Sponsored by:

Loving my Featherlite 17'6" Open Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 05:11 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Loving my Featherlite 17'6" Open Trailer

First load the truck bed. Load 2 boxes, in pick up bed along with jack, trailer flat fixing ramp and some misc stuff, close bed, hook up to trailer, and move to a convenient loading area. If nighttime security is perceived as necessary at your destination, put the 3 storage boxes and the jack inside the truck cab. Park in a well lighted area, so they say...but back to the process.

Before driving the car up on the trailer deck, you must remove (3 hasps) the driver's side trailer fender for unlimited access in and out of the car once car is loaded.

Unbolt the ramp retaining bolts, 1 each side.

Unfasten the ramp covers and pull out the two ramps, place them where appropriate on the deck, as tire width dictates. As needed for a low car (I need them) from the truck bed, fetch the lightweight ramp extenders and insert at the distal end of the aluminum ramps,

Drive car up on ramp and tie down, easy access because you don't have to crawl on your back..reverse the ramp removal/storage process and bolt down the ramps, secure ramp storage covers.

You are ready to go....in advance, perhaps a few days to a week earlier, I start down my check list.

You will note the absence of a trailer spare...it is on the truck bed until I get my spare tire mounted on the right rear of the trailer. The Break Away controller will be moved, as well as the bolt in place for spare tire mounting. I will then have a place for a permanent storage box, allowing me to cut down my boxes to load from 3 to 2. It's getting easier all the time.

Do I want my former 20' Hallmark back? It served it's purpose and now resides at a friends house. He wanted an enclosed trailer....I have been lusting after a Featherlite for years, and when one came my way, I had to snap it up.

Is the open trailer better? I like this approach, but there is something for everybody....
Attached Images   
Attached Files
File Type: xls
Track Check Master BW 6-27-15.xls (110.5 KB, 142 views)
Old 06-26-2015, 05:15 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 759 Likes on 383 Posts

Who are you trying to convince?
Old 06-26-2015, 05:39 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile Convince?

I just loaded my truck and trailer for a track weekend, so I wanted to share the process. The only purpose for my post is to let people who may be in the decision process, should they go to an enclosed trailer, or could they get by with an open trailer. I say "get by" because an open trailer has 0 weather protection and about the same security, clearly opposite with an enclosed trailer.

If money were out of the equation, I'd have a 24' enclosed Featherlite*** and a 3500 truck to pull this set up. But I don't want to buy another truck...I happen to love my 06 Toyota Tundra...no problems from the date of purchase to today. And I am cheap...I want to keep what I have for a while.

***If money were of no concern to me, I'd be doing "Arrive & Drive" and have a shop transport my car to and from the track. I'd store it at the shop as well.

Whom do I wish to convince? Well I have convinced me for one....the biggest benefit for me, considering that loading and unloading an open VS close trailer are very similar, is weight. The Featherlite at about 1,200 Lbs, add 2900 for the car and I have 4,100 Lbs to tow, + better vision to the rear. The Hallmark weighed 3,000 Lbs, add the car at 2900 for a total of 5,900. This equates to 30% less bulk to tow with the Featherlite VS the Haulmark. It also means better gas mileage blah, blah, all the obvious benefits of towing a lighter load.

I am the first to concede that the enclosed trailer provides better security, and has the benefits of weather protection at the track. Most of the track where I run, rental garages are available, pretty cheap too.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:41 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Who are you trying to convince?
Dude. Why do you have to be so passive aggressive in many of your posts?

He posting up that he likes the trailer and gives a step by step of how quick it is. Nice to know for someone who may be looking at open vs enclosed. Not everything needs a smarmy comment.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:07 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 759 Likes on 383 Posts

Passive aggressive? I asked a real question? Martin has gone in a couple of different directions with his logic progressions. From my perspective, he is still rationalizing the compromise he had to/decided to make.

Depending on the post, getting a Featherlite Open Trailer is a dream come true or something he had to do since he did not want to buy a new truck.

I wanted to see what he was doing this time.......
Old 06-28-2015, 08:19 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Martin has gone in a couple of different directions with his logic progressions.

Logic? Buying the Featherlite was a purely emotional decision. Quite simply I have always wanted one. The "heavens parted" and one came my way. It was priced right and owned by a friend who takes good care of his toys. I have not the space to store two trailers so the Hallmark had to go...it went to a good home.

Have the spare tire off the tongue, going on the right rear. Will put a storage box on the tongue.

