Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long should brake pads last - when doing DE days?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:48 AM
Kharz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long should brake pads last - when doing DE days?

Hey guys -

So fairly new owner of a 2012 991S. i bought it in the fall and did a DE event in Lime Rock in November and just came back from two **amazing** days up in Watkins Glen.

Unfortunately, I couldnt do the last run as my brakes were toasted.

How many track days (and this is also my DE) should my brake pads last for ?

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2015, 10:55 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,591 Posts

What kinds of pads are you running?
Old 04-27-2015, 11:17 AM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

If you are running stock pads, not long. Sorry I cannot give you a better answer but you really need to keep an eye on stock pads at the track because they will wear out rather quickly. I would recommend getting a set of PFC 08's or Pagid Yellows (both endurance pads) and using those while at the track. Using those pads, I would guess 8-10 DE days depending on the circuit, how aggressive you are, etc. and whether you use them on the street as well or switch back to your stock pads.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

You should also keep an eye on your rotors. They wear out too. Best to make sure before any track day that you have at least 50% left on pads. It's easy to check.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:00 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

And whether you have PSM engaged; you probably should use the driving aids as a newer DE driver, but it will wear out the brakes sooner.
Welcome to DE; Watkins Glen is really terrific.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:14 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

When I started PFC06s on a street legal E36 M3 would last about year, a dozen track weekends and driving on the street. Eventually PFC stopped making the 06s and I moved on to the replacement PFC08 (both are endurance pads). By the time I stopped tracking the car, I was down to about 6-8 months of life due to both slightly more events and harder driving. I even broke down and ran street pads on the street because the PFCs are so pricey.

One thing nice about the PFCs is they can be run down to the backing plate. At 50% wear, I just make sure I bring spare new ones with me, plus tools and a spare pair of front rotors. You may not need the rotors, but E36 front rotors will eventually just crack and spare rotors are cheap. YMMV.

I would expect pad life for stock street pads to be far shorter than a good set of track pads for DE.

-Mike
Old 04-27-2015, 01:03 PM
Kharz
Instructor

My shop is telling me they ONLY replace pads + rotors. Which seems absurd.

its under warranty until 2018, so I dont want to risk anything there.

What do you guys recommend?
Old 04-27-2015, 01:14 PM
Kharz
Instructor

And I am 100% stock in everything in my car.

man oh man, i want to back there. its beyond how insane this car is out there .... even with a crappy driver like myself
Old 04-27-2015, 01:27 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kharz
My shop is telling me they ONLY replace pads + rotors. Which seems absurd.

its under warranty until 2018, so I dont want to risk anything there.

What do you guys recommend?
Replace the rotors when the rotors wear out*, replace the pads when the pads wear out. No need to do both at the same time. I also don't turn rotors.

-Mike

*"Rotors worn out" definition depends on the car. For BMW 3 series with stock calipers and stock rotors it is well known the rotors can be run until they crack. I ran mine until the little axial cracks got deep enough to hang a fingernail or they actually cracked. Other cars may be different. Technically the limit is when the rotor reaches minimum thickness, which is usually stamped on the rotor somewhere.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:28 PM
Kharz
Instructor

Thats what I assumed. And these three dealerships are saying that they will ONLY do pads + rotors and will not, ever, do pads alone.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:05 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Thats what I assumed. And these three dealerships are saying that they will ONLY do pads + rotors and will not, ever, do pads alone.

Sounds strange to me to have that be policy, unless there is something special about 991 pads/rotors that requires that.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:14 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hint, Dealers are there to cover PCNA warranty liabilities, not give you track advice... PCNA LOVES the performance image that track driving presents for their buyers, and HATES to give out warranty claims for track driving... (Economists call that a "positive externality").

If you track your car more than 1 or 2 times a year, you must put in racing fluid, and either racing, or high performance street/track pads. It's just the way it is.

Street pads are designed to give maximum braking when cold, and track pads are designed to give maximum braking when hot... not a lot of middle ground.

No, you probably do not need rotors. Learn to change brake pads yourself... not that hard, and swap them for track.

Track's on your dime.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:20 PM
Kharz
Instructor

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Hint, Dealers are there to cover PCNA warranty liabilities, not give you track advice... PCNA LOVES the performance image that track driving presents for their buyers, and HATES to give out warranty claims for track driving... (Economists call that a "positive externality").

If you track your car more than 1 or 2 times a year, you must put in racing fluid, and either racing, or high performance street/track pads. It's just the way it is.

Street pads are designed to give maximum braking when cold, and track pads are designed to give maximum braking when hot... not a lot of middle ground.

No, you probably do not need rotors. Learn to change brake pads yourself... not that hard, and swap them for track.

Track's on your dime.
If you do the pads yourself; do you break the warranty? I know most folks at the track are switching out pads a lot ... but if that breaks my warranty which is going to last until 2018 ... I need to figure out if its worth it economically to save money on brakes and then potentially get hammered with a warranty issue
Old 04-27-2015, 02:26 PM
TXE36
Drifting

If you do the pads yourself; do you break the warranty? I know most folks at the track are switching out pads a lot ... but if that breaks my warranty which is going to last until 2018 ... I need to figure out if its worth it economically to save money on brakes and then potentially get hammered with a warranty issue
Swapping pads will not violate your warranty. That said, I wouldn't tell the dealer.

Do you have some sort of super fancy brakes on that car?

-Mike
Old 04-27-2015, 02:34 PM
Kharz
Instructor

Originally Posted by TXE36
Swapping pads will not violate your warranty. That said, I wouldn't tell the dealer.

Do you have some sort of super fancy brakes on that car?

-Mike
100% stock on everything.

My 996 died of engine failure (not IMS); so I am very nervous about ANYTHING that would void the warranty.

Quick Reply: How long should brake pads last - when doing DE days?