Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCF08 - Squealing on Track

Old 05-25-2016, 02:16 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Hmm, maybe its brake residue in the rotor holes that's reacting with the pad and squealing.

All 4 rotors are new (2 track days on them) so I'm not replacing right now.
We figured that the old rotors weren't absolutely true, and so pads never did seat properly and off-gassing wasn't consistent. ???
Old 05-25-2016, 02:55 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends. Just depends...some do and some don't. Running hard with a Z06 I sounded like a bus :-) Then on the street...silent for 2 weeks.... Weird eh?
Old 05-25-2016, 09:12 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

You got black flagged at the track for noisy pads?
Old 05-25-2016, 09:28 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
You got black flagged at the track for noisy pads?
Really?

Read it again:

There was a black flag and when I pulled to the pits, besides the starter telling me what was going on the track, he mentioned I should check my pads because they were squealing loudly and he thought they might be running low.
When there is a black flag, the drivers on the track come into the hot pit or go to their pit. While the the OP was in for the black flag, the starter talked to the OP about the black flag situation and mentioned his pads were squealing loudly.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:30 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Really?

Read it again:

Thanks for clarifying.

Anyway, I just got around to watching that HOD track day video in the earlier post. That's exactly what I'm hearing when braking with the PFC 08's.

I guess as someone else said some squeal and it just depends.

I hear it throughout the day, not just after a first session when things may be cold.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:07 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Right. See the distinction upon re-reading while not being flat out at work.
Can see why I made that assumption when scanning quickly. Hence my surprise. We can have a whole session black flagged but also a single driver/car can be brought in individually with a black flag.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:21 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My do too, like a pig, but only in the pits.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:05 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Would it help to apply some anti-squeal brake paste on the back of the pads? Anyone done this?
Anyone?
Old 05-26-2016, 11:23 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Anyone?
Maybe, prob not. I'll test it out though. I'm currently running "naked". I removed the shims from my caliper.

I'm taking a 3-4 week break from DE so I'm planning to put my stock pads back in. When I reinstall the PFC's I'll add the shims back and spray a little CRC on the back of the pads. With the heat, I figure the stuff would just melt away anyway. FWIW, I have the aerosol CRC brake quiet, I'm not sure if its as effective as the goo type.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:42 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try without the keeper spring. That could help.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:18 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew_K
I've never had track pads squeal once they're up to temperature, including PFC08's. Sounds like you need to pull the wheels and take a closer look. Also, don't just look at the outside pads with the wheels on and assume the inner pad is the same thickness. I've seen rotors stick where the outside pad looked fine but the inner pad was worn down.
usually, this is the case.. but it is possible to stop all squealing on the street too.

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
They should not squeal bedded correctly. Did you bed them?

Bedding Brakes
^^^^this!

Nope. I thought the PFC08's didn't have to be bedded. I put them in with brand new Sebro Coasted rotors.

I drove maybe 100 miles of regular city/highway street driving. Then drove 100 miles highway and tracked them for a day.

Then drove maybe 40 miles city/highway during the week, drove 40 miles highway to a track day on Saturday and they still squealed after session 5 (25min session) braking from 110 to 50 or so.

Maybe i'm braking incorrectly? I'm braking straight, getting my braking done before turning in...
alll pads need beding, how you do this determines how the pads will sound on the street and track

