Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are RAM mounts approved for PCA HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 04:46 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Are RAM mounts approved for PCA HPDE?

I've done a lot of searching on this. There are many discussions of it being used on track but no one says specifically that it's approved.

I just want to make sure.

I'm considering a windshield suction cup mount.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:52 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I've used them in PCA DE's with no one looking twice, they are very stout mounts!
Old 08-15-2016, 04:55 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

I'd say contact your DE chair to get a definitive answer for your region. LSR PCA requires suction mounted devices to be tethered. I made a tether with a CamKix kit from Amazon. Have seen zip ties used also.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2016, 05:13 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

Where are you attaching the mount? Some regions will want them tethered when using a suction cup mount so check the tech rules for the region you will be running with. They are widely used in HPDE and racing and across all different groups from PCA, NASA, SCCA, BMWCCA etc. They are well made and reasonably priced.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,667 Posts

The RAM Suction Cup mounts are, with a very few exceptions (SCCA being one), permitted in DE events throughout the country.

While the tether is not a bad idea (I first ran into this racing at MRLS a few years ago), I have NEVER heard of one coming loose from well-cleaned glass, even after some pretty severe incidents. And between Matt, Jerry, Mark and I, we've sold thousands...

Obviously, to prevent surprises, clear it with the region/organization-who-is-running-the-event's tech person in advance or check the supps carefully.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-15-2016, 05:25 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Where are you attaching the mount? Some regions will want them tethered when using a suction cup mount so check the tech rules for the region you will be running with. They are widely used in HPDE and racing and across all different groups from PCA, NASA, SCCA, BMWCCA etc. They are well made and reasonably priced.
On the windshield.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Make sure you clean the inside of the glass with some serious glass cleaner, make sure the suction cup is clean as well and don't allow any portion of the suction cup to go over antennas, sun screen joints or any other irregular surface on the inside of the glass.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:35 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

badabing:
I concur with what Peter said. Clean glass and installed properly, they won't come off, but some regions will require you to add a tether to your device.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I've run into a few rear windows that have a slight curve where it will end up releasing after about 30 minutes, but never a problem on a front windshield.

The triple ram mount is actually used inside commercial airliners to mount tablets with the electronic flight maps. I had a great conversation with the head of testing at RAM about the G loads they will take. They are very impressive.

Back to the topic, I haven't run into any DE events where they were not allowed. Sometimes a tether was required, but only rarely.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:07 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

For DEs, It varies from Region to Region. I always use a tether and at least once, I needed it.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:14 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Just one caveat to add to the above - Ram mounts are usually allowed for mounting inside the car...suction cup mounts outside the vehicle are not allowed in some regions (greater risk of the camera hitting someone else's car).

I've used a ram mount on my windshield and on the bar between the seats in my Cayman - no problems with either.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:38 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

From my region's track chair;

"We do not type approve specific mounts. However, you are permitted to use suction cup mounts inside the car. Outside, any device such as a camera must be either mounted on a hard mount, or tethered. "

Thanks

Quick Reply: Are RAM mounts approved for PCA HPDE?