Old 02-27-2016, 07:23 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Questions on fire suppression system

Well, I am thoroughly confused at this point:
- AFFF vs Novec vs FE31 vs Halon
- mechanical vs automatic

lastly, where would you mount the nozzles ? Two over the engine, one cabin and one at the fuel cell?

What are you all's thoughts on this? I've got some experience with fire being in a truck that burned down in Iraq, and I'd rather not go through that again. I assume the gases are heavier and should be installed so that they displace the oxygen below as they are triggered. The foam systems is clear on how to install it.

thanks
Old 02-27-2016, 10:07 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I am using the ESS AFFF 5 liter system. I drive a 944 so I am not directing anything at the fuel tank as it is fairly remote. 2 nozzles to the engine and one spraying from the waist down (you really don't want your hands getting slippery). I considered halon when I was looking at different systems but went another direction when a friend fired his off while still at speed and it dissipated. Several listers use it and are very happy with it. So you are going to get several different opinions. But everyone will agree on going big if they offer more than one size.

I think you are going to get the same type of response as when you ask about everyone's favorite oil.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:15 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Take a look at page 14 and 16 of the ESS Installation instructions link below.

http://www.essfire.com/ESS_Install_Recharge_Manual.pdf

Two nozzles should be installed crossing over each other on the engine. A third should be installed at the bottom of the feet facing upward. Testing shows most fires coming thru the firewall come through the bottom near the feet.

Keep in mind, 5.0 system equals a 10 lb halon and can be a 3-zone system (engine, driver, fuel cell). The 2.3 equals a 5 lb halon and is a 2-zone system (engine and driver).

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 02-29-2016, 05:04 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

AFFF, Novec, Halon all have there +/-.

AFFF: We carry SPA AFFF systems and service them as well. Plus, their basic 4L 6 nozzle mechanical system is $395. AFFF systems require servicing every two years. SPA "Lite" AFFF (Aqueous Film Forming Foam) is a non-toxic, ozone friendly, fire suppressant that offers the competitor the same level of protection as the pros use. Will not harm the car's electrical system.

Novec: These have very compact bottles. The SPA Extreme Fire System uses a unique environmentally friendly gas from 3M called Novec 1230. Just like halon, Novec 1230 leaves no residue and has no adverse effects on delicate electronics or engine components. Unlike halon, 3M Novec has zero ozone depletion and is non-toxic, with an atmospheric lifetime of only 5-days. Combined with SPA's multi-directional nozzles, the SPA Extreme system provides impressive fire knockdown and fire-out properties - good enough to give this system an SFI 17.1 approval. The compact system is the perfect size for closed cockpit sports cars and sedans. Will not damage car electrical systems.

Halon: Halon is a gaseous compound of carbon now known to damage the ozone layer. The plus is nothing to clean up after a halon system is discharged. Halon is expensive and I am not sure how easy to get serviced.

There are good and affordable AFFF and Novec systems on the market, backed by a good network of dealers who can service them as needed.

No reason not to get an electronic system since it is battery powered, independent of the car's electrical system. You just have to make sure to check your battery. The power pack on the SPA system is a 9 volt you can buy at any Walmart.

Some info on both in the following links:

http://www.ogracing.com/spa-afff-fir...ter-mechanical

This system was used by Porsche in the 996 and 997 GT3 Cup Cars
http://www.ogracing.com/spa-afff-fir...liter-electric

http://www.ogracing.com/spa-extreme-...-machined-head

If you have any question we would he happy to assist you. You can either call us at 800.934.9112, or send us an email at info@ogracing.com

Kind regards,

Last edited by Carrera51; 02-29-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:25 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Halon does not "suck all the oxygen out of the passenger compartment".

From http://www.h3rcleanagents.com/support_faq_2.htm:

Halon is a liquefied, compressed gas that stops the spread of fire by chemically disrupting combustion.

Traditionally, to stop a fire you need to remove one side of the triangle - the ignition, the fuel or the oxygen. Halon adds a fourth dimension to fire fighting - breaking the chain reaction. It stops the fuel, the ignition and the oxygen from dancing together by chemically reacting with them.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:30 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

jwasilko:
I will correct my wording. It was always my understanding that it will inhibit breathing if you are in a confined space where it is discharged.

Kind regards,

Quick Reply: Questions on fire suppression system