Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet communicator for DE

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 09:55 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Good luck. My experience with rugged radio stuff has not been good. Stuff either broke way too easily, didn't work as advertised, wasn't accepted as a return, etc.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:19 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Andrew shared some interesting insights with me on the IMSA style connectors...which is that despite appearing to all be the same there are different variations in how each of them is wired.

Chart describing the different wiring.

http://www.ruggedradios.com/images/w...-Explained.jpg

Unfortunately this means integrating with Stilo electronics vs. Peltor vs. standard IMSA means different wiring per whatever radio set you are using. That also means the Peltor radio isn't plug and play with the built-in electronics in my Stilo helmet.

He's looking to see if he can make a student headset to work with the Stilo WRC 03 communicator which is similar to the Peltor. If he can make that happen I'm all for it and think this would be a great solution.
I have mine and tested it with my helmet, wired IMSA by Speedcom and it all worked perfect. Couldn't you just use a Stilo to IMSA adapter to plug into the Peltor from Andrew? Something like this http://www.speedcomracing.com/helmet-wiring

Originally Posted by linzman
Good luck. My experience with rugged radio stuff has not been good. Stuff either broke way too easily, didn't work as advertised, wasn't accepted as a return, etc.
Rugged Radios was only used as a display of the different connectors. The units we are talking about are made by Peltor and the headset is made by Andrew.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:18 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Sorry. Misunderstood the link. l It is frustrating that the standards are all different. It would be nice to have something that's solid, and just works!!!
Old 12-01-2016, 12:21 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
Sorry. Misunderstood the link. l It is frustrating that the standards are all different. It would be nice to have something that's solid, and just works!!!
Yeah, it's really annoying that there are so many different standards - for no F'ing reason other than to build a moat around your products.....but all using the same Aviation connectors. The good thing is that it's just the pin-outs that are different (and an inversion of Male/female connections in the case of Stilo), and if you are handy with a soldering iron, you can do whatever you want. The core electronics seems to be compatible.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:34 PM
Pilot_951S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not currently using or selling any products made by Rugged. I never had any issue with them but I am now selling higher quality stuff that I am getting from a variety of different suppliers. My website is in need of a significant update.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:15 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Also consider having your current helmet wired for ear buds and a mic. Depending on how many years it has left, it's fit, etc., it might be worth keeping it. But, having your helmet wired, whether a Stilo or professionally by someone like Speedcom, is worth it, IMHO.
Matt

If Santa comes through, as I stated in the first post here with the chatterbox pro full face ear/mic kit, is it that difficult to install in a helmet HJC ?

I thought it would be more durable than using an instructor's student side, being slipped in and out every
run group.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:47 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Matt

If Santa comes through, as I stated in the first post here with the chatterbox pro full face ear/mic kit, is it that difficult to install in a helmet HJC ?

I thought it would be more durable than using an instructor's student side, being slipped in and out every
run group.
The Chatterbox instructor setup is pretty easy. Just take your time and be careful when you take the padding in and out it back.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:52 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

NYoutftr: I have installed the full face ear/mic kit in my HJC.

The process is VERY easy, requiring no tools and only a few minutes.

Be careful to place the earbuds DIRECTLY opposite from where your ear will be. If you align properly you will have excellent communication; if not, you won't.

One hint: with a single-edged razor blade or other sharp, remove the foam padding between the earpieces and where your ears will be. If you do not do this the volume will be too low and when you raise it sufficiently so you can hear, your student will be howling in pain.

and YES -- this is MUCH more durable than using a student headset, as well as being more convenient -- just pop on your helmet and you are ready to go.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:56 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Thank you, that is what I was worried about the foam

I am actually the student.

I was also searching, I thought I saw somewhere there is an extension cable to go between head set and box, is there, or was I mistaken?

Originally Posted by fhp911
NYoutftr: I have installed the full face ear/mic kit in my HJC.

The process is VERY easy, requiring no tools and only a few minutes.

Be careful to place the earbuds DIRECTLY opposite from where your ear will be. If you align properly you will have excellent communication; if not, you won't.

One hint: with a single-edged razor blade or other sharp, remove the foam padding between the earpieces and where your ears will be. If you do not do this the volume will be too low and when you raise it sufficiently so you can hear, your student will be howling in pain.

and YES -- this is MUCH more durable than using a student headset, as well as being more convenient -- just pop on your helmet and you are ready to go.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:34 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

more to NYoutftr.:

YES -- you could install the 'instructor' headset components in your student helmet and hookup to your instructor BUT OF COURSE ONLY IF THE INSTRUCTOR ALSO USED THE CHATTERBOX SYSTEM!!!

and also, YES -- you would need either the Universal Audio Cable or Universal Audio Extension Cable to connect to the instructor's system. Look at chatterboxusa.com.

note - I am simply a customer; no other relationship with chatterbox
Old 12-04-2016, 09:56 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fhp911
more to NYoutftr.:

YES -- you could install the 'instructor' headset components in your student helmet and hookup to your instructor BUT OF COURSE ONLY IF THE INSTRUCTOR ALSO USED THE CHATTERBOX SYSTEM!!!

and also, YES -- you would need either the Universal Audio Cable or Universal Audio Extension Cable to connect to the instructor's system. Look at chatterboxusa.com.

note - I am simply a customer; no other relationship with chatterbox
I think this is the correct item?
TANDEM PRO 2 | DUO REPLACEMENT MIC FOR FULL FACE
Product Code: CBDUOUHS
Old 12-06-2016, 10:26 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Here are some choices way better then Tandem in my opinion:
Stilo Trophy:

Sparco:

Made in Italy. Solid.

----------------
997 C2S PCA Instructor
Old 12-07-2016, 01:36 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

I've got a few items coming from Drew and from Rallynuts. Hopefully I never have to suffer my tandem again and I can proceed with my chatterbox effigy in the barbecue. I told Drew that he needs to advertise his solution and gear up with more inventory because if this works as well as he makes it out to, then this is the new path for all of us. We can then focus on all the creative ways we euthanized our chatterboxes which sounds like a lot of fun.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:25 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I've got a few items coming from Drew and from Rallynuts. Hopefully I never have to suffer my tandem again and I can proceed with my chatterbox effigy in the barbecue. I told Drew that he needs to advertise his solution and gear up with more inventory because if this works as well as he makes it out to, then this is the new path for all of us. We can then focus on all the creative ways we euthanized our chatterboxes which sounds like a lot of fun.
Finally someone who understands me! I can't wait to use the solution from Drew.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:35 AM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

NYoutftr:

I say NO to the item you indicated. All you want is an 'extension cord' to reach from your helmet to the instructor's, which has the electronic box. Chatterbox seems to make 2 extension cords now -- the 2 I indicated to you in my last post.

But PLEASE remember that if you put an instructor set (which includes earpieces and microphone) into your helmet, you can ONLY communicate with a Chatterbox system.

Lastly, I suggest you phone Chatterbox, explain your plan [to install an instructor set into your helmet] and ASK THEM what you need to connect to your instructor, who will have the electronics.

Quick Reply: Helmet communicator for DE