Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving and Playing Musical Instruments?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 02:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Wow! VOX electronics, too... Sweet!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-03-2017, 02:17 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
I tried guitar but just couldn't get a good fit with the steering wheel so close.
I picture you owning a beat up guitar with a lot of duck tape on it.

Originally Posted by DTMiller
He's supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody ever believed he was real. Nobody ever knew him or saw anybody that ever drove directly for him. But to hear Hicks tell it, anybody could have worked for Manifold. You never knew; that was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

One story the guys told me, the story I believe, was from his days in Summit Point. There was a gang of Miata drivers that wanted their own mob. They realized that to be in power, you didn't need guns or money or even numbers. You just needed the will to do what the other guy wouldn't. After a while, they come onto track and then they come after Manifold. He was small-time then, just running a 997.1, they say. They come to his track in the afternoon, looking for his car. They find his DD and tow vehicle in the house and decide to wait for Manifold. He comes home to find DD on fire and the tow vehicle with flat tires. The Miata drivers knew Manifold was tough, not to be trifled with, so they let him know they meant business.

They tell him they want his track, all his skill. Manifold looks over the his DD and his tow vehicle. Then he showed these men of will what will really was. (Manifold sets fire to his 997.1, as the last Miata driver watches in surprised horror)

He tells him he would rather see his 997.1 dead than live another day after this. He lets the last Miata driver go, waits until his cars are towed to the junkyward , and then he goes after the rest of the Miata drivers. He passes without point bys. He refuses check rides. He fails them at tech inspection. He posts bad Yelp reviews about their businesses.

And like that, he's gone. Underground. Nobody's ever seen him since. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'Drive on old tires and Manifold will get you.' But no one ever really believes.

That's who Manifold is.
I don't believe in Manifold, but I'm afraid of him.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:22 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
MANIFOLD: Thanks for the compliment. Who are you??
Middle-aged guy who tracks a white 991 GT3. We've co-instructed at several Chin events. I complimented you on your driving when we were at Palmer.

BTW, almost nothing DTMiller said is true, except that Miata drivers do tend to congregate in packs.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:35 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
But, Ive seen a lot of great athletes with poor music skills, drive the heck out of the car...
The few pro athletes I've encountered doing their first track days all showed driving ability which was far above average.

I always ask students about experience in other sports when I interview them. Skiing and snowboarding seem to apply particularly well to driving.

Probably difficult to judge musical aptitude early on, since nearly everyone needs to practice for many hours before showing skill. Some who suck in the beginning go on to reach a very high level, but that can take thousands of hours.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:36 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I like DTMiller's explanation about Manifold.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

I see parallels in golf, too.

On the musical aptitude, they don't have to be killing it to have some favorable effect on their driving...
Old 01-03-2017, 02:42 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Wow! VOX electronics, too... Sweet!
Thanks. I'm definitely a Voxaholic.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:13 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
Thanks. I'm definitely a Voxaholic.
Prefer Marshalls meself; failing that, any old Fender will do

Gary
Old 01-03-2017, 03:19 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm better at racing than playing guitar, but I play music a lot. My business is making guitar effects pedals so it helps to play them. I have raced with the best pros and can stay on the track with them, but the best guitarists would laugh at my lack of technique.

I think the reason a lot of people like cars and guitars is because the INTERESTS are very similar, people who like cars also like the gear we use to make music. At least those are my interests, I may actually like "cars" more than "racing" but racing is the ultimate use of my automotive toys. And playing in a band is the ultimate use of my musical toys.

I can figure out how many cars have in a minute, but guitars or amps would be very tough to figure out, and effects pedals would be impossible to get even close without a full day's work with a helper.

Playing in my music room with Sid McGinnis (Letterman band, Peter Gabriel, etc)

Like Rock 2011 ALMS, winning GTC with Dion Von Moltke doing the heavy lifting.

Last edited by analogmike; 01-03-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
I'm better at racing than playing guitar, but I play music a lot. My business is making guitar effects pedals so it helps to play them. I have raced with the best pros and can stay on the track with them, but the best guitarists would laugh at my lack of technique.

I think the reason a lot of people like cars and guitars is because the INTERESTS are very similar, people who like cars also like the gear we use to make music. At least those are my interests, I may actually like "cars" more than "racing" but racing is the ultimate use of my automotive toys. And playing in a band is the ultimate use of my musical toys.

I can figure out how many cars have in a minute, but guitars or amps would be very tough to figure out, and effects pedals would be impossible to get even close without a full day's work with a helper.

Playing in my music room with Sid McGinnis (Letterman band, Peter Gabriel, etc)

Like Rock 2011 ALMS, winning GTC with Dion Von Moltke doing the heavy lifting.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:34 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

I play guitar and there is some connection. The first thing that comes to mind is muscle memory. When I'm playing guitar I'm not thinking that I have to put my index finger on this string and my middle finger on this other string. You just do it. Same with driving. All that stuff goes to the subconscious, and you just perform at an abstract level.

I'm not so sure the rhythm aspect helps, although we have all felt what it's like to get into "a rhythm" at the track. I think that's more just driving in the zone and being at the subconscious level.

Musicians are usually more abstract thinkers and creative type persons. Maybe that helps when conjuring up a pass on your opponent.

The difference is girls used to come up to me after gigs for my autograph. At the track, there are no girls(barely). We perform in a vacuum.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:38 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The few pro athletes I've encountered doing their first track days all showed driving ability which was far above average.

I always ask students about experience in other sports when I interview them. Skiing and snowboarding seem to apply particularly well to driving.

Probably difficult to judge musical aptitude early on, since nearly everyone needs to practice for many hours before showing skill. Some who suck in the beginning go on to reach a very high level, but that can take thousands of hours.
yep, i concur! especially tournament water skiing, maybe even more so than snow skiing due to the similar weight transfer and line similarities.
For me, all that helps a lot, but what helped the most vs others ive driven with/against, was all the snow driving when i was young, (While listening to music and driving to the ski races! )
My brother, who started playing guitar just a few years ago, has HUGE aptitude and much better abilities than I do, even playing (or dabbling) for over 40 years . Some just have the gift. (he got the gene, i didnt, from Mom the opera singer, pianist ! grrrrr! ) so, he plays lead, me, rhythm.. (i still think im better at that than he is... and he knows it. ... but dosnt care.. lead is the glory guitar talent!) (he's a good driver too without much experience on the track)
Old 01-04-2017, 08:15 AM
dhc3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys,
Check out the Martin Scorsese documentary video about George Harrison, "Living in the Material World". Harrison was a fan of motorsports and F1 in particular.
In it there is an interview with Harrison's buddy Jackie Stewart. Stewart describes the feeling of being 'in the zone', a feeling that is shared both by a racing driver who is at one with his car and driving, and a guitar player who is at one with his instrument and playing music.
It's a place I am sure you have all experienced. Harrison and Stewart had that in common.
Also, check out Harrison's tribute to F1, "Faster".
Old 01-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

In psychology, being "in the zone" is known as being in a state of "flow", and the concept is well described in this Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

Further down in the article, flow is described in the context of music and sports, with references to F1. At the end of the article, it's also noted that flow experiences can be addictive, and probably just about everyone who goes to the track is familiar with that aspect!
Old 01-04-2017, 09:46 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
flow experiences can be addictive, and probably just about everyone who goes to the track is familiar with that aspect!
.....which is why I have to participate as much as possible and do not (barring real life getting in the way ) see myself stopping anytime soon.

Gary

Quick Reply: Driving and Playing Musical Instruments?