Sponsored by:

944 race car cuts out hard right turns

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 03:51 PM
racer466
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 race car cuts out hard right turns

Unless the tank is full the car stalls right after a hard right turn. Many people with the problem have replaced the screen/strainer in the tank and problem solved - I tried that did not help. I checked the vent hose coming out of the sending unit in trunk area. Im assuming the one on the right is the vent hose, pumped some air in the line and had a friend place finger over vent line that goes to charcol canister. Very little air came through and now no air comes through in fact some fuel spit back out of the line.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-13-2016, 05:44 PM
AceMktg
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Diaphragm inside gas tank may have failed. If so, it will get worse.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:07 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Had same issue with mine but only when below 1/2 of tank, if you figure it out please post solution.
Phil
Old 09-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming this is a later, plastic tank car, unscrew and remove the fuel level sender from the top of the tank and then look straight down into the tank. At the bottom of the tank there should be a yellow plastic swirl pot that the strainer sits inside of, on the tank outlet. Make sure the pot is properly there and has the lid attached. I have seen 2 problems here. The lid of the swirl pot has come off and that allows fuel to travel away from the outlet prematurely or to entire swirl pot has become detached from the tank and is floating free in the tank. This just happened to me and any right hand corner will pull fuel away from the outlet. PITA to fix as there is very little access.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:16 PM
714evo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Run nascar?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Quick Reply: 944 race car cuts out hard right turns