Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Stress of Racing- don't underestimate it. Stress is more.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:00 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 744 Posts

BWHAHAHAHAHA!

I have always felt that Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms would be a great name for a convenience store...and are race grid essentials
Old 09-05-2016, 01:53 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
During the 2015 PCA race at WGI we got black flagged during the enduro because of fog and sat in pit lane for about 30 minutes. One by one the 55 and over crowd jumped out of their cars and peed on the pit wall. It was like a Flomax commercial.
That's bleeping hysterical. At least they were hidden by the fog....
Old 09-21-2016, 02:05 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Follow up- I passed my urine retest. Everthing was within spec.

THEN I raced with HSR at RA this past w/e. It only got up to 88F Max and was cooler in the am than Barber that w/e, but the days were long so I drank about 1.5-2L water with Nuun tablets dissolved. Ate oatmeal, bananas etc. and a bit of lunch all three days. I gained 1 lb. from Thurs to Mon.

As I said it wasn't nearly as hot to compare, but no question I had better intake. I think I would have passed the test if taken again Monday after.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:19 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

it looks like you still didn't drink enough....

recommendations are that you drink 2L on a normal day.... so if you have high activity/stress/heat etc you should drink more.

on a DE day I drink around 2L of water plus vitamin water zero plus a small Gatorade.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:01 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

There were other liquids consumed- prob another +16 oz. Based on inflow/outflow (frequency of urination) I was hydrated.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:31 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,565 Posts

I hiked Mount Marcy in NYS (highest peak) this summer on a relatively cool day. Took me about 10 hours not counting the break at the top.

I drank 5 liters of water during the hike and drank at least another 2 liters that night (plus a few pints of beer.)
Old 09-22-2016, 06:19 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v4.0
Follow up- I passed my urine retest. Everthing was within spec.

THEN I raced with HSR at RA this past w/e. It only got up to 88F Max and was cooler in the am than Barber that w/e, but the days were long so I drank about 1.5-2L water with Nuun tablets dissolved. Ate oatmeal, bananas etc. and a bit of lunch all three days. I gained 1 lb. from Thurs to Mon.

As I said it wasn't nearly as hot to compare, but no question I had better intake. I think I would have passed the test if taken again Monday after.

If you had gotten tested after I bet it would have been good results. Progress for sure.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:02 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
And ZERO sexual contact for 2 weeks prior to all high performance driving activities.

Or is it after?

Wife told me a few weeks back and I already have forgotten...
It's both before and after.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:42 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcD147
it looks like you still didn't drink enough....

recommendations are that you drink 2L on a normal day.... so if you have high activity/stress/heat etc you should drink more.

on a DE day I drink around 2L of water plus vitamin water zero plus a small Gatorade.
That 2L suggestion is complete nonsense. That's all based on some stupid study done by a "researcher" that was funded by .... *drumroll* ... Danone

In a normal day to day situation your body is perfectly capable of regulating how much you should drink. There is no scientific evidence that drinking 2L of water a day is "better" for you (except maybe if you have kidney issues). If anything it's even proven that drinking too much causes your kidney filtration to work less efficiently.

And even when performing endurance activities one should be very careful not to drink too much (especially if you only drink water without adding sodium and other additives ...). People already died during marathons from drinking too much water (thereby lowering their sodium levels way too much). You have to drink "enough", not "as much as you can". I agree on the "hydrate before it's too late" advice, just don't overdo it (pee color will help you there ).

To the topic starter: I once had to do an insurance related urine test the day after I drove in a karting competition. That was in the day when I was a really bad karting driver, so I did get banged up quite badly in the kart. My back was completely blue and I also had blood in my urine. Did the same test a week later and all was fine.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:19 PM
Rich B
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's another cautionary tale to add to the above...
in last May's WRL race at TWS, they had 45 minute Friday sprints - I am used to running 2 hour stints. I have been on blood pressure meds for about 10 years or so, but in the year prior, had lost some weight, and gotten in better shape.

My sprint was at about 1:00 PM or so, temps in the low 90's; I knew that I was behind in my fluids - but no big deal, it's only 45 minutes; I had a cool shirt that I did not use - because it was only 45 minutes.

So, I ran my sprint, and won it - but was feeling pretty rotten at the end of the 45 minutes - not tired, but kind of lightheaded and dizzy. Then I went back to the garage and got out of the car.... Next thing I know I am laying on the ground and a bunch of people are asking me if I'm OK. I went COMPLETELY LIGHTS OUT!! - for about 30 seconds, or so I am told. Apparently, it was quite dramatic. Ambulance and all...

My son, who was to drive his own sprint 45 minutes later, was rather concerned.

I was just fine afterwards, but didn't race for the rest of the weekend, just to be safe. Once he saw me awake, son was OK and went on to drive and win his sprint.

After getting back, I then got a complete work up, starting with a family practice doc that does sports medicine. Turns out that after I lost the weight, my base blood pressure decreased; as the physiologic demand increased duirng the race - aided no doubt by the heat and partial dehidration - my blood pressure simply could not keep up. Once I stood up to get out of the car, i was toast.

So - I am no longer on BP meds, and make damn sure to be as cool as I can, and as well hydrated as I can. Last time out, I did a full 2- hour stint, and felt absolutely perfect; and thinking back, better than I had in a long, long time.

My take home is that if you're on BP meds, there is such as thing as being over-medicated.

Cheers
Rich B.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:00 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich B
My sprint was at about 1:00 PM or so, temps in the low 90's; I knew that I was behind in my fluids - but no big deal, it's only 45 minutes; I had a cool shirt that I did not use - because it was only 45 minutes.

So, I ran my sprint, and won it - but was feeling pretty rotten at the end of the 45 minutes - not tired, but kind of lightheaded and dizzy. Then I went back to the garage and got out of the car.... Next thing I know I am laying on the ground and a bunch of people are asking me if I'm OK. I went COMPLETELY LIGHTS OUT!! - for about 30 seconds, or so I am told. Apparently, it was quite dramatic. Ambulance and all...
Had something similar happen to me last year. Drove for 30 minutes, all went well until they ended the session and I started cruising to the pit entry. As soon as I stopped driving at full pull I started having the same symptoms you describe, and the only thing I could think of at that point in time was "I need to get out". Luckily I didn't pass out, but I needed a lot of fluids and cooling once I got out of the car. It took a while to recover.

Checked the logger afterwards. Apparently it was 130deg F in the car ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Stress of Racing- don't underestimate it. Stress is more.