Sponsored by:

Critique my laps at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 05:54 PM
krobertson
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Critique my laps at Laguna Seca

Would appreciate some feedback and critique on how to improve.

Yesterday I was Laguna Seca for an event put on by FDR Motorsports / Niello Porsche. I'd signed up through Niello Porsche, and the way it was arranged was all the people who signed up with Niello were put into their own run group. So it was very mixed skill level, with over half of the people having never been to the track. They paired them up with instructors, but it was still a very slow pace with limited point-bys for passing. After two sessions though, I requested to switch to a normal run group and had 3 nice sessions.

Have two main laps for input on. First one is from my 3rd session and had a 1:53.85 and was my 2nd fastest lap at Laguna Seca so far. I had a 1:53.60, but HLT is failing to export it right. I had a good pace on 1:53-1:56 range that session, but know I have more room left.

I don't yet have anything for sound off turn 5, so was letting off the throttle and upshifting. Was putting in the GPS mod, but wire pulled out of the connector when putting it in. Also having side turn pipes made, but they weren't ready yet.

Other lap is from the last session. It had just stopped raining after there was a light rain for almost an hour. I dialed it back some, and really good consistency that session. This lap was 2:00.47. 4 of my 8 laps were within half a second of each other, and 6 of the 8 were within 2 seconds.

And lastly, this was ultimately what made me decide to switch run groups... a novice who was with an instructor giving me a point-by as he is turning into T11. It just didn't feel safe...

Old 05-24-2016, 07:56 PM
entityx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much track experience do you have?

You should be flat on the accelerator on the front straight going up the hill, it can be scary at first so build up to it - lots of time to be made there. You should be at least 20mph faster before you start braking in that car.

You're also slowing and coasting into most of the turns. Try to either brake later or brake less.

In terms of the point by in T11, seemed fine to me he was trying to give you the full straight.

Checkout these videos:
Old 05-24-2016, 08:49 PM
krobertson
Advanced

I only have 7 track days, 3 at Laguna Seca, and 2 in the Porsche (both at Laguna Seca).

So far, I've probably spent most of my time working on getting better at finding the right line to drive, more so than brake points, and still getting familiar with the Porsche's brakes.

So I coasting more than I should. Especially at Laguna Seca with turn 2... I don't have the best feel for cresting on turn 1 and approaching turn 2 full on. I also coast a lot leading up to 8.

I've watched Orthojoe's videos before, but will start looking at them for more brake zone info.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:17 PM
entityx
Racer

Your line looked fine and you were smooth with your steering inputs, just a matter of carrying more speed now
Old 05-24-2016, 11:31 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing wrong with coasting a little into a apex as it sets the front down. You just need to carry enough speed to use the coast....

Do yourself a favor and get some professional coaching for a day or preferably 2 before you settle for less and pick up some bad habits. Best bang for the buck you can spend....
Old 05-25-2016, 12:06 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Nothing wrong with coasting a little into a apex as it sets the front down. You just need to carry enough speed to use the coast....

Do yourself a favor and get some professional coaching for a day or preferably 2 before you settle for less and pick up some bad habits. Best bang for the buck you can spend....
He is coasting BEFORE braking, that is the improvement area EntityX is speaking of I think.

OP - head to a PCA event, get an instructor and you will get some great (free) tips to get the hang of it. The norCal PCA instructors are all excellent guys, know the tracks well, and can get you up the curve. I am too scared to sit passenger seat, but many more are brave. If you are coming to OrthoJoe's event I am sure someone will do a hotlap for you in your ride and show you the way as well (or you can ride with them in their car).

Speaking of which EntityX - on one of those GoPro cards you have my fast laps from my 997.1 GT3 at laguna - can you see if those still exist somewhere???

Also OP - that pass was perfectly fine, PCA folks will help with all of that (when to pass, how to pass, how to be passed, etc)

Last edited by audipwr1; 05-25-2016 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:26 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

There's no coasting in racing!

And no crying in baseball

Old 05-25-2016, 01:47 AM
krobertson
Advanced

Most of my track days have been with HOD, and they always emphasize point bys after fully completing your turn. After switching to the mixed group, I was fine with a late point by at T10, but guess not with a novice group.

I've also been through HOD's instructor lead sessions, and will be looking for more with various groups.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:37 PM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your line is fine but as others have noted you are coasting too much before braking for the turn. Front straight turn 1 should be flat out on the throttle and braking deep into turn 1. Just before turn 9 apex, you could be flag on the throttle as well, letting the car push you to track out. Turn 9 to turn 10 can make up a lot of time but it isn't easy to do it at the limit.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:29 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior

I'll be there with HOD this weekend and GGR June 11. Not a professional coach, but pretty good nonetheless and I can certainly bring you along. As stated previously, your line isn't bad. You're coasting and late to throttle, which I can help you with. You also need to use more of the track. Look me up.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:16 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I'm no expert and Laguna isn't my most comfortable track.
I'm running 1:50 in a stock 997.1 C2s on street tires. But here's my 2 cents :-)

First off, don't lift after the bridge. You have to stay on the throttle over the crest or the car will get light. Slow steady throttle. Also, I see you have pdk so it's a little hard to tell what's going on with your shifting but it seems like you're doing a lot of coasting through corners and then stomping on the throttle. Try squeezing the throttle earlier to settle the rear through the corner and slingshotting out. When you're coasting the car will be less planted. My car has less power than yours but I'm usually always on the throttle or the brake. I'm usually close to full throttle once I pass the apex and full throttle by the time I start unwinding the wheel.

You're line looks tidy.
I'm sure you'll get better advice but just keep doing it and try and get a ride with an instructor.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:13 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

as i mentioned to you , your lines are really good. the coasting thing will come with time.... think of the brake and gas as more "on-off" and that you can run WOT from turn 11 to turn 2 with no lift with the line you are running. practice braking on each turn at the limit of the ABS when you first touch the brake pedal. you will see how short you will be before each turn.... then , wait later and later until you find the most comfortable spot to apply the brakes and end up just before turn in. nothing wrong with feeling the car out and being a little conservative. its an expensive car and tracks like laguna are not forgiving for mistakes.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:47 PM
sf997c2s
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

This was a helpful thread. I ran a 1:54 yesterday in a 997 C2S on my first day. Still plenty of time to take out as the above comments reference. For interest, here's my lap:

Old 09-28-2016, 04:26 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

nice easy laps. you are not pushing the car engine, chassis , brakes or tires

I think i might have posted a video where i ran a 1:46 not using the brakes. you have to keep your foot in it til braking point and brake a little harder straight. take the turns at the limit of the grip feel (or the noise from street tire) and feel your way on the exit with the throttle. dont pinch off the turns , like you did with turn 11. do a high speed approach downn the main straight, hitting near redline on every shift will pick up several seconds. a 1:50 in your car should be possible being very comfortable. now you have something to shoot for next time.

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Originally Posted by sf997c2s
This was a helpful thread. I ran a 1:54 yesterday in a 997 C2S on my first day. Still plenty of time to take out as the above comments reference. For interest, here's my lap:

September 27, 2016 - YouTube
Old 09-28-2016, 06:23 PM
sf997c2s
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. Agreed. It was only my 5th DE and 1st at LS, so definitely some room. 1:50 seems achievable... plenty of fat to cut - I'm still sorting through braking zones, turn in spots, etc.

I think the best part is I'm flat out from 5 to 6 spinning about 6K revs, but it was only a 90 db day... 10 year old tech has its advantages.

Quick Reply: Critique my laps at Laguna Seca