Sponsored by:

Childhood memory of strange 'motorsport'

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 09:15 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Childhood memory of strange 'motorsport'

When I was a kid, I have fond memories of watching racing on TV with my father including stock cars, Indy cars and of course Figure 8 Racing and demolition derby.

I also remember a really strange sport where guys would jump off the back of a speeding car and slide on some sort of pad/metal. I remember this being on TV.

Yes, this is perhaps the oddest post I've ever made here and I make a lot of odd posts.

Was this sport from my imaginary friend or does someone here know what I'm talking about?
Old 06-27-2016, 09:47 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2016, 09:51 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

wow. I have a fuzzy memory of an event more like a thrill show with, jumps, driving on 2 wheels etc. At some point a guy with a metal plate in his pants holds on to the bumper of a car and drags along behind on his feet, then slides on his butt. Is that what you recall? Or did I dream that?

One of my earliest real motorsport memories is the 1966 24hrs of Le Mans. The announcers kept calling the GT-40s " the 7 liter Fords" and I didn't know what they meant.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:47 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Maybe it was Evil Kneivel or something like that! Right up there with the world's strongest man competitions where the guys engaged in a footrace while carrying refrigerators!
Old 06-27-2016, 01:54 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zedcat
wow. I have a fuzzy memory of an event more like a thrill show with, jumps, driving on 2 wheels etc. At some point a guy with a metal plate in his pants holds on to the bumper of a car and drags along behind on his feet, then slides on his butt. Is that what you recall? Or did I dream that?

One of my earliest real motorsport memories is the 1966 24hrs of Le Mans. The announcers kept calling the GT-40s " the 7 liter Fords" and I didn't know what they meant.
YES!
I think that's how it worked. Really weird.

And VR, very funny!
Old 06-27-2016, 02:29 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

I remember that guy, he had titanium plates on his hands, elbows, and knees, and butt.. would get dragged down a dragstrip at night making a big spectacle of sparks...

Looked it up.. Jim Bailey... Now I really remember him, he died trying to do the stunt hanging from the bottom of a plane... Didn't count on the extra weight of the suit and lost his grip mid air...
Old 06-27-2016, 02:58 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Crappy video but here's the guy.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:51 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
When I was a kid, I have fond memories of watching racing on TV with my father including stock cars, Indy cars and of course Figure 8 Racing and demolition derby.

I also remember a really strange sport where guys would jump off the back of a speeding car and slide on some sort of pad/metal. I remember this being on TV.

Yes, this is perhaps the oddest post I've ever made here and I make a lot of odd posts.

Was this sport from my imaginary friend or does someone here know what I'm talking about?
Odd? You? Nah.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:57 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jscott82
I remember that guy, he had titanium plates on his hands, elbows, and knees, and butt.. would get dragged down a dragstrip at night making a big spectacle of sparks...

Looked it up.. Jim Bailey... Now I really remember him, he died trying to do the stunt hanging from the bottom of a plane... Didn't count on the extra weight of the suit and lost his grip mid air...
Originally Posted by sbelles
It's not quite how I remember it, but that might be the same guy.

Originally Posted by morsini
Odd? You? Nah.
Takes one to know one Michael!
Old 06-27-2016, 03:59 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, you know what they say about people who live in CA. What's not fruits or flakes is nuts!
Old 06-27-2016, 09:41 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Dave, tell me about your childhood......

Gary

...almost reminds me of when, as kids, during wintertime we would jump on the rear bumper of an unsuspecting car and squat/slide down the road behind it on our feet. Of course, three of us tried it on my brother's '65 Bug and ended up with the bumper in our hands.....

Quick Reply: Childhood memory of strange 'motorsport'