Sponsored by:

Who wears racing suit for DE events

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 11:40 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
What do you guys make of the available single layer 2 piece suits available? Apparently can only be washed 4-5 times for someone doing HPDE that's probably good for 2-3 years .

I know its thin material, and rated SF1 only, but has to be better than a shirt and jeans, no?

Usually pretty affordable to, $100 or so new...
You are correct, and I think that ANYTHING Nomex is better than what 95% of normal DE driver's wear! I LOVE Traqgear stuff, at least get a shirt from Roger!
Old 03-29-2017, 02:30 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Searched ebay, and there are dozens of used Nascar SFI/5 rated suits for sale... many cheap...

So, how would it look if I showed up at a novice PCA track day in bright yellow/black suit with full sponsorship patches everywhere ?

Menards... Mello Yellow... Energy Drinks... etc

Nothing like standing in your full regalia next to the guy in gym shoes and jeans...
Old 03-29-2017, 03:19 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,272 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Whenever I read one of Roger's longer posts my only takeaway is that polyester is going to melt to my man parts and need to be surgically removed.

When I get into my car everything I am wearing is fire resistant. If I am doing less than that it means I am being stupid and you should remind me of this post!
Old 03-29-2017, 07:58 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Better than nothing but IIRC SF1 only buys you something like 3-5 seconds of burn protection, even Level 5 is only 15 seconds.
Embarassed to admit this, but for too long I figured that if I was sitting in a car getting barbequed I could likely get out of my seat and make it out in under 5 seconds.

Allowing for a degree of shock/panic/concussion mixed with poor or no visibility in a cabin fire, that's probably seldom true already, but the other thing I mentally failed to allow for is just how long it may take to slow a burning car from track speeds, and just how hot a forced-air fed fire can burn in that time.

I don't know what percentage of on-track fires start while the car is still in motion (not many in DE probably) but on that rare occasion I'd want to be wearing the best protection I had. Can't imagine any self-consciousness about wearing a suit at DEs would weigh up against my feelings if flames got to me in a car that I still had to stop first before bailing out.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:23 PM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i bought Sal a really nice suit on eBay that had been worn maybe five times by a pro driver. Ok, it's got lots of patches but patches on your suit look better than patches on your skin! Seriously, don't worry what the dork in shorts and sneakers thinks. Get something comfortable and wear it! Of course she got a Traqgear cool shirt for xmas this year. Can't be too safe...
Old 03-29-2017, 08:34 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 996tnz

Allowing for a degree of shock/panic/concussion mixed with poor or no visibility in a cabin fire, that's probably seldom true already, but the other thing I mentally failed to allow for is just how long it may take to slow a burning car from track speeds, and just how hot a forced-air fed fire can burn in that time.
Excellent points here.

Also for those of us with tight cabins and non-Halo seats, a lateral collision may induce LOC.
In which case *good luck* getting out in the sub-5 sec range.

I'll be investing in a nomex skiv/thong and long johns pronto.
Anyone who has a link to those pls share.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:48 PM
C-gt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just did the coolbox and shirt...
wow.. it was awesome, ill never drive in a car again with out a fire suit and the cool box makes it that much more fun.
when the water flowed through for the first time i thought i was drenched like something broke.
ice cold blood ruining through my veins.
i wear some traqgear though as my back up
Old 04-27-2018, 12:15 AM
GT944 Spec
Rennlist Member

I just tried out my own TraqGear underwear and they are awesome! So much so that I wrote a review on them:
https://tracksideinnovation.com/tq1

Just my two-cents' worth on the subject. I will always wear at least nomex underwear and balaclava if I'm instructing someone in a street car with all interior intact. If the car is stripped out, I'll upgrade to the race suit on top - it's just not worth the risk!
Old 04-27-2018, 09:01 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by GT944 Spec
I just tried out my own TraqGear underwear and they are awesome! So much so that I wrote a review on them:
https://tracksideinnovation.com/tq1

Just my two-cents' worth on the subject. I will always wear at least nomex underwear and balaclava if I'm instructing someone in a street car with all interior intact. If the car is stripped out, I'll upgrade to the race suit on top - it's just not worth the risk!
Nice site! Good job on the review. Very informative.

