more systematic and disciplined approach to learning drums this time around, and probably helping with physical skills also.

So maybe the relationship can go both ways: other sports and playing musical instruments can help our driving, but driving can also help in those other activities as well. For those of us who need to justify our time on track to spouses, etc., perhaps we can add this to our arsenal ("but honey, this track driving will make me better at X!").
Old 01-05-2017, 12:16 AM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manifold
Middle-aged guy who tracks a white 991 GT3. We've co-instructed at several Chin events. Miata drivers do tend to congregate in packs.
Yes I've seen the aura of you at Chin. You disappeared every time the pastries were served w coffee.

Not to challenge your greatness or anything, but I wanted to mention: I believe the correct term for us Miatadores in a group is "Bitch-Slap Gang"
Old 01-05-2017, 09:13 AM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I've been playing guitar, bass and keys for the past 35 years. I enjoy it immensely but although I can impress my friends and family, when a pro is in the room, I've got nothing on them.

The same goes for my driving...

Although I probably have just as much $$ tied up into musical gear as I do my track rig. Last I recall about 10 nice guitars (some vintage Gibsons), about the same in high end basses and a plexi or two as well as a couple of tweed Fenders (that's the amp manufactuer, not body panel!)...

I did finance the majority of my track car by selling a vintage Les Paul back in 2010.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:19 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Hahaha! I've played a pre-CBS Fender Jazz bass with a variety of flip-top tube B-15's (SVT's too, when I was young and loud) for four decades. It sure helps me on the track, I think.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-05-2017, 09:45 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Hahaha! I've played a pre-CBS Fender Jazz bass with a variety of flip-top tube B-15's (SVT's too, when I was young and loud) for four decades. It sure helps me on the track, I think.
Wasn't it fun moving those SVT cabinets around, Peter? Went through the same thing with Marshalls--that's what I deserved for bringing a full stack into a bar, but that's the way it was back then....won't even get into what I sold all my old Gibsons for back in the day 'cos it makes me sick with what they're worth today

Gary
Old 01-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

For the non-guitarists out there, here's an example of virtuosity on the guitar.

And here's some discussion of how he got so good:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/artists/...teve-vai/21995
The old proverb “practice makes perfect” has rarely rung truer. Steve Vai has probably logged more practice hours in a single year than most of us do in a lifetime. There’s simply no other way to get that good. “I used to divide my day into about 12 hours,” Vai told GP way back in February 1983, when asked to describe his practice routine. “The first nine hours were divided into three equal sections. For the first hour, I would do a series of exercises to develop my fingering. Then I would go through all the scales and modes, and I would write synthetic scales and learn them. Then I would harmonize them and break the chords down. At the end of it all, I would just play.”
Old 01-05-2017, 09:52 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

I use my time on track to really work on my concentration (being in the zone)
This is vital in my profession.
That's why I probably pit more often than others during DEs. As soon as I find my mind wonder of and start thinking about stuff that is not relevant I pit so I don't train with a non perfect mindset.
Trying to teach my brain and mind to be where it's supposed to be.
This is a lot harder than most people realize. (And some have never experienced it)
Old 01-05-2017, 09:53 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spinout
I did finance the majority of my track car by selling a vintage Les Paul back in 2010.
I was very lucky to pick up a Les Paul that had belonged to Kerry Livgren (guitarist for Kansas) at a really good price on ebay. He owned it for ten years, played it live, and recorded a solo album with it. The guitar is as good as I hoped, and no plans to sell it.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:59 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I use my time on track to really work on my concentration (being in the zone)
This is vital in my profession.
That's why I probably pit more often than others during DEs. As soon as I find my mind wonder of and start thinking about stuff that is not relevant I pit so I don't train with a non perfect mindset.
Trying to teach my brain and mind to be where it's supposed to be.
This is a lot harder than most people realize. (And some have never experienced it)
Terrific methodology! And so true...
Old 01-05-2017, 10:09 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Regarding how to get the most out of practice (for driving, musical instruments, etc.), I recommend "The Little Book of Talent: 52 Tips for Improving Your Skills" by Daniel Coyle. IMO, an excellent resource for both drivers and instructors/coaches.

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-T...5DZTMNN0YRQWFJ
Old 01-06-2017, 05:58 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To be any good at either, you must concentrate/focus fully on the task, practice and never, I mean never, forget about the fundamentals, no matter how far you progress. Say...just like any other endeavor!
Old 01-06-2017, 08:42 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Not to change the purpose of this thread (OK, I suppose it would) how about you other guitar players post some pics of your axe(es).

I try not to watch videos of players like Vai as it just makes me want to sell all my guitars.

Quick Reply: Driving and Playing Musical Instruments?