Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

NEW SPEC CAYMAN CLASS SPC ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 06:43 PM
wellcoached
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Default NEW SPEC CAYMAN CLASS SPC ?

Is anyone building one or planning to race this class next year ?
Curious to hear how much Serious interest & commitment exists...
Old 10-15-2015, 10:35 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

I was temped until I saw that it was for "S" only. The Cayman S already has a very good spot in Stock H and there is a competitive field there.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:59 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I was temped until I saw that it was for "S" only. The Cayman S already has a very good spot in Stock H and there is a competitive field there.
+1
Old 10-15-2015, 11:15 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 115 Likes on 82 Posts

What they said...
Old 10-16-2015, 07:53 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Naysayers. The class is going to rock. Same racing as SPB only faster and no arms race.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:39 AM
wellcoached
Rennlist Member

Tires are unspecified now.

I think the class would appeal more if a good grip R comp( like Hankook Z214) was specd.

Hoping it's not a low grip low quality Toyo..

If you plan to run the class let the rules committee know your tire preferences Now.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:36 AM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will someone please post a link to the new rules. I accidentally deleted the email that contained it.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:43 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dbryant61
Will someone please post a link to the new rules. I accidentally deleted the email that contained it.
I posted it in the other thread.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:29 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by wellcoached
Tires are unspecified now.

I think the class would appeal more if a good grip R comp( like Hankook Z214) was specd.

Hoping it's not a low grip low quality Toyo..
The Toyo RR is actually a fantastic tire and the best bang for the buck. They will often cord before they heat cycle out. Several of us in SPB have set track records on tires that have more than 10 heat cycles.

Having said that, the RR isn't available in SPC sizes. I suspect the class with end up with Hankooks, Kuhmo, BFG, or Hoosier, depending on size availability. Feedback/preferences will help Walt.

On the question of the class itself... I'm certainly very interested. Spec class racing is a successful formula and I bet this will catch on.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:09 PM
wellcoached
Rennlist Member

Wasn't thinking about Toyo RR.

I see what you mean. Only one 18" size now
Old 10-16-2015, 04:58 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was considering SPB, but never thrilled about the boxsters.

Previously ran PCA stock classes in early 2000s, have been in Miata land since, so would like to think I have a good basis of knowledge regarding both PCA and 'spec' classes.

The spec suspension and tire greatly decreases the arms race and makes it a purer drivers class.

The Cayman is also a newer, more refined platform than the SPB boxsters. The power to weight will slot the Cayman in a great place for regional endurance racing, whereas the SPB where not a whole lot faster than a spec Miata.

Bring it on!
Old 10-16-2015, 04:59 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
As Frank stated, this fits very closely into what Stock H allows already. If you want some modification you go to Prepared I like I have because I wanted big brakes up front and a few other modifications.

Most people racing these cars already would have to take away performance parts and dumb down their cars to fit into this new class.

I don't know who asked for this, or if anyone asked for it at all, but I think it is a distraction that may draw some cars away from the already sparsely populated H and I classes.

Perhaps we should only have three cars per category that way everyone gets a trophy!
Old 10-16-2015, 05:30 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Luigi,
As an 'H' racer at the time, I had a similar reaction to the GTB classes when initially proposed. A lot of Caymans and 996s went there that would have otherwise been running Stock H/I/J.

While I agree that the number of classes, and the dilution of them, sucks... I don't think it is a sound reason to kill a new idea/class initially.

The clubs' goal should be more participation on a gross basis, year over year. If it pulls in new customers, great.

What I don't like about the 'stock' classes is the need to 'sticker up' if you want to be at the pointy end of a highly competitive class and the costly suspension packages which require a lot of tuning. I love Porsches but I come to the track to RACE, not tinker. ... just my $0.02.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:38 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR911
Luigi,
As an 'H' racer at the time, I had a similar reaction to the GTB classes when initially proposed. A lot of Caymans and 996s went there that would have otherwise been running Stock H/I/J.

While I agree that the number of classes, and the dilution of them, sucks... I don't think it is a sound reason to kill a new idea/class initially.

The clubs' goal should be more participation on a gross basis, year over year. If it pulls in new customers, great.

What I don't like about the 'stock' classes is the need to 'sticker up' if you want to be at the pointy end of a highly competitive class and the costly suspension packages which require a lot of tuning. I love Porsches but I come to the track to RACE, not tinker. ... just my $0.02.
Its a good point but I feel like it kind of shows the issue with SPC. Many of the former H and I racers are now in the GTB classes. SPC would be pilfering even more drivers and probably kill of the alphabet classes for Caymans.

I don't think there are going to be 5-10 people who come into PCA racing and populate that class. Its going to suck more people out and I'll have no choice but to go into a GTB class and get my a$$ handed to me every race by those bunch of maniacs! (Except for Frank, he is a more gentlemanly maniac!)
Old 10-16-2015, 07:33 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I don't think there are going to be 5-10 people who come into PCA racing and populate that class. Its going to suck more people out and I'll have no choice but to go into a GTB class and get my a$$ handed to me every race by those bunch of maniacs! (Except for Frank, he is a more gentlemanly maniac!)
I agree with the first part. As to the second, well, I will continue to try to drag you over to the dark side ... There is no denying that you will end up in GTB1 one day so let's just get THAT over with. HEHEHE

Quick Reply: NEW SPEC CAYMAN CLASS SPC ?