Sponsored by:

Kids Karting - Best way to get them started

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 01:36 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Kids Karting - Best way to get them started

My nephew is turning 4 this week. Looking to get him exposure to karting to give him the shot at driver development my brother and I never had growing up.

The question is what's the best means of doing this. Seems like there are 2 options. Buy used kids race karts that I know he could develop into and race from 5-7 if we got that far, or buy something cheaper that's a generic race kart that will just get him the exposure but not really qualify to race in any series.

Here are options I'm considering. Used race karts:
http://shop.topkartusa.net/collectio...d-kart-chassis

http://italianmotorsusa.myshopify.co...ducts/kid-kart

But these generic karts seem to be all over the place sold under different names for around $1k. Wondering if saving a few bucks here might just be the best bet. you can come in around $1300 with drivers suit, helmet and neck pad.

https://bintellikarts.com/product/kids-xk-racing-kart/

We have a karting track that's 30 min away from us and does $20 daily rentals as well as racing series he could participate in just to get him track time and figure things out I guess.

Anyone that's been down this path and has words of wisdom I'd greatly appreciate some feedback.

Thank you,
Andy
Old 03-07-2016, 03:08 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I suggest you rent karts for a while and determine if he really likes it. He's so young so the desire needs to come from him and no one else. If he does, you can still rent a kart for open track days and make sure you get him some individual coaching. If over time there's a growing desire to drive than you purchase a kart and take the next step.

Once you commit to buying a kart it's time to buy all the other stuff; trailer, spares safety equipment and before you know it there's a ton of cash expended. Never mind the consumables from a typical race weekend.

I used a similar approach with my son starting at age 5 and he loved it. No pressure, just went out and had fun. He's 22 now and has raced, 50's, 80's, 100's and moved to cars thru various driving programs. He's 22 now and his passion for motorsports is as great as ever. All of this was done in parallel to playing ice hockey and lacrosse right thru college. I'd like to say the balanced approach worked and he was able to experience individual and team sports. Great memories all around.....

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2016, 03:26 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,904 Likes on 1,724 Posts

I would say my experience with my daughter was the exact same as Firehawk. She always went with my wife and I to the track from the age of 3 and really liked the cars, so we got her a karting lesson at age 4 and thought that would be the last of it. She bugged me for 8 months to get a kart and finally gave in with a 2 stroke 50cc kid kart. As she moved up the ranks, she was in 80cc and 100cc karts.

Keep in mind that K1 or those other indoor karting places were not around back then. THe karting was a great way to spend family time and she developed into a great driver winning 3 local club championships all while playing club and high school soccer.

After she turned 16, she did some time trials in a 944 spec car and my GT3.She's now 19 and will be in her first PCA club race next month all while going to college where she's also a member of the SAE formula team.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:15 AM
GWF911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that is one active kid! Good for her and you
Old 03-08-2016, 07:49 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We went with the kid kart...then moved up to a KT100 cart for my daughters. It was great fun. I've got her kid kart and 1st KT100 Birel carts in the garage that we're selling since she's moved on to a new kart - PM if interested. I can get you pics and could deliver to Columbus.

Cheers,

Rick
Old 03-08-2016, 09:16 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rick
We went with the kid kart...then moved up to a KT100 cart for my daughters. It was great fun. I've got her kid kart and 1st KT100 Birel carts in the garage that we're selling since she's moved on to a new kart - PM if interested. I can get you pics and could deliver to Columbus.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick - Sent you a PM.

I've managed to stumble upon a couple older chassis with decent motors in the central ohio are that are pretty reasonable and he could eventually race if he really picked up on it. Sadly it sounds like the track closest to us isn't currently running a kids kart series due to lack of entries.

I honestly feel for the first year until he's 5 it's just the battle of getting him out there and getting some seat time. The local indoor karting places either won't let him drive until he's 5 or have the karts with hand controls not feet controls. I'm not afraid to spend a little money on something for him to learn on and then invest more in motors or what not if he decides to race in the next year or two.

I'm going to setup the iRacing rig and desk mount the pedals and wheel so that he fits and get him some sim time too.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:53 AM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

A couple resources for you

For racing, also try PittRace. They have a national level track, rental karts and lots of leagues. Not too far of a drive.

For karts, maybe try Checkeredmotorsports. They're in northeast Ohio, run a national team, provide coaching, and are the national distributor for PCR karts. They might have something used that you can see before you buy, along with some recommendations on getting started.