I’ll add that folks need to prepare for the worst, especially if driving a purpose built car.

Last week, I was leaning checking a camera inside a pro-built Trans Am car at a Track day while the owner was starting the car and warming It up. Unbeknownst to both of us, it was about to get very warm inside and out.

About thirty seconds after ignition, we heard it before we saw it, a huge wall of flame into the passenger compartment from numerous openings in the firewall (hmmm) area and around the trans tunnel. The car was on fire!

Turns out one of the end caps off the fuel rail had loosened/fallen off and filled the vee with fuel. It finally poured down the back of the motor over the bellhousing and ignited on the right side header collector.

The driver was in a t-shirt and shorts (after all, he was just starting the car to warm it up, right?) but still took a good amount of time to get out through the fixed window opening. I leaned back in to trip the fire system (had to pull the pin first) and then realized that the power was still on for the fuel pump even though he had turned off the ignition before exiting the car.

It was really scary. And thankfully, no one was hurt. But everyone should prepare for a) the quickest shut down and exit plan from a car on fire, b) having extinguishers ready and available and c) every moment in the car you need to be prepared.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:49 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Last year I finally started wearing my suit all the time in my GMX-5 Cup regardless of what kind of track time I was getting (DE, test days, race...). It's tight quarters in the car and getting in and out is not as quick as I'd like. I had been wearing it over cotton until I started with the Battery Tender series. They require SFI underwear, so I bought the Traqgear RacePro SuperLight shirt and longjohns. I am amazed at how comfortable and cool they are. Absolutely terrific stuff.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:57 PM
GT944 Spec
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Nice site! Good job on the review. Very informative.

I’ll add that folks need to prepare for the worst, especially if driving a purpose built car.
Thanks! I'm glad that you found the article informative! You're totally right and wow, what a story! That of course goes into all of the things we can be doing to make sure that it's easy to make everything truly turns OFF when we turn the key, flip the switch, press the button, etc. Right now my current race car has a nice kill switch, but it's not in the spot I want it to be, so I'll be moving it to be very convenient so that, if the time comes, it's a quick 1-2 punch of kill switch/fire system and I'm out of that car!
Old 04-27-2018, 04:39 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
Default wear it everywhere

Including your wedding

Originally Posted by f1rocks
Unless its cold then I wear it everywhere......
Old 04-27-2018, 05:33 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,272 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

The driver was in a t-shirt and shorts (after all, he was just starting the car to warm it up, right?) but still took a good amount of time to get out through the fixed window opening. I leaned back in to trip the fire system (had to pull the pin first) and then realized that the power was still on for the fuel pump even though he had turned off the ignition before exiting the car.

It was really scary. And thankfully, no one was hurt. But everyone should prepare for a) the quickest shut down and exit plan from a car on fire, b) having extinguishers ready and available and c) every moment in the car you need to be prepared.
+1

This is the same as saying "I'm not racing - it's only DE."

$hit happens so it is better to be prepared.

...and good thing you were there to help him with the fire and keep a level head.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
+1

...and good thing you were there to help him with the fire and keep a level head.
That might have been the only really good thing. I took a "Crash and Burn" school as part of my SCCA training a long time ago. It helped, for sure.

I moved quickly, barked a few commands, hit the extinguisher IN the car, grabbed more extinguishers from nearby trailers, told guys NOT to open the hood while I sprayed underneath, looked for continued sources of combustion (how we realized the fuel pump was still pumping when we couldn't knock down the fire), but most of all, stayed pretty calm.

It's happened to me (on track) and near me before, so it wasn't a super huge deal, except to the three or four others in this area of the paddock. Response time was slow because folks didn't know to call EMS in the other end of the paddock. Glad no one was hurt.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-27-2018, 06:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

I agree Peter and Mike here. I always suit up when riding with or driving a client.

And yes, I have been in a client's Ferrari Challenge car when it caught fire at speed in the Kink at Road America ...

Quick Reply: Who wears racing suit for DE events