Originally Posted by ProCoach
If you push the pedal harder, they'll squeal less. Seriously, the squeal is a high frequency vibration enhanced by any clearance between the piston, pad backing plate, friction surface, rotor and mounting ears. Without freshly resurfaced (or new, if specified) rotors and scrupulously clean components, it's hard to completely eliminate this.
There is a way, but it takes a little more effort.
ive been doing a method of bedding for over 15 years now and havent had a squeal since and thats pagid orange to black and PFC11, 01s and Raybestos, ST41, etc etc. however the hardest project was used rotors with EBC orange on a street high performance car with big brembos and 14" rotors. but, in the end, i was able to beat the squeal. with new rotors, not so much of a problem.
Originally Posted by linzman
I use 08s and 11s with slotted rotors. No noise
a little easier bed in process witih slotted or drilled. but ive been able to use both the -11 and 01 with no noise on flat rotors.. did that for over 10 years. street and track duty... always race pads
Originally Posted by 993GT
totally quiet on track, VERY loud on street
08 front/ 11 rear
the way to get them to stop squealing is to bed them from the beginning this way. the 5 x 100mph to 50mph slow downs just doesnt cut it. you need ride the brakes with the gas gently for about 2 miles but on and off. you will feel fade happen quickly and be obvious. thats the cue that temp is rising on the rotor. you burn off the rotor paint , and some of the surface material of the new pad..... then, you hit the hyway. 70 to 80mph down to 55mph and add gas and brake at the same time til you feel fade. rest about how long a straight is at a track near you and re apply. (about 7 -10 seconds). do this repeatably. they will get very hot. allow about 2 miles at freeway speeds to cool them off and that should do it.
this does two things.. burns out some of the binding agents , and wears the pad surface to the pad surface.... if its a used rotor, there is a longer process that mates the two together well.

(note: do the fast part on an open hyway or track where there are no cars around)

Ive done this with all sorts of pads , rotor materials, sizes and calipers and have NEVER had a squeal on the track or street.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:01 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had great 'luck' with chamfering ie rounding the leading edge of each pad with a standard file - helped a lot on the 930
Old 05-27-2016, 03:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Had great 'luck' with chamfering ie rounding the leading edge of each pad with a standard file - helped a lot on the 930
I think the pagid orange has a pretty stiff/deep chamfer already, and it didnt seem to mater. they would squeal until i did the bed in process i talk about . funny thing, they seemed to squeal more at the track at temp than on the street. but i would think that technique might certainly help a little too.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:47 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

doesn't work
you can fully bed them in correctly and the cold/street squeal comes back a short time after...nature of the pad. Chamfering does help a little bit as Craig stated, but they are LOUD on street...if it's a dedicated track car and only driven on the street to get to the track then it's probably going to be quiet...

Originally Posted by mark kibort

the way to get them to stop squealing is to bed them from the beginning this way. the 5 x 100mph to 50mph slow downs just doesnt cut it. you need ride the brakes with the gas gently for about 2 miles but on and off. you will feel fade happen quickly and be obvious. thats the cue that temp is rising on the rotor. you burn off the rotor paint , and some of the surface material of the new pad..... then, you hit the hyway. 70 to 80mph down to 55mph and add gas and brake at the same time til you feel fade. rest about how long a straight is at a track near you and re apply. (about 7 -10 seconds). do this repeatably. they will get very hot. allow about 2 miles at freeway speeds to cool them off and that should do it.
this does two things.. burns out some of the binding agents , and wears the pad surface to the pad surface.... if its a used rotor, there is a longer process that mates the two together well.

(note: do the fast part on an open hyway or track where there are no cars around)

Ive done this with all sorts of pads , rotor materials, sizes and calipers and have NEVER had a squeal on the track or street.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:55 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993GT
doesn't work
you can fully bed them in correctly and the cold/street squeal comes back a short time after...nature of the pad. Chamfering does help a little bit as Craig stated, but they are LOUD on street...if it's a dedicated track car and only driven on the street to get to the track then it's probably going to be quiet...
rob, thats not been my observation and experience. once bedded properly, i have no squeal on or off the track. (its a dedicated track car but lots of street miles on it too) its hard to explain over the list, but i believe its how you mate the two surfaces from the start. again, if you try it my way, you might be surprised. my experience has been on all sorts of flat rotors, drilled and slotted as well as all the major race pads. Pagid orange (street race R-4-4), RS14 Blacks, PFC-01, 11, raybestos, EBC orange (street /race) .
try it and you might be surprised. the squeal never comes back and infact the only squeal ive ever heard was the EBC orange on a used rotor. that was the most challenging process but i was able to bed them and they are not squealing now, ever. (98% street )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCF08 - Squealing on Track