Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NE Bucket List Track Quest

Old 01-09-2017, 10:30 AM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow! Nice listing Mike. Did you put that together? I've done something similar in years past, but it takes a lot of time!
Old 01-09-2017, 12:21 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by guardsredcab
UPDATE
Thanks for all your advice guys. Our Bucket List group is registered for Niagara event at WGI at end of May and plan to sign up for the NY Metro event there the following two days. We've also registered for the UCR event at Mosport the next weekend.

Turns out the lapping session at Mosport on Friday afternoon is only for UCR members. Guess we'll have to live with only 6 out of 7 days on track!

Another surprise is that UCR only allows Porsches at their DEs. I've done probably 40 DEs with a host of PCA regions over the years and have never run into that requirement before. A few of our group (including me) have M3 track cars. I can take my GT4, but others are not so fortunate. Maybe this is common in other areas... has anyone else run into this Porsche-only rule?
I'm told Connecticut has this rule also.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:37 PM
porshyche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow! Nice listing Mike. Did you put that together? I've done something similar in years past, but it takes a lot of time!

Yes, its a great listing but no I didn't do it. My friend Tom Krueger from RSRPCA puts this together every year and updates it as needed. His contact info is there if anyone would like to receive the track listings.

Track events 2017.pdf
Old 01-09-2017, 10:50 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Hahaha. I was just thinking "great, now we have to have a stupid fight over what is the NE."

VIR is pretty clearly the southernmost possible point of NE, and Mid-Ohio sounds right for the western boundary. That makes a list of:

VIR
Mid-Ohio
PittRace
Summit Point
Dominion
WGI
NJMP
Lime Rock
Pocono
Palmer
Mosport Canadian Tire
Mont Tremblant

Sounds like a fun two weeks!
Virginia is absolutely NOT part of the Northeast (NE).
Please check your Google map for location of the Mason-Dixon line.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:13 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Search is your friend. Jump over to the 997 GT3 forum. Search term is mancation. OP is trakcar. It was 4 or 5 years ago, but he did it twice, so look at both.

Remember: you'll be walking in the footsteps of giants!
Old 01-10-2017, 10:29 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,191 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
I'm told Connecticut has this rule also.
In general the Connecticut Valley Region only enforces the "Porsches only" rule at Lime Rock. Other marques have been welcome at other tracks like WGI.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:33 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
In general the Connecticut Valley Region only enforces the "Porsches only" rule at Lime Rock. Other marques have been welcome at other tracks like WGI.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:51 PM
Quinlan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE

Another surprise is that UCR only allows Porsches at their DEs. I've done probably 40 DEs with a host of PCA regions over the years and have never run into that requirement before. A few of our group (including me) have M3 track cars. I can take my GT4, but others are not so fortunate. Maybe this is common in other areas... has anyone else run into this Porsche-only rule?
UCR is actually the largest region (by numbers) in PCA. As a result, even though UCR runs 6 DE events at Mosport each year, DE's are normally oversubscribed in most run groups, so the philosophy is that the allegiance is to Porsche owners/cars first. The exceptions are:
1. Instructors with their own non-Porsches;
2. Participants who have signed up with their own Porsches but due to mechanical problems can't bring them out; and
3. The Oktoberfest event, where all German cars are welcome.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:18 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

I've respectfully requested the UCR Track Team to consider allowing our group of six (including up to three non-Porsches) to participate in the event. I will refrain from commenting further until I hear back from them. I completely understand and respect it's their club and they make the rules.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:53 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the search tip 24 Chrom. Don't have time to look at the 50+ pages of each of TRAKCAR's two mancation threads right now, but looks like good weekend reading material. Just looking at one of his itineraries is awe inspiring. Our plan for 6.5 out of 7 days on track is meager by comparison. I only hope that we can make it 6 out of 7, instead of having to slink back to Indiana after only 4 days at WGI. On reflection, I guess that would be a fairly high grade problem!
Old 01-12-2017, 11:20 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

UPDATE
Confirmed participation in event. Appreciate UCR's flexibility. Can't wait!
Old 01-13-2017, 08:34 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 293 Likes on 168 Posts

UPDATE
Confirmed participation in event. Appreciate UCR's flexibility. Can't wait!
Excellent! Which one? Wondering if I'll be there to say hi.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:49 AM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

June 2-4 at Mosport... following May 29-June 1 at WGI. Will need lots of tires and brake pads!

A question regarding border crossing... guys at Wright Motorsports told one of my buddies that crossing into and returning from Canada is a huge hassle. Talked about needing to account for everything you bring in (tires, parts, even gasoline) and then checking again as you recross the border. Wasn't clear if this was on the US or Canada side. I know many of you have experience crossing for events. Is this accurate? If so, any advice on how to prep?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2017, 09:53 AM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

No it's not that bad. Make sure you have your passport and registration or title for the car you're bringing in. That's all you'll need.

They'll ask a few general questions, where are you going, how long will you be here.

On the way back to the USA, they asked me to open up my enclosed trailer (more I think to check out the car than anything)
Old 01-13-2017, 10:38 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Virginia is absolutely NOT part of the Northeast (NE).
Please check your Google map for location of the Mason-Dixon line.
Actually, when it was built and in the days when Roger Penske raced and won there (as well as Al Holbert's dad, Bob), it was in the Northeast Division of the SCCA, pretty much all the way up to the Seventies, just before it closed.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NE Bucket List Track Quest