Solo drivers....Music?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 01:00 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilT3
Though, someone once said to me that they specifically DON'T listen since when they are 'wheel to wheel' there will be the sounds from other cars and it will be difficult to discern which car is producing the sound.
After a while you will know EXACTLY what your car sounds like and what it should sound like. Of course this threw off a lot of people at Watkins Glen with the new sticky pavement this year - so you need to adjust to your environment. I'm a big fan of using all my senses on the track for driving.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:15 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,286 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I often wish i had some music whike waiting on grid. Sometines the pit crew gets to hear me sing and its a wonder they still torque my wheels!
Old 06-20-2016, 01:17 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

It should be against rules to allow for any music to be played.

No place for it on track. It distracts from concentration and worse it conceals noises from your car and tires.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:17 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I often wish i had some music whike waiting on grid. Sometines the pit crew gets to hear me sing and its a wonder they still torque my wheels!
Ummm, they're doing things to the car so they don't have to listen to you sing.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:38 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,286 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Ummm, they're doing things to the car so they don't have to listen to you sing.
I suspect as much.

I wonder how many people talk a lot during a race. I'm told that I am chatty but then I go quiet when I am concentrating. Depends on the race.

Of course if you haven't said "leave me alone I know what I am doing" to your pit crew during the race you are just doing it wrong!
Old 06-20-2016, 09:42 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
After a while you will know EXACTLY what your car sounds like and what it should sound like. Of course this threw off a lot of people at Watkins Glen with the new sticky pavement this year - so you need to adjust to your environment. I'm a big fan of using all my senses on the track for driving.
I would tend to agree re using all my senses.

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
It should be against rules to allow for any music to be played.

No place for it on track. It distracts from concentration and worse it conceals noises from your car and tires.
Though, to play devils advocate.... Wouldn't the ability to concentrate with music really be on an individual case basis? I could argue that some people can concentrate better, while others can't concentrate at all with music playing.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:03 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilT3
I would tend to agree re using all my senses.

Though, to play devils advocate.... Wouldn't the ability to concentrate with music really be on an individual case basis? I could argue that some people can concentrate better, while others can't concentrate at all with music playing.
I don't know how that could be. Listening to music, while not as distracting as having a conversation, uses some percent of brain processing. Who here would settle for even a 1% reduction in brain analytical function during a race?
Old 06-20-2016, 10:31 PM
johneecatt
Pro

My first instructor took me out in his Lotus - cranking rock the whole time. Then he would cruise through the pits, turn it up and LAUGH...............
Old 06-20-2016, 10:36 PM
noturavgm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Radio DIN area is occupied in my car, but I bet it would be fun on the grid for getting in the mindset before going out, or rocking out on the cool down lap.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:55 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

I don't know how that could be. Listening to music, while not as distracting as having a conversation, uses some percent of brain processing. Who here would settle for even a 1% reduction in brain analytical function during a race?
That's what I was thinking as well...

Another case in point:
Was passing a car on the outside coming into a hard braking zone. I knew he was behind and on my left, but in my blindspot so I could not see him. Just before it was time to turn-in for the corner could hear him start to lock the brakes.. I was able to delay my turn-in a little so he could get his car under control and we were both able to finish a nice run together... Had I not been able to hear him, this non-incident would have become one.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:04 PM
Black Box
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both windows down, the sound deadening remove from the interior and a loud exhaust, I can't hear my radio.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:27 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Earlier on when I started doing DEs years ago I would have the radio or music playing. I found once I got focused on driving the music got filtered out and I only heard the car and the track. I only heard it when I reviewed the videos after the fact. Now I just shut it off.

For some people it can create a distraction, so I wouldn't recommend it to a student and can interfere with communications between instructor and student.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:49 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Hmmm...? Interesting point here. I can understand that position/ thought.

Again...just interested in this general conversation and not intended to 'judge' or be controversial of any opinion here.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:02 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jscott82
That's what I was thinking as well...

Another case in point:
Was passing a car on the outside coming into a hard braking zone. I knew he was behind and on my left, but in my blindspot so I could not see him. Just before it was time to turn-in for the corner could hear him start to lock the brakes.. I was able to delay my turn-in a little so he could get his car under control and we were both able to finish a nice run together... Had I not been able to hear him, this non-incident would have become one.
Wow. Glad to hear you caught it!

Let me offer this additional condition...in regards to the VOLUME in which the music is played.................
What if it's not loud enough to drown out any substantial sounds such as tires locking up.
And so it would be 'background' music. Like a 'theme song'. Lol
Considering that; your windows are down, your helmet is on (in my case I have the built in ear phones that are 'over the ear') and any loud exhaust.

I realize this may be a bit 'out there'.... But come on...if you love music this could be pretty awesome. Obviously if it impedes safety in any way than forget it...no doubt.

But if you are not 'racing' and just want to have some fun at a DE, then this could be an awesome option to have! I mean, at this stage for me, I'm doing this for pure enjoyment and driving pleasure...and so isn't it all about having 'FUN'. Hey, I can DREAM, can't I.....?!?!?!

Old 06-21-2016, 12:04 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CDinSing
Earlier on when I started doing DEs years ago I would have the radio or music playing. I found once I got focused on driving the music got filtered out and I only heard the car and the track. I only heard it when I reviewed the videos after the fact. Now I just shut it off.

For some people it can create a distraction, so I wouldn't recommend it to a student and can interfere with communications between instructor and student.
I would absolutely agree that a student SHOULD NOT. If only due to the CRITICALITY of comms between the driver and instructor.

Quick Reply: Solo drivers....Music?