Lastly, for safety equipment, Track First in Hudson, Ohio has karting equipment and helmets that you can see and try on. Call them first (ask for Tim), and ask what they have in stock that they can show you. If it's not in, ask if they can get it in for you to try.

Disclosure; I have no interest in the first two, but track first is one of the sponsors on my race cars.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:54 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious - do any of you "adults".... also run karts? I've thought about it.... feel like it would make me a better driver...
Old 03-08-2016, 02:26 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by johneecatt
Just curious - do any of you "adults".... also run karts? I've thought about it.... feel like it would make me a better driver...
I have to admit I've been looking for a reason to purchase a kart for myself for additional training...think getting my nephew started is another means of me rationalizing a purchase for myself. Nothing crazy, used chassis with clone motor or something like that to use for recreation and training my nephew.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:32 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,904 Likes on 1,724 Posts

Yes. I ran 125 cc Rotax class for years and did it at the same time as cars. There is no question that the karting made me a better drover than cars. Everything happens so fast, no abs, risk of flipping if wheels touch, bump drafting, nothing like it. Need to get in karting shape (ribs, cardio etc)

Everyone knows that most pro drivers came from the karting ranks, but a lot still do it in the off season to stay sharp. During an off season practice day, we ran into Ryan Hunter Ray in SoCal driving his Rotax for hours around the track.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:00 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by CFGT3
Yes. I ran 125 cc Rotax class for years and did it at the same time as cars. There is no question that the karting made me a better drover than cars. Everything happens so fast, no abs, risk of flipping if wheels touch, bump drafting, nothing like it. Need to get in karting shape (ribs, cardio etc)

Everyone knows that most pro drivers came from the karting ranks, but a lot still do it in the off season to stay sharp. During an off season practice day, we ran into Ryan Hunter Ray in SoCal driving his Rotax for hours around the track.
Google "driveway karting" for Jordan Taylor's off season antics.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:53 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do...it's cheap and very fun seat time. I either use one of my boys' KT100 karts or a honda powered kart I bought 2 years ago. It's also a blast to do with the kids. Some tracks will let your kid out at certain times if you're with them...I did quite a bit of lead & follow with the kids...now I struggle to keep up!
Old 03-09-2016, 01:58 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Be careful where it can lead--my cousin's son, Neil Alberico, is now in Indy Lights, having started in junior series at 10.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:07 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd definitely agree with Firehawk - the desire has to come from him.

Karting can get just as ridiculous with costs as any other motorsport. I'd 100% recommend rentals.

We took my son karting at an outdoor place when he turned 5. He loved it, but they did not do rentals outside of their school. They insisted we BUY a kart. Then they closed a few short weeks later.

Found another school that DID rent kid karts for race weekends. It was 3 hours away though so it was a tough family commitment. Rental fee + hotel + gas + travel time... we didn't really stick it out. Plus he struggled to keep a positive attitude about it. He wanted/expected to win and when he didn't, he was disappointed.

We got him into BMX racing a few years ago instead. Cheaper, more accessible (track 10 minutes from the house), plus good exercise. He was all about it UNTIL he realized it took actual WORK to win. He lost interest pretty quickly once he figured that out.

Built him a simulator, and he used it for a bit at first but was more interested in using it to play demo derby than to race.

He's 11 now, and a local K1 indoor place has a junior program - we just signed him up for that, did his first league race last week. I think he did GREAT for his first event (the other kids have been doing it regularly for years). Only 3 kids in his class, but he was able to hang on to them from behind for the entire main event despite not really knowing the track. We'd taken him to practice a few times with some family friends (adults, experienced racers) and he actually held his own with them (even beating, by best time, a few of the adults!) but all of those events were on "track 1", as "track 2" was never open for open running... and "track 2" is where his race was.

He came away a little disappointed, I think he was expecting to win (or, not expecting the other kids to be so quick!) I'm NOT pushing him, HE has to be the one to want to do it, and we'll keep at it for now. So far everything we've done with him (previous karts, BMX, etc) has been because he's asked to try it. IMO some good life lessons in there. You're not "a winner" by default like they teach in school nowadays... to really be a winner it takes a lot of hard work.

In other words - don't be surprised if he doesn't immediately "take" to it.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:34 AM
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Karts

You bet. Got tired of wrenching on my son's karts and seeing him have all the fun, so I bought a 125 cc kart for myself. Driving a kart required some different skills than I was used to when I raced Porsche cars, but I still had a lot of fun. It was tough getting passed by fifteen year old kids!

George Dyer

Porsche RSR, 934.5, 935
Sebring 12hr
Daytona
etc

Quick Reply: Kids Karting - Best way to get them started