And so true, I don't want to buy a new truck, and truck for that matter. The Tundra works very well for me.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:23 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This looks like a nifty setup. I'm trying to plan out my system and have a couple of questions for you:
1. What is the model# for the Featherlite?
2. Do you know how much weight the rack and tires add?
Thx.
A
Old 06-28-2015, 01:01 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLIPPERY SLOPE

As in all things track-related, there is a slippery slope, even for a simple 17'6" open trailer. Start with a plain-Jane Featherlight Model #3110 ($6,928) and add...Electric brakes & controller, spare trailer tire & rack, factory overhead tire rack, fuel rack & three jugs, removable Saris bicycle rack, paddock bike, titanium hitch lock, upgraded 10-ply trailer tires, aluminum tool box, lighted electric trailer jack, set of race ramps, tie-downs, tire stop, Rennline tie down/jack plates, etc., etc....

Old 06-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Slippery indeed...+ unforeseen benefit!

My 2003 Model 3110 came with electric brakes and I had a controller. First mod, delete the air dam and add the handcrafted tire rack...don't know the weight, bit I am certain it as light as possible.

I have added four (4) new 225/75/15 "D" Load rated tires as well as a new spare...am relocating the spare to the right rear freeing up the tongue deck for fuel rack, and of course a small utility box behind aft of the fuel jugs. I have had the electrical trailer jack in the past...may have to get another on. Race Ramps came with the trailer, so indeed, it is a slippery slope.

Unforeseen benefit: It was time to hook the trailer back up to the truck. Rather than having to go through any backing up gymnastics, I just pushed the trailer receiver right on top of the ball, just too easy. Try that with a 3,000 Lb Hallmark.

Packing for the track, I have three Rubbermaid containers that fit side by side in the back seat with the seats rolled down. This means that all I need stash in the truck bed is the jack...everything, other than the cooler, I can stuff in the cab.
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2015, 08:31 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
As in all things track-related, there is a slippery slope, even for a simple 17'6" open trailer. Start with a plain-Jane Featherlight Model #3110 ($6,928) and add...Electric brakes & controller, spare trailer tire & rack, factory overhead tire rack, fuel rack & three jugs, removable Saris bicycle rack, paddock bike, titanium hitch lock, upgraded 10-ply trailer tires, aluminum tool box, lighted electric trailer jack, set of race ramps, tie-downs, tire stop, Rennline tie down/jack plates, etc., etc....

Mike that's a great looking tire rack and obviously well built but why so tall? It appears to be taller than the cab of your Ford.....
Old 06-28-2015, 08:51 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the stock Featherlight Tire Rack ($480). I asked, "Why so tall." They said to allow visibility to the driver of the tow vehicle. I've now dragged this wonderful trailer around for more than 30,000 miles, and I appreciate the added visibility. But I've destroyed my shoulders trying to hoist wheels up onto the rack. So, this week, I'll be cutting the rack down to a more manageable size. This is a variation I recently saw at Mid-Ohio.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:17 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default I keep my tires vertical and from not ...

...sliding around using a wheel barrow tire snugged up against the outside tire with a pin inserted. Works for me...note, if you want all four (4) tires in the center, compromising straight back rear view mirror vision, and of course you'll need 2 wheel barrow wheels if you want to optimize rear view mirror vision two (2) on the left, two (2) on the right. Personally, I care more about vision on my left, so I have the tires snugged up on the right.

$480 for the factory rack? ...a couple of weeks ago Featherlite quoted me about $1,200 + freight, but a free install. Too rich for my blood, I had a friend custom make it for me...I am very pleased.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Martin S.; 06-29-2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: More possibilities
Old 06-29-2015, 06:00 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I dunno, I'm pretty happy with my 22' open Sooner aluminum trailer. Has a tire rack I've not used and a very large tongue box. Trailer box is big enough for 3 tires plus 4 5 gallon gas cans and the rest of the trailer hardware. Fourth tire goes in the back of the truck along with anything else I want to bring and everything is out of the weather and mostly out of sight. Trailer spare is in the floor of the trailer deck. Load/unload time is less than 15 minutes at a relaxed pace. It is very easy to back up and doesn't need an equalizing hitch.

The Expy tows it fine and works very well as the family suv when it isn't hauling the track toy.

Sure an enclosed would be nicer, but would also require a lot more truck.

-Mike
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2015, 06:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

That car and trailer look alarmingly familiar
Old 06-29-2015, 07:50 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

MikeJim, how did you mount the bike rack?

I went with the trailex tire rack. very adjustable. but doesn't have the storage options.

TEX36 Who makes that tongue box? or was that a custom build?

my trl

Name:  P1010481.jpg
Views: 4243
Size:  337.5 KB

Name:  P1010478-1.jpg
Views: 4225
Size:  92.0 KB

Quick Reply: Loving my Featherlite 17'6" Open Trailer