Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who was your worst student and what did they do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 02:41 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

When I got signed off to solo, my instructor was very clear that I was not to crash.

"Don't crash." he said. "It'll make me look bad".

I didn't crash.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:39 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a father and son, in different run groups in a 997 Turbo cab. I'd come in from one run, and the other driver/student would climb in, and I never left the car. The son had some skill, but wanted to drift all the time....had to disabuse him of that...!! But he was coachable - we made good progress.

But his father was timid, and we're sitting on the grid for the first run, and he says,...."I can't do this!"
So I said , Oh, you can...and you will....we're at the back of the grid and we're gonna take it real easy at first." We made ok progress after that. Then I said, "I want you to ride with me", and I showed him what his car would do at a quick, but reasonable pace. His eyes were like saucers - but I could tell he got it. We made tremendous progress after that.....and they both couldn't thank me enough! It was a GOOD day.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:12 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

This doesn't really qualify as "having a worst student" but I thought I'd share anyway.......

I'm not an "official" instructor of any sort, but on two occasions recently I was asked to take a passenger with me on a run. This was with a group not marque-affiliated that allows advanced solo drivers to take passengers with them.

First time it was with a young fellow who had shown an interest in getting involved with the hobby--we sat in my Mini and talked before hitting the track and during our conversation I asked him straight away if he had any problems with motion sickness--I made a point of this because I do lean that way in the right seat (one of the big reasons I've chosen not to instruct). He said he had no such issues (you can probably now guess where this is going ).

Anyway, first lap all was well; I was talking to him and he was enjoying the ride.....same with lap 2. Midway though lap 3 I asked how he was doing.....

Silence.

"Are you going to be sick?"

Head nods in the affirmative.

Off the track and onto the grass we go--door flies open and he gets his CLOSED-FACE helmet off just in time to lose whatever he had. Bummer...I did really feel bad for him.

Second occasion was with a fairly new instructor who had not been to this particular track before; asked him the same question about motion sickness and he said yes!

"Then how do you instruct? Do you take meds?"
"No--I seem to be able to battle through it after a few minutes."

Great.

So off we go at a greatly reduced pace, and sure enough, on lap three he asked me to bring the car in. I did, and he managed not to lose it, but I don't know if he ended up doing any instructing that weekend....

I'm sure the experienced instructors out there have encountered this--I didn't read all of this thread so I apologize if it's been discussed. Must be my driving...

Gary

Last edited by gbuff; 03-27-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:11 PM
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Worst?

Worst student? Since I'm self taught...that would be me!

G
Old 03-23-2017, 08:40 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re motion sickness and right seat...two words: NUX VOMICA.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:18 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Don't think I'll be taking any of THAT anytime soon.....strychnine?!

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...e=NUX%20VOMICA
Old 03-24-2017, 12:39 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Sure enough, the LAST run of the day, OF the last day the yellow came out,, and a absolutely Totaled car comes in bounced off the wall at the top of the esses at WGI like a ping pong ball, I cant imaging the second guessing that went on in the instructors mind that signed that guy off.
No second guessing...The instructor signed him off not to have to ride with the clown that was about to crash!
Old 03-24-2017, 08:54 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
No second guessing...The instructor signed him off not to have to ride with the clown that was about to crash!
I believe there's some consensus in my little circle of track friends that my instructor may have had the same motivation.

I respectfully disagree. Because I didn't crash.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:51 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

At least he warned me ahead of time.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:57 AM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Originally Posted by gbuff
Don't think I'll be taking any of THAT anytime soon.....strychnine?!

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...e=NUX%20VOMICA
Hey it if works MS as well as ED ..... I'm thinkin'... Rennlist product of choice
Old 03-24-2017, 10:19 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Amazon Amazon

Bonine: also available at Wally World. I take one before every DE day or Chump Car race.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:00 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
https://www.amazon.com/Bonine-Motion...000YA8NYQ?th=1

Bonine: also available at Wally World. I take one before every DE day or Chump Car race.
Really rather not take ANYTHING......
Old 03-24-2017, 07:00 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Scopolamine patch works pretty well to reduce right seat car sickness. It does require a doctor's prescription.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:17 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Well, I probably wasn't the worst student, but had an instructor taking me around Thunderhill to get some better ideas of the track. Probably my third time there. Kept getting better and better all session, but I'd slow down too much going into Turn 2. So I listened to him and didn't brake much at all, and kept it in third. Heading into the corner he's yelling brake, Brake, BRAKE. I was committed and just went in, the rear end started to slide out, but the turn is wide enough that a little steering correction saved my butt. On the way to Turn 3 he said, "Nice save".

The instructors don't particularly like my car, a 964 Tiptronic, as it will shift in the middle of the curve. It never bothers me, as it really doesn't upset the car, but the instructors aren't used to it in the older pcars.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:47 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Originally Posted by gbuff
Really rather not take ANYTHING......
Agreed. A woman who instructed me couple of years ago shared a good tip: keep your eyes up as if you are driving even when you are in the right seat. It works 99% of the time, except on tracks where there is significant elevation change and the student has a stock suspension. Then the Nux comes out.
Plus other problems get solved as well.

Quick Reply: Who was your worst student and what did they do?