Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another new guy advice thread . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 10:06 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Theoretical best lap. First, on analysis, you have to make a track map for your session up on the left top under Map, then new, and name it to create the segments. Then you click on the split times analysis button. You will see all your laps split into segments, your best lap, your best rolling lap ( actual driven fastest lap, but not necessarily from start:finish to start/finish, might be from turn 5 to turn 5), and your theoretical best lap.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:22 PM
noturavgm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in what the real brains have to say, but a few thoughts compared to what I do:

- You can go deeper into 1 before getting to brakes. Let the car roll through the first half of the corner with more speed. No brake indicator makes it hard to tell when you are getting off them.

- I like a tighter line through the left hander (like your 2nd lap). Either way you decide, don't force the car to be 100% left-justified on exit if it is slowing you down. As long as you are over there by the time you need to turn back right, you are ok.

- Get the car pointed down no-name earlier, to straighten the wheel sooner, to get on the gas sooner

- The first time up the uphill that wheel-unwind was scary fast!

- Less brake in west bend, and on WOT sooner

- Less brake in downhill, and on WOT sooner

- I find that LRP is a good track to try a no-brakes exercise if you have some clear track. Specifically UH, WB, DH. You'll find your car can go through each faster than you think when you are focusing solely on corner speed not braking as well.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:26 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
Theoretical best lap. First, on analysis, you have to make a track map for your session up on the left top under Map, then new, and name it to create the segments. Then you click on the split times analysis button. You will see all your laps split into segments, your best lap, your best rolling lap ( actual driven fastest lap, but not necessarily from start:finish to start/finish, might be from turn 5 to turn 5), and your theoretical best lap.
Thanks!!

My theoretical best was 1:03:49. Right in line with what Jonathan did . . . now to put that "theory" into reality
Old 04-29-2016, 10:31 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by noturavgm
I'm interested in what the real brains have to say, but a few thoughts compared to what I do:

- You can go deeper into 1 before getting to brakes. Let the car roll through the first half of the corner with more speed. No brake indicator makes it hard to tell when you are getting off them.

- I like a tighter line through the left hander (like your 2nd lap). Either way you decide, don't force the car to be 100% left-justified on exit if it is slowing you down. As long as you are over there by the time you need to turn back right, you are ok.

- Get the car pointed down no-name earlier, to straighten the wheel sooner, to get on the gas sooner

- The first time up the uphill that wheel-unwind was scary fast!

- Less brake in west bend, and on WOT sooner

- Less brake in downhill, and on WOT sooner

- I find that LRP is a good track to try a no-brakes exercise if you have some clear track. Specifically UH, WB, DH. You'll find your car can go through each faster than you think when you are focusing solely on corner speed not braking as well.
That's funny. Was talking to Simon Kirkby today after the session and he advocates something similar to your "no brake" exercise. You must be a "guru" Hope to run into you at a DE sometime . . . thanks for the input! Yes, trying to complete the turn earlier on the uphill is something I was working on all day and for some reason I just couldn't make my muscles get it right so I was always a hair late and a tad scary. Actually had the "nannies" go off once saving my butt. Chalk that up to a spin that should have been and hang my head in shame.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:47 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

I would say that turn 3, despite being a "throwaway turn" is the most important turn at Lime Rock. It establishes your speed through the right hander all the way through no name, west bend, to the downhill and thus to the main straight. Do it right and you can save seconds on a lap. The key is to be all the way left by the end of the inside curbing and parallel to the edge of the track so you can get on the gas sooner, lift a tad for the right hander, and get right back on it. As you get more comfortable, you will see that you are over braking for the uphill. There is a lot of compression there that will help you get the turn done at speed (obviously, build up to this slowly). Brake a little sooner for west bend and get on the throttle sooner (but gently). The downhill is quick too, but it always takes me a whole bunch of laps to get the nerve up, as it is visually intimidating. Looking ahead to the track out point as you start the downhill helps.

Again, build up slowly. If you do it right, it will seem like it's where the car wanted to be all along. If you don't, you'll feel like your fighting the car the whole way around.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:03 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

. . . There is a lot of compression there that will help you get the turn done at speed (obviously, build up to this slowly). Brake a little sooner for west bend and get on the throttle sooner (but gently). The downhill is quick too, but it always takes me a whole bunch of laps to get the nerve up, as it is visually intimidating. Looking ahead to the track out point as you start the downhill helps.

