Fuel Cell Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 09:41 AM
OntarioMark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Cell Gasket Replacement

Hi,

I am hoping someone familiar with the workings of a fuel cell can assist. I posted this inquiry on Pelican a couple of days ago and got no response. I also posted in the air cooled 911 forum a couple of days ago with the same result.

My fuel cell started leaking. The leak was definitely from the fuel line going out and possibly on the fuel return line on the lower part of the cell.

I have new gaskets from Fuel Safe for the entire fuel cell. I anticipate having no problems getting at the gaskets to be replaced at the top of the fuel cell. I already have access to one for the fuel level sender and the other will be just a matter of undoing all of the bolts that surround the fill plate:

What I am hoping to get some advice about is the best way to tackle replacing the gaskets on the fuel line going out and the fuel return at the bottom of the cell.

Should I just be able to remove the six bolts on the plate that surrounds each of the lines, pull the plate and line back, remove the old gasket and slip the new one in and then reinstall the bolts? Or will there be a pick up line on the other side of the plate that will have to be undone so that I can get the gasket in place?

If I have to undo the lines, what would be the best way to go about it? Should I be backing the fuel line fitting on each plate from the blue nut? Will there be something on the other side of the plate in the cell itself that the blue nut will be attached to that I need to get hold of in order to do this? Will I have to pull the cell partway out of the metal container itself to get in the new gaskets?

I know I can experiment and just starting taking things apart, but I am hoping to get some advice that can help minimize the experimentation. I would very much appreciate any guidance you can give me. Thanks

Mark

First photo: The fuel line going out
Second photo: The fuel line going in
Third photo: The fuel cell viewed from above
Fourth and fifth photos: The fuel cell viewed from below with lines out and for fuel return
Attached Images
Attached Images      
Old 12-30-2016, 11:18 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

If you don't know the age of the rubber bladder inside (and from the pics, it looks pretty ancient), my bet is that the gaskets aren't going to fix your issue. Likely the bladder itself at a corner seam or where the metal threaded nut ring joins with the body of the bladder.

Remove all solid hose connections to the cell, drain the cell and remove it from the can. Then, examine very carefully the bladder itself. Technically, these are supposed to be recertified every five years. There is (or should be) a manufacturing date on the bladder itself. You can either buy new or perhaps send off to an aircraft recertification center for repair. Like I said, those cork and rubber gaskets, left undisturbed, are not usually the cause of dampness, wetness or leaks, especially in the lowest part of the cell...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-30-2016, 02:13 PM
OntarioMark
Advanced

Peter

Thank you for that advice. Not news I was hoping for but what you say makes sense.

Mark
Old 01-03-2017, 03:36 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
If you don't know the age of the rubber bladder inside (and from the pics, it looks pretty ancient), my bet is that the gaskets aren't going to fix your issue. Likely the bladder itself at a corner seam or where the metal threaded nut ring joins with the body of the bladder.

Remove all solid hose connections to the cell, drain the cell and remove it from the can. Then, examine very carefully the bladder itself. Technically, these are supposed to be recertified every five years. There is (or should be) a manufacturing date on the bladder itself. You can either buy new or perhaps send off to an aircraft recertification center for repair. Like I said, those cork and rubber gaskets, left undisturbed, are not usually the cause of dampness, wetness or leaks, especially in the lowest part of the cell...
Peter, I couldn't have said it better. OK, I will add that if it has foam in the cell that should be replaced if more than 5 years old. You don't want to have to deal with it if it starts deteriorating.

Once the cell has been removed and inspected let us know what you found was causing the leak.

Bill
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Old 02-27-2017, 10:36 PM
OntarioMark
Advanced

A long time since my last post, but I only recently took the cell apart and found the source of the leak. Peter and Bill were absolutely correct. The cork and rubber gaskets were not the source of the problem. Instead, the leak was at a seam in the bladder. And if that seam had not started leaking when it did, I am sure that another soon would have. Given the bladder's likely age, I think I was really lucky I was never in a crash. I am not sure it would have held up well. Since the car is not going to be tracked any time soon, I am just going to put in a regular fuel tank. Thanks for all the advice. It was helpful.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by OntarioMark
Given the bladder's likely age, I think I was really lucky I was never in a crash. I am not sure it would have held up well. Since the car is not going to be tracked any time soon, I am just going to put in a regular fuel tank. Thanks for all the advice. It was helpful.

Quick Reply: Fuel Cell Gasket Replacement