Sponsored by:

The great Torque debate.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 09:27 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts
Default The great Torque debate.

So as a newbie I am constantly absorbing new information, and recently I have read and also been involved in discussions that brought up the topic of Torque, Horsepower, and acceleration. I am active in other forums and I am known as somewhat of a loud mouth trouble maker every where else except here . . . so I figure what the heck . . . time to make my mark here . . .

So here it goes . . .

Torque is the only thing that matters to acceleration. Now prove me wrong!

This may take a while and I may need multiple pages so give me a chance to lay out all my logic before jumping all over me, but I will say that when I am proven wrong, I am ALWAYS willing to say "I was wrong."

Anyways lets start with some simple definitions

Force = Mass x acceleration

so

acceleration = Force / Mass

Torque is a measurement of Force

now lets talk about Power

Power = Work / time and
Work = Force x distance (that ones debatable but that's a whole other forum)

Horsepower is a measure of POWER

let me say that again . . . .

Horsepower is a measure of POWER

and

POWER is WORK / time and WORK is FORCE x distance.

The crux of the issue here is that HP increases with RPM because the car is turning faster and so doing more work in less time. (The wheels are turning faster so the car is traveling more distance.)

Horsepower is measuring work you're doing over time and the faster the engine turns the more work it does.

BUT

acceleration has nothing to do with Horsepower. Acceleration is a product of the Force applied to the wheels.

Let's take a look at 3rd gear and 4th gear in a 987 at 5000 RPM.

First 3rd gear.

Torque at the Wheel = Engine torque x Gear Ratio x Differential ratio

so for a 987 (I'm guessing on the diff number but it really doesn't matter to the relativitiy of the argument)

First 245 ft*lbs = 333 Nm so

333 Nm x 1.41 (3rd gear ratio) x 4 (diff ratio) = 1878 Nm

so the Torque at the Wheel is 1878 Nm

next . . . what is that in term of force?

Force = Torque / radius

so

1878 Nm / .33m (approximate wheel radius in meters) = 5690 N

next acceleration = Force / mass (this is really the meat of what we want)

5690 N / 1360 kg = 4.18 ms/s

Taaaa Daaaa 3rd gear acceleration at 5000 RPM approximated. Now let's look at 4th gear . . . .

333 Nm (engine torque) x 1.13 (4th gear ratio) x 4 (diff ratio) = 1505 Nm
1505 Nm (torque at the wheel) / .33m (tire radius) = 4561 N
4561 N (force at the wheels) / 1360 kg (car's mass) = 3.35 ms/s

So . . . .

3rd gear accelerates the car at 4.18 ms/s and 4th gear accelerates the car at 3.35 ms/s at 5000 RPM.

In the range of 3000 RPM to 7400 RPM torque from the engine varies by 10%. The difference in gearing varies by almost 30%.

Bottom line: lesser gears ALWAYS accelerate faster EVEN at high RPM so stay in 3rd until the bitter end if you want max acceleration . . .

and

Horsepower is meaningless when discussing acceleration as it is a measure of Work over distance NOT FORCE.

Torque and gear ratios are all that matter for acceleration.

Last edited by JP66; 05-01-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:31 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

http://www.onpointdyno.com/?p=3306
Old 05-01-2016, 09:36 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 758 Likes on 383 Posts

Well, you are going to find that your first big splash here has you supporting a position with no scientific validity.

Look here:

Old 05-01-2016, 09:45 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Talk about asking for it. First off, I'd suggest you stay away from numbers as they don't do anything to make your point.

Originally Posted by JP66
Work = Force x distance (that ones debatable but that's a whole other forum)
That's not debatable, W = F x d.

F = ma -> a = F/m. Given m is fixed, for more a, you want more F. Torque is merely a turning F, so for more a you want more T for Torque.

Horsepower is work over time -> force times distance -> torque times revolutions.

While it may first appear that all that matters for a is T, it's not that clear, as the motor has to be able to produce that T at the rate is required to turn - that's where horsepower comes in. The tire turns at the rate (tire RPM) that the torque must be delivered (wheel horsepower).