Again, build up slowly. If you do it right, it will seem like it's where the car wanted to be all along. If you don't, you'll feel like your fighting the car the whole way around.

That's exactly what Jonathan my pro coach was saying, and I couldn't agree more about the downhill. Looking at my split times on Race Analysis I see that I do sometimes get the courage to take the turn at 80, but most times I'm way over braking there. Just seems scary, BUT I think you said it perfectly that when you get it right it feels like "thats where the car wanted to be"!
Old 04-30-2016, 09:53 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

I was looking at my heel toe downshift data and expected to see a blip in RPM then a relatively constant descent. That's not what I see. It looks to me like it takes me .8 secs from blip to clutch release and in that time the RPM drops and so the whole point of the blip is lost.

Did I read the data right? Am I screwing up my Heel-Toe downshift?
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2016, 09:50 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

So went to a CVR DE and happily my instructor got me moved up from Green to Yellow, but in the first round the fastest guy let me pass and in the second round I let him pass, and then this video followed. His fastest time is in the 1:06 range and I'm solidly 1:04. I let him pass when my tires were cold and I was holding back. What's the etiquette here?

Last edited by JP66; 05-19-2016 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:01 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

The video didn't take first try so let's try again . . .

Last edited by JP66; 05-19-2016 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Yes, and in AiM, make sure to "disable" out and in laps, as well as those outside of, say, 107% of the fastest reference lap (yellow, instead of green). Make sure you're using good information to construct the TBL.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-19-2016, 10:05 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't get the video to play but I'm guessing he never let you re-pass?
If so - you are stuck in the common situation where the red car thinks he passed you once so he will forever be faster.
Said another way - red car exhibited bad manners.
Did red car have an instructor? If so, he/she is partly at fault.
Apologies if I misread the situation.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
His fastest time is in the 1:06 range and I'm solidly 1:04. I let him pass when my tires were cold and I was holding back. What's the etiquette here?
The more you do this, the more you'll realize lap times vary for folks from the beginning to the end of the day, from cold tires to warm tires (and cold to warm brains), from the beginning to the end of the event.

So, you did well in recognizing you were not yet up to speed (and your car was not yet optimal in order for you to push). You did the right thing.

If you have a situation where someone slower passes you (I can't see the video) and may be holding you up, DISENGAGE. Roll through the pits, do whatever it takes to return YOUR FOCUS back to YOU and YOUR car, instead of outside distractions like this one.

It's potentially dangerous for you to develop what you perceive to be the proper "pecking order" based on lap times or relative pace from one session to the next, during the day or between events. Just because someone is slow at some point doesn't mean they're not going to be able to go faster, just as you may not be able to call upon your best lap whenever you want it. This is not advice specific to your case, this is what I see in general!

Like I said, this is for YOUR benefit, not for you to index off what other people are doing. If you're successful honing your own skills, it'll take care of itself.

In my Sunday race at Summit, my second two race laps were .03 seconds apart and the third consecutive lap was .11 off of that. Focus on making sure you're turning "tight groups" of lap times before saying "I do 1:04's" because until you do a statistical evaluation and review, those times are usually the exception, rather than the rule.

Just my .02. YMMV.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:15 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
So went to a CVR DE and happily my instructor got me moved up from Green to Yellow, but in the first round the fastest guy let me pass and in the second round I let him pass, and then this video followed. His fastest time is in the 1:06 range and I'm solidly 1:04. I let him pass when my tires were cold and I was holding back. What's the etiquette here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvYx...ature=youtu.be
I saw the video and the red car is being a dick. Once it was evident that he wasn't going to give you a pass, I would have taken a trip through the pits to get away from him.

edit: Peter beat me to it.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:19 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

JP to post your video do this: [yt]rvYxcfqGlkg[/y t] without the space between yt at the end. The "link" is what's after the / on the share link provided by youtube.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:26 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Improving nicely, keep working at it!!

Yes, that guy let his ego get in the way, and if yellow w instructor, the instructor should have said something too. 2 things to learn from this. 1) Don't be that guy. Be aware of your surroundings and don't let the ego get the better of you.
2) Learn to make yourself obvious in the lead car's mirrors so he knows he's holding you up (in a safe way) or if that doesn't work, pull through the pits like said already.

Quick Reply: Another new guy advice thread . . .