Helmet communicator for DE

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 05:07 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I am sorry to paint a dark picture, but that's going to work for maybe 6 months. There is something about the chatterbox 3.5mm jacks that start to degrade quickly with use. The result will be audio that cuts in and out or squeals.
I've owned a Cahtterbox for a couple of years. At the end of this year I would have to twist the connections like I was trying to crack a safe to get it to work.

Was looking at a Peltor system but they are a little pricey.

Liked the bluetooth from Sena posted earlier in this thread but how would that work if your student doesn't have a prewired helmet?
Old 11-26-2016, 05:42 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I just picked up a Peltor and a student headset to go with it from Andrew Wikstrom. I haven't used it on the track, but testing it out it seems great. I know I will love the dual volume controls. With my helmet wired for sound using earbuds, I would have to have the volume way too loud for me to get it acceptable for my student with the Chatterbox. Now we'll each have our own!
Old 11-26-2016, 05:56 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I just picked up a Peltor and a student headset to go with it from Andrew Wikstrom. I haven't used it on the track, but testing it out it seems great. I know I will love the dual volume controls. With my helmet wired for sound using earbuds, I would have to have the volume way too loud for me to get it acceptable for my student with the Chatterbox. Now we'll each have our own!
Can you take more about Andrew Wikstrom'a student imsa headset?
Old 11-26-2016, 06:52 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

http://tachterion.us/products/rugged-radios/ is Drew's site.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:44 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I am a long-time instructor who uses Chatterbox.

When they came out with the Tandem PRO2 system a few years back the sounds quality was WAY better than before. I have no complaints at all about the sound quality. (I use DUO REPLACEMENT MIC FOR FULL FACE headset with earpieces and microphone in my helmet.)

BUT ... the build quality of the STUDENT side (PRO2 STUDENT HEADSET) is very very poor. The wires going into the earpiece break frequently. I have tried taping and tie-wrapping -- to no avail. My solution is to always have 2 of these with me, so when the first one breaks I can right away switch the student to the other one; then I buy another one as soon as I get home.

Not an ideal solution but I'm not aware of a better system.

The Peltor system mentioned earlier by Matt Romanowski may be better, but it seems expensive -- $300+ for just the electronics (I think). MATT: What would the components and costs be for a full system -- meaning parts for student, parts for instructor (w/ builtin to helmet earpieces and microphone), and central electronics?

By contrast, that same full system for Chatterbox costs approx $135.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:36 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

+1. I'd gladly pay for the peltor or other imsa units if we could find a high quality student headset to go with them.

Link above doesn't show said headset.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:40 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
+1. I'd gladly pay for the peltor or other imsa units if we could find a high quality student headset to go with them.

Link above doesn't show said headset.
Here is a shot of the Peltor and the student headset.

It seems to be very high quality. The mic is a heavy flex cable just like if you have your helmet professional wired. The speaker portion is a nice plastic piece that is screwed together (not snapped). The connector wire is heat shrinked to the mic cable to keep it from pulling out. Overall very nice.

The Peltor unit seems great. It has seperate volume controls and is powered by a 9v battery. The battery is supposed to last 10ish hours. There is a LED that is green and it turns red when there is approx. 1 hour of battery life left.

It's not cheap but I'm completely happy buying it. My volume with ear buds was always far too loud, so this will fix that. It's also nice it works with the IMSA wiring on my helmet. I can report more when I'm back in a car with a student in the spring.
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2016, 11:10 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

It seems to be very high quality. The mic is a heavy flex cable just like if you have your helmet professional wired. The speaker portion is a nice plastic piece that is screwed together (not snapped). The connector wire is heat shrinked to the mic cable to keep it from pulling out. Overall very nice.

The Peltor unit seems great. It has seperate volume controls and is powered by a 9v battery. The battery is supposed to last 10ish hours. There is a LED that is green and it turns red when there is approx. 1 hour of battery life left.

It's not cheap but I'm completely happy buying it. My volume with ear buds was always far too loud, so this will fix that. It's also nice it works with the IMSA wiring on my helmet. I can report more when I'm back in a car with a student in the spring.
Perfect!!! I didn't see it on his website, but I'll ask him.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:18 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Call the guys at hms.. they just brought out a new intercom that is much needed. It's somewhere between the Chatterbox and and pro aviation intercoms...

I was up there a couple of weeks ago, and they said it's just about ready for market... I have an early prototype and it works well.

No affiliation, just a happy customer.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:42 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Perfect!!! I didn't see it on his website, but I'll ask him.
+1, I reached out this morning for more info.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:59 AM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The dual volume control is really needed. I have a Stilo with built in muffs and comm. My student always needs it much louder than I do. The students with open face helmets are an issue as well with all the wind noise in their mic. I don't know why it is so hard for them to know if the earpiece is actually over their ear or not, but I get a lot of students that can't place it over their ear.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:09 PM
Pilot_951S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. I'm happy to see there is so much interest in this product. Feel free to go to my website to email me, respond here, or PM me. I haven't had time to update my website with this product information, and I probably won't until after the PRI trade show.

-Drew
Old 11-30-2016, 11:56 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I used the student part of this yesterday at Sebring.
it worked really really well. the only issue I had in one session I had trouble hearing my coach and I think put the earpiece in the wrong way speaker facing away from my ear...

I am now considering buying a stilo with imsa connectors...

Last edited by MarcD147; 12-01-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:22 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MarcD147
I used the student part of this yesterday at Sebring.
it worked really Delete repeated word well. the only issue I had in one session I had trouble hearing my coach and I think put the earpiece in the wrong way speaker facing away from my ear...

I am now considering buying a stilo with imsa connectors...
Also consider having your current helmet wired for ear buds and a mic. Depending on how many years it has left, it's fit, etc., it might be worth keeping it. But, having your helmet wired, whether a Stilo or professionally by someone like Speedcom, is worth it, IMHO.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:30 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Andrew shared some interesting insights with me on the IMSA style connectors...which is that despite appearing to all be the same there are different variations in how each of them is wired.

Chart describing the different wiring.

http://www.ruggedradios.com/images/w...-Explained.jpg

Unfortunately this means integrating with Stilo electronics vs. Peltor vs. standard IMSA means different wiring per whatever radio set you are using. That also means the Peltor radio isn't plug and play with the built-in electronics in my Stilo helmet.

He's looking to see if he can make a student headset to work with the Stilo WRC 03 communicator which is similar to the Peltor. If he can make that happen I'm all for it and think this would be a great solution.

Quick Reply: Helmet communicator for DE