Sponsored by:

Ever had a student...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 10:08 AM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
For the NJMP guys, it ran a 1:39 on Thunderbolt.
Whoa...that's pretty damn impressive for a Macan off the showroom floor!
Old 03-23-2017, 10:11 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel

I've played racing video games for most of my life
OK, now I feel old.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:20 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32
Yeah but those Macan's have some serious horsepower, depending on which model
Old 03-23-2017, 10:32 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Yeah but those Macan's have some serious horsepower, depending on which model
That was an S, not even a Turbo (even though it's still a twin turbo LOL)

And it is running on the base steel springs with no torque vectoring or anything like that. Just a Macan S with Sports Chrono and PSE... It has completely changed my thinking of what these things are capable of and when people ask me how I like it I just giggle and tell them in my opinion it is the best all around vehicle on the road.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:34 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
OK, now I feel old.
LOL! The first driving game I remember playing a lot of was Vette! for the PC. You got to drive all over San Francisco. It was primitive but fun.

Remember Super Monaco GP for Sega Genesis??

Later came some Need for Speed games and other stuff.

On our third date I impressed my girlfriend by dominating at Daytona USA at an an arcade. I seem to recall her telling some story about an ex-boyfriend being pretty good at it or something. Later, she married me.

Then eventually came the Gran Turismo era of my early adulthood.

I'm not exactly young.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:40 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Thats interesting since PCA under their minimum standards allows it in the lower run groups. Why did your region disallow them? What about convertibles?

I would think that a Macan would be safer than an Omni.

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
I would think anything would be safer than an Omni!!

Thanks Omni, they aren't alone, a lot of regions will not allow them and it is because they classify it no different than a Cayenne which is crazy.

Sometimes it is down to the individual track but more often than not it is the region. Then when they are allowed you have to deal with all the comments about how it shouldn't be there, not a real Porsche etc etc until they see what it is actually capable of and people are usually more inquisitive and far more positive than derogatory by the end of the day...

Most impressive aspect of the Macan even more than it's handling was by far it's brakes... Bone stock yet no fade, no cooked fluid, nothing but predictable all day long no matter how hard they were pushed to slow 4000+ pounds from 130 mph lap after lap. It is when I realized what Porsche engineering really meant. Now it tows the Boxster!
The concern is more size and ride height. Granted the Macan is less so than the Cayenne, but I think it's just easier to police "no SUVs, sports cars only" than to start splitting hairs and winding up with the argument on the flip side: Cayenne owners stating they're only a "little bit" bigger than the Macan, etc.

The taller vehicle can be harder to see around in a conga line.

The taller vehicle MAY have a better chance at actually clearing OVER trackside barriers. I can tell you that at one of our local tracks (which we run 4-5 events a year at), some barrier is armco. The rest is dirt berms. A sports car might "auger in" to the dirt. But the Macan/Cayenne have nice "approach angles" and as such is more likely to just roll up and over them.

Collision concerns. Tall vehicle against, say, a 914. Better chance of the SUV climbing up and over the back end of a 914, vs. another sports car.

To me, I can see their point, and am inclined to agree. I do my best to steer them towards autocross when those folks come around.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:43 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

LOL! The first driving game I remember playing a lot of was Vette! for the PC. You got to drive all over San Francisco. It was primitive but fun.

Remember Super Monaco GP for Sega Genesis??

Later came some Need for Speed games and other stuff.

On our third date I impressed my girlfriend by dominating at Daytona USA at an an arcade. I seem to recall her telling some story about an ex-boyfriend being pretty good at it or something. Later, she married me.

Then eventually came the Gran Turismo era of my early adulthood.

I'm not exactly young.
Oh wow I remember Vette! I thought it was SO COOL because you actually had a map that came with the game and got to drive around on streets. Until then, all the driving games were a fixed path.

My first foray into PC simulators was the original Test Drive by Accolade. The fact that it had the actual dashboard from the Porsche hooked me. Used to play it with a keyboard.

Now I look at iRacing in VR, and how damned REAL it feels... and I marvel at how far we've come.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:57 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
The concern is more size and ride height. Granted the Macan is less so than the Cayenne, but I think it's just easier to police "no SUVs, sports cars only" than to start splitting hairs and winding up with the argument on the flip side: Cayenne owners stating they're only a "little bit" bigger than the Macan, etc.

The taller vehicle can be harder to see around in a conga line.

The taller vehicle MAY have a better chance at actually clearing OVER trackside barriers. I can tell you that at one of our local tracks (which we run 4-5 events a year at), some barrier is armco. The rest is dirt berms. A sports car might "auger in" to the dirt. But the Macan/Cayenne have nice "approach angles" and as such is more likely to just roll up and over them.

Collision concerns. Tall vehicle against, say, a 914. Better chance of the SUV climbing up and over the back end of a 914, vs. another sports car.

To me, I can see their point, and am inclined to agree. I do my best to steer them towards autocross when those folks come around.

Valid concerns but it would be a lot easier for some students to understand the physics involved if we were all driving Suburbans. My 2500 is a bit too heavily sprung but the 1500 was a blast. Talk about rotation.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:04 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sbelles
Valid concerns but it would be a lot easier for some students to understand the physics involved if we were all driving Suburbans. My 2500 is a bit too heavily sprung but the 1500 was a blast. Talk about rotation.
Well yeah.

Everybody should start out in a 300k mile, totally worn out, bald tires, first-generation Mazda Miata. In the rain.

You'll learn more in an hour about driving dynamics there than most n00bs learn in a full season driving a brand new 911 with PSM left on the whole time.

And my old 2500 definitely felt like it handled better than the 1500 I'd traded in for it....
Old 03-23-2017, 12:06 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Dang. Now I want to bring my Wrangler to DE!
Old 03-23-2017, 12:10 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Dang. Now I want to bring my Wrangler to DE!
One of my buddies, who happens to be a tech at the shop building my car, has a monster CJ. Big motor, big tires, etc. He keeps talking trash about how he's gonna school us all at an autocross in it.

I said, "If you bring that thing to an AX, I will comp your entry fee." LOL.

Quick Reply: Ever had a student...