Look at it another way, if the horsepower is zero, then you have zero work over time -> zero revolutions -> zero torque.

-Mike

Last edited by TXE36; 05-01-2016 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Messed up horsepower.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:48 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 758 Likes on 383 Posts

Look here too:

http://www.competition-car-engineeri...wer_Torque.htm
Old 05-01-2016, 09:51 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

Mark? Is that you?
Old 05-01-2016, 09:52 PM
noturavgm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man, good thing MK is on hiatus.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:52 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by winders
Well, you are going to find that your first big splash here has you supporting a position with no scientific validity.

Look here:

Actually I have this funny science called physics on my side and you are not making a single argument to refute what I am saying. The internet is rife with folks that talk about matters of which they have no clue. As a slight bravado I should mention that I am a graduate of Dartmouth College Magna Cume Laude with a BSEE.

What was your degree in?

Originally Posted by TXE36
Talk about asking for it. First off, I'd suggest you stay away from numbers as they don't do anything to make your point.

That's not debatable, W = F x d.

F = ma -> a = F/m. Given m is fixed, for more a, you want more F. Torque is merely a turning F, so for more a you want more T for Torque.

Horsepower is force over time, or torque over time.

While it may first appear that all that matters for a is T, it's not that clear, as the motor has to be able to produce that T at the rate is required to turn - that's where horsepower comes in. The tire turns at the rate (tire RPM) that the torque must be delivered (wheel horsepower).

Look at it another way, if the horsepower is zero, then you have zero force over time, or no torque.

-Mike
Yes and you're saying exactly what I said but not understanding the implications.

Horsepower measures WORK.

You can not use Horsepower to calculate acceleration without first backing out FORCE. Horsepower is a reflection of the Force produced. You need the force before you can calculate the Horsepower so to try and say Horsepower matters to acceleration is simply foolish and shows an utter lack of understanding of the terms.

Last edited by JP66; 05-01-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:57 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Actually I have this funny science called physics on my side and you are not making a single argument to refute what I am saying. The internet is rife with folks that talk about matters of which they have no clue. As a slight bravado I should mention that I am a graduate of Dartmouth College Magna Cume Laude with a BSEE in Electrical Engineering.

What was your degree in?Yes and you're saying exactly what I said but not understanding the implications.

You can not use Horsepower to calculate acceleration. Horsepower is a reflection of the Force produced. You need the force before you can calculate the Horsepower so to try and say Horsepower matters to acceleration is simply foolish and shows an utter lack of understanding of the terms.
Wow, Kibort X 991. That's no way to keep getting feedback on your other posts.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:01 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Old 05-01-2016, 10:02 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Actually I have this funny science called physics on my side and you are not making a single argument to refute what I am saying. The internet is rife with folks that talk about matters of which they have no clue. As a slight bravado I should mention that I am a graduate of Dartmouth College Magna Cume Laude with a BSEE in Electrical Engineering.

What was your degree in?

Yes and you're saying exactly what I said but not understanding the implications.

You can not use Horsepower to calculate acceleration without first backing out FORCE. Horsepower is a reflection of the Force produced. You need the force before you can calculate the Horsepower so to try and say Horsepower matters to acceleration is simply foolish and shows an utter lack of understanding of the terms.
I think I know your Evil Twin. I don't engage with him either.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

Horsepower sells cars.

Torque wins races.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:03 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

So here's a quick brain teaser.

What if I have a tractor that produces 2000 Horsepower? Why doesn't it accelerate at crazy speeds?

Why . . .

Because Horsepower is NOT a measure of FORCE

ACCELERATION = FORCE / MASS

Horsepower measures POWER

POWER = (F x d)/ t

get it?

Acceleration is dependent on FORCE.

Horsepower is a measure of FORCE over time and distance.

Yes, they are closely related but when calculating acceleration it is ONLY FORCE that matters.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:05 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Horsepower sells cars.

Torque wins races.

LOL thanks!

I know I'm barking up a tree here. but I guess I love a good argument!
Old 05-01-2016, 10:12 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 165 Posts

Quick Reply: The great Torque debate.