Old 10-26-2016, 03:05 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Default TWS not dead yet - 2017 Dates

Got this message today, pasted below.

-Mike

Good afternoon everyone.
It had been confirmed that Texas World Speedway will be open in 2017 for the full year.

Upcoming PDS dates are as follows:

November 19-20, 2016 (Green group on a wait list)
December 17-18, 2016 (Registration opens next week)
January 28-29, 2017
February 18-19, 2017
March 11-12, 2017
April 15, 2017 (1-Day event)
May 6-7, 2017

These dates are subject to change. Keep an eye on the TWS calendar and clubregistration for updates.

Thank you,
Levica Smith
Registrar, PDS at TWS
pds@texasworldspeedway.com
Old 10-26-2016, 03:43 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Was surprised to see that today as well. I'm hoping we get another PCA club race date as well. Let's see.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:17 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

guess ill have to start driving pds.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:20 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzyj
PDS is pretty good- 8 sessions per day if you're solo.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:51 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
PDS is pretty good- 8 sessions per day if you're solo.
Even instructing, with one student, you can rack up the seat time. Just prepped the car for this weekend and holy crap did I go through the consumables last month.

One trick I used to do as a student is sign up for Sat only. Get 8 sessions in and compress a weekend DE to one day. Made work on Monday a lot easier. Once or twice I ran the full 16 sessions and actually hit the point of too much track time - I didn't think that was even possible.

-Mike
Old 10-26-2016, 07:58 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzyj
You bringing your car this weekend?

They made the decision to keep the track open the first of October. It will be curious to see if they put any money into the facilities, they desperately need some help.

Last edited by rlm328; 10-26-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:38 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Even instructing, with one student, you can rack up the seat time. Just prepped the car for this weekend and holy crap did I go through the consumables last month.

One trick I used to do as a student is sign up for Sat only. Get 8 sessions in and compress a weekend DE to one day. Made work on Monday a lot easier. Once or twice I ran the full 16 sessions and actually hit the point of too much track time - I didn't think that was even possible.

-Mike
Most I ever did was 13 sessions. And that was due to fog 1 morning or I might have done them all. I have a hard time any more doing more than 4 a day.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:32 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
You bringing your car this weekend?

They made the decision to keep the track open the first of October. It will be curious to see if they put any money into the facilities, they desperately need some help.
Drama continues. My car will be ready the very day tws actually closes for good

8 sessions a day is a lot of seat time. Pretty sweet
Old 10-27-2016, 10:58 AM
BobKid
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really need to break down and hit TWS this coming year. After 12 DEs at MSRC, I need to see how well my skills transfer to another track.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:28 PM
Misdirection
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great news, I guess. It is sort of like a terminally-ill loved-one whose illness keeps dragging on.

PDS is awesome. The one-day trick is definitely a good one. When I first started, I would be wiped out after four sessions. As I progressed, it took less of a toll. But then when you start approaching much higher limits, it starts to be tiring again. For me, seven sessions in a day is just about right.

Originally Posted by BobKid
I really need to break down and hit TWS this coming year. After 12 DEs at MSRC, I need to see how well my skills transfer to another track.
Why haven't you yet? Something about TWS feels like a "big boy" track in a way the smaller regional ones can't (MSRC, H2R, MSRH, etc). That said, I think you will benefit more transferring skills from MSRC to TWS than you would going from TWS to MSRC. MSRC is more technical and you probably learn to move the car around more/earlier. Just my opinion. TWS will reward smoothness [even] more, and you have to get used to doing everything at higher speeds.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:43 PM
BobKid
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Misdirection
Why haven't you yet? Something about TWS feels like a "big boy" track in a way the smaller regional ones can't (MSRC, H2R, MSRH, etc). That said, I think you will benefit more transferring skills from MSRC to TWS than you would going from TWS to MSRC. MSRC is more technical and you probably learn to move the car around more/earlier. Just my opinion. TWS will reward smoothness [even] more, and you have to get used to doing everything at higher speeds.

Mainly proximity. It's nice to drive all day and still sleep in my own bed at night. I spend 75-100 nights a year in hotels for work, and it's tough to leave when I do get time at home. And since my wife and I each drive our own cars at DEs, I needed to pickup a decent trailer to at least tow one car there and back just in case we break something. Got the trailer now and brought it up to highway specs, so that's one less excuse.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:22 PM
Misdirection
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobKid
Mainly proximity. It's nice to drive all day and still sleep in my own bed at night. I spend 75-100 nights a year in hotels for work, and it's tough to leave when I do get time at home. And since my wife and I each drive our own cars at DEs, I needed to pickup a decent trailer to at least tow one car there and back just in case we break something. Got the trailer now and brought it up to highway specs, so that's one less excuse.
I get that. That's mainly why I don't get to MSRC more
Old 10-29-2016, 12:39 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Awesome. Yes we need a club race there!
Old 06-15-2017, 11:38 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It's ALIIIIVE!!! Or is it?

I just read a blurb about the 'last weekend at TWS before they shut the doors'...

What's the update on TWS from the locals? I have some good memories of that circuit.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:06 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
It's ALIIIIVE!!! Or is it?

I just read a blurb about the 'last weekend at TWS before they shut the doors'...

What's the update on TWS from the locals? I have some good memories of that circuit.
It is almost certainly the end when we get into December. More and more indicators including involvement of a new developer for the planned subdivision. :-(

In the mean time, there's still opportunities to drive it. PDS has DE's every month till the end.

Quick Reply: TWS not dead yet - 2017 Dates