Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you tell I'm shuffle steering?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 09:39 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can you tell I'm shuffle steering?

From the data, I mean. Are there any clues to the fact that I'm shuffling in the trace of this lap?

Street tires, dumb driver (me) and a (for now) de-powered steering rack.

Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2015, 09:47 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

Hmm. I don't think the data shows shuffling per se. It does show that in the first half of you lap your steering inputs could be smoother, based on the sort of wobbly lateral G trace. it also shows a generally very nice and smooth brake trace.

Gawd, I sure love Mosport!
Old 06-09-2015, 10:22 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

From just looking at the video, it looked fine and smooth to me. It does look like you had to exert a lot of steering effort w/o the power steering boost.

Three side notes:
1) I've driven an E36 M3 w/o power steering and it was not fun. Way too much steering effort. I did it as an experiment to see if I could skip replacing a leaking rack. Within one lap I knew I was buying a new rack.

2) It doesn't look like Mosport has changed since the 60's. I've never been there, but "raced" it many times in Grand Prix Legends which simulates the 1967 F1 season and the track in your video looks exactly the same.

3) Given some of the debate around here about shuffle steering, I halfway expected you to slide of the track and burst into flames like some crappy 70's tv show

-Mike

Last edited by TXE36; 06-09-2015 at 10:25 AM. Reason: No almost about it - it's a dead ringer :-)
Old 06-09-2015, 04:38 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

around :53, you go to the shuffle steer which does two things. puts hands in a position that could be at a huge disadvantage if you needed to bring back the car if out of shape in that turn, AND, doesnt allow you to steer at the edge of adhesion as well. the rest of the time, its just very slight, and doesnt effect much
Old 06-09-2015, 05:44 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Dave, thanks for the comments. That's what I figured on the long-G trace, as I haven't driven this way with my other cars.

Mike, you're right; it was all I could do to turn the wheel. I was trail braking to get the car to rotate so I wouldn't have to turn the steering wheel as far! Also, yes, Mosport is as good and traditional as it looks, but they have dramatically improved the runoff areas in 1, 2, 5 and 8.

Scott, I agree - I wouldn't be doing it if I were strong enough to turn the wheel without the shuffle!

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I was wondering whether the jagged trace was a telltale of shuffling, but it sounds as though it was just me being overexhuberant.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:49 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4

Mike, you're right; it was all I could do to turn the wheel. I was trail braking to get the car to rotate so I wouldn't have to turn the steering wheel as far! t.
Not turning the wheel as far is almost always good. Keep it up once you get some power.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:02 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

It doesn't look like the track requires any strong moves on the steering and actually, you will find better leverage based on what i saw on the video, if you keep your hands planted at 10-2. (or on the steering wheel cross spoke). what you are doing is keeping you from getting to the limits and again, if you have a step out , you will be in a poor position for correcting it. using the "unpowered rack " reasoning, doesnt really give a great reason for shufflesteering.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:18 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,272 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Default Can you tell I'm shuffle steering?

I heard shuffle steering causes herpes, inflation and IMS failure.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:33 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I heard shuffle steering causes herpes, inflation and IMS failure.
its a primary cause of all sorts of preventable issues.... its a lifestyle in a way.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:40 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Looks more like you are repositioning the hands for leverage due to the no power rack, rather than a Shuffle. I think when people see the hands move off the wheel at all they immediately assume it's a shuffle. Not sure who is being pedantic but to me a shuffle is when you pass the wheel through your hands rather than simply repositioning them. Ideally you want to keep them planted but we've seen film of F1 drivers (Senna - Alonso among others) moving their hands a lot more than you are. I'd be betting once you get the rack fixed you won't be moving them. Especially on that part of that track.

Last edited by 333pg333; 06-10-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Looks more like you are repositioning the hands for leverage due to the no power rack, rather than a Shuffle. I think when people see the hands move off the wheel at all they immediately assume it's a shuffle. Not sure who is being pedantic but to me a shuffle is when you pass the wheel through your hands rather than simply repositioning them. Ideally you want to keep them planted but we seen film of F1 drivers (Senna - Alonso among others) moving their hands a lot more than you are. I'd be betting once you get the rack fixed you won't be moving them. Especially on that part of that track.
Agreed
Old 06-09-2015, 09:29 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Charlie

A different subject. I don't know what your data source is but it looks like the unit is not physically perpendicular to the axis of the car. The almost horizontal mass of dots should be "horizontal". When it is not, it means that accelerometers are not oriented properly. Also, the braking in the G-G plot should be negative G's, or maybe that BMW can pulls some big power out of the corners...... Doesn't really matter but except to data geekie guys.

I've added a different G-G plot for you to look at. As you improve your transition from braking to cornering you will see more space with few or no dots (in the blue circle areas). Something to shoot for. Nice driving, great track.
Attached Images   
Old 06-09-2015, 10:40 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,272 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Lots of good information here but all I can think of is ^^^sorta looks like vvvv.
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2015, 11:15 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
It doesn't look like the track requires any strong moves on the steering and actually, you will find better leverage based on what i saw on the video, if you keep your hands planted at 10-2. (or on the steering wheel cross spoke). what you are doing is keeping you from getting to the limits and again, if you have a step out , you will be in a poor position for correcting it. using the "unpowered rack " reasoning, doesnt really give a great reason for shufflesteering.
around :53, you go to the shuffle steer which does two things. puts hands in a position that could be at a huge disadvantage if you needed to bring back the car if out of shape in that turn, AND, doesnt allow you to steer at the edge of adhesion as well. the rest of the time, its just very slight, and doesnt effect much
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also, here is an interesting video with Kimi.. He is thrashing the car and while he has his right hand open to let the wheel spin through that hand at :34 his left hand is locked at 9:00 position, later at :50 or so he does the same thing only locking his right hand at 3:00 position.

In fact - just look at the key frame without even playing the video and you can see that he maintains at least one hand on the clock.

Last edited by dan212; 06-09-2015 at 11:27 PM. Reason: add video
Old 06-10-2015, 04:54 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Lots of interesting perspectives, guys, thank you!

Scott, for me, gripping the wheel that way in turn 5 is necessary if I do more than two laps in a row. I'm 34 and (I think) of average strength, but even with the re-grip there, it's still in the upper range of the strength I can muster. It's probably 4x as hard as anything else I've driven, and as Mike alluded to, a quick, de-powered rack in a very front-heavy BMW is torture. I won't run it this way again, though -- a new pump, lines and cooler are sitting in my shop now, waiting to be installed! I'm also going to change my seating position a little and bring the wheel back a bit, since I normally prefer to have the wheel a little closer.

I just hope I haven't programmed a bad habit. I fully agree that I'd rather have my hands in a fixed position.

Originally Posted by amso3
Charlie

A different subject. I don't know what your data source is but it looks like the unit is not physically perpendicular to the axis of the car. The almost horizontal mass of dots should be "horizontal". When it is not, it means that accelerometers are not oriented properly. Also, the braking in the G-G plot should be negative G's, or maybe that BMW can pulls some big power out of the corners...... Doesn't really matter but except to data geekie guys.

I've added a different G-G plot for you to look at. As you improve your transition from braking to cornering you will see more space with few or no dots (in the blue circle areas). Something to shoot for. Nice driving, great track.
Thanks, Jerry. This is Traqmate. I was wondering about the skewed plot, but assumed it was just that I primarily run at clockwise tracks (Mosport, WGI). This is definitely not a big power car -- Traqmate pegs my peak HP at 160 on that lap, and this was a cool morning run. I was down about 5HP later in the day when it warmed up.

Quick Reply: Can you tell I'm shuffle steering?