Sponsored by:

Servicing Moton ClubSports?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 12:05 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Servicing Moton ClubSports?

Who are people using for shock rebuilds these days, specifically Moton? My former building is no longer working on them. Any recommendations?
Old 01-27-2016, 04:54 PM
XPC5
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maxcy Speed in the Dallas area can service them. http://www.maxcyspeedco.com/ Just had mine rebuilt there. They are former moton usa techs, and also handle JRZs, MCS etc.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:22 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

they are on opposite coast from you but performance shock inc at the sonoma raceway in nor cal rebuilds motons
Old 01-27-2016, 08:08 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Good post thanks, for another N Texas resource.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:54 AM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Anze suspension in NY does Moton rebuilds, along with other brands. Talk to Angelo, the owner or Andrew.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:49 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexaqui
Anze suspension in NY does Moton rebuilds, along with other brands. Talk to Angelo, the owner or Andrew.
This is who I used to rebuild my club sports. Excellent service and turn around, I could have gone to a local rebuilder but these guys came with better recommendations.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:27 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
they are on opposite coast from you but performance shock inc at the sonoma raceway in nor cal rebuilds motons
+1 very good service very reliable very knowledgeable. I started used PSI when I forget his name left moton and started MCS. I have been very happy with PSI
Old 01-29-2016, 12:37 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Another vote for Anze suspension. They take the time to answer questions, have fast turnaround...

Ray
Old 02-19-2016, 08:52 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you know if your rear clubsports are cup shocks or 996 shocks? I think my 03' X51 car has the shorter cup shocks as I have only 1 inch of droop and not much travel. It's like riding on the bump stops all the time and very uncomfortable. I put a 1/2" spacer under the rear shock mount just to get 155mm ride height with 680 rear tires. Not sure why they work on cups and no on street 996's....
Old 02-19-2016, 11:46 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Anze just rebuilt my Ohlins. They turned them around in a week and communicated well while they had them.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:30 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Do you know if your rear clubsports are cup shocks or 996 shocks? I think my 03' X51 car has the shorter cup shocks as I have only 1 inch of droop and not much travel. It's like riding on the bump stops all the time and very uncomfortable. I put a 1/2" spacer under the rear shock mount just to get 155mm ride height with 680 rear tires. Not sure why they work on cups and no on street 996's....
JR,...you may need different internal droop limiters since these differ between Clubsports and Motorsport shocks.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:10 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 201 Posts

I ended up with John Wagliardo at Inertia Laboratory out of the Dallas area. A new shop run by guys with lots of Moton experience. I have the old 7 click shocks for the 996, not the Cup version. The rebuild is proving to be a challenge given how old the shocks are and the fact that parts are no longer available. A quick recap from John:

Your motons have the old style hoses and QD's that are prone to leaking. The 360* swivels on your set are all leaking. This is common for that old design. The banjos and banjo stems tolerance loosens up over time and leaks pay the orings. The newer design solves this issue.
I've talked to a few of my hose suppliers to see if I could save you some money and reuse your current QD's, but no luck, as Goodridge doesn't make the male end fitting anymore. (The new design has a female fitting)We will have to replace all of the lines and QD's to make the set reliable again.

We talked about simply going with new shocks at this point but I simply don't have the time to test and find new settings at the tracks I go to when I have a book on the existing set-up. So I'll repair this set and get a couple more years out of this set-up before making bigger decisions.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:05 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
JR,...you may need different internal droop limiters since these differ between Clubsports and Motorsport shocks.
Ahh that makes sense. Am I correct in assuming that the droop limiters were for cups with air jacks as they want the wheels off the ground as low as possible? Are the cups able to handle the limited droop because of their 1500lb rear springs which don't compress as much as say my 800lb. rears (same 5"/130mm length with cup helpers)?

One last question: Did Moton build a longer bodied clubsport for regular 996's versus the 6-cups or is the difference just the droop limiters?...

As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge Steve....

JRG
Old 02-22-2016, 10:12 AM
OlsenMotorsports
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
Sent them to Angelo he is the only guy stateside that I know of that can get parts quickly from the other side of the pond

-Tim
Old 02-23-2016, 02:36 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Ahh that makes sense. Am I correct in assuming that the droop limiters were for cups with air jacks as they want the wheels off the ground as low as possible? Are the cups able to handle the limited droop because of their 1500lb rear springs which don't compress as much as say my 800lb. rears (same 5"/130mm length with cup helpers)?

One last question: Did Moton build a longer bodied clubsport for regular 996's versus the 6-cups or is the difference just the droop limiters?...

As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge Steve....

JRG
All of these shocks have internal droop limiters; the difference is lengths. Cup & RSR cars use short springs (120mm to 140mm) so you never want the shocks to "top" out, hence different length droop limiters to accommodate whatever family of springs that are in use.

Air jacks were not a direct consideration.

All of the Clubsports were the same length body respectively, for each model of car. Motorsport shocks OTOH, were available in two lengths.

Quick Reply: Servicing Moton ClubSports?