Alonso has made the biggest mistake in F1

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 01:23 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
You mean the Honda F1 car that performed so badly for so many years that they, Honda, decided to pull out of F1. Yep, he helped develop that, so he must be better.
Look at Alonso's development at the prancing Donkey. It should have been sponsored by the Apprentice because when you are hired you are fired. He helped further Honda's motor. Button is consistent in his laps and is easy on the equipment

Remind me again how many WDCs do you have? Racing a Miata is exactly like developing an F1 car.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:51 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
Remind me again how many WDCs do you have? Racing a Miata is exactly like developing an F1 car.
BAAWAAHHH HA HA You crack me up!!
I have twice as many WDC as you.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:58 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CCA
BAAWAAHHH HA HA You crack me up!!
I have twice as many WDC as you.
2x0 is 0 so that is true.

How long have you been following F1 10 years? Between the hairdressing?

Remember he did help develop Ross Brawn's design further when he won the WDC. Again, his driving is very consistent, something very important is development of a new car.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:06 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry slow to respond, was having my nails done.

I do agree that Jenson's a good consistent driver. He's usually able to manage his tires very well. He's not so good with the electronics though.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:56 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CCA
Sorry slow to respond, was having my nails done.

I do agree that Jenson's a good consistent driver. He's usually able to manage his tires very well. He's not so good with the electronics though.
I hope you were watching the race when you got your mani-pedi

The thing that does not surprise me is how Alonso and Button are working well together. The electronic gremlins are everywhere. We shall see in Spain.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:20 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone was watching the Sky feed, you would have seen Alonso happy and joking with his team members after the race. I still think that Honda has a lot left in the tank, and they are making very good progress for what has been a startup motor effort. Time will tell.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:28 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
If anyone was watching the Sky feed, you would have seen Alonso happy and joking with his team members after the race. I still think that Honda has a lot left in the tank, and they are making very good progress for what has been a startup motor effort. Time will tell.
I agree Larry. They are picking up more time race to race than anyone else. If they can continue at this pace they may have some decent finishes by the end of the season.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:48 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
Button is consistent in his laps and is easy on the equipment
I really like Jenson, but I keep getting this feeling that his talents are wasted in F1. He is slower in outright pace than most of the other drivers, but he is really in-tune with the equipment and reads the conditions and strategy better than any other driver. He's also got excellent race pace relative to his maximum pace. These are all the attributes that would make him a master endurance racer and hopefully once he's had enough F1 he jumps on board with Porsche to take a run at Le Mans.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:53 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
I really like Jenson, but I keep getting this feeling that his talents are wasted in F1. He is slower in outright pace than most of the other drivers, but he is really in-tune with the equipment and reads the conditions and strategy better than any other driver. He's also got excellent race pace relative to his maximum pace. These are all the attributes that would make him a master endurance racer and hopefully once he's had enough F1 he jumps on board with Porsche to take a run at Le Mans.
Very good analysis. I feel pretty much the same way.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:01 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've actually been suspecting that he would end up running a team in the fairly near future, whether in F1 or WEC. He's a high profile driver and very good with the media, so I think they could be well sponsored. Taking a WEC drive would be a step back from the kind of spotlight that I think he could get if he wanted it.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:58 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,512 Likes on 2,092 Posts

completely agree. Jenson would be masterful at Le Mans
Old 04-27-2015, 05:12 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

and JV's scathing view on the topic.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/55667...ded-his-career
Old 04-27-2015, 05:13 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

To make it easier the actual text:

Jacques Villeneuve reckons Fernando Alonso's decision to swap Ferrari for McLaren was "clearly a mistake" and could mean he never wins another race.

Last season the double World Champion, thrice a runner-up in the Drivers' standings with Ferrari, opted to leave the Scuderia and take on a challenge with McLaren.

The Woking team's first season under Honda power has been a trying one to date as neither Alonso nor Jenson Button have scored a single point.

Added to that reliability has been hard to come by while on the other hand Ferrari already have one race win and three additional podium finishes.

"It was clearly a mistake," Villeneuve said of Alonso's move in an interview with Spanish sports daily AS.

"He could have had three or four more years with the Italian team and then retired or have gone to McLaren if he wanted to win with them as he did in 2007."

He went on to say that "with this move he may have ended his career. He may never again win titles and even races."

The former World Champion also warned Alonso that progress with Honda would be "very slow".

He added: "Honda and McLaren are not in a position to win this year. They may go two years without winning."
Old 04-27-2015, 06:32 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,512 Likes on 2,092 Posts

I think he's going to win another race, but not another title. Alonso has no one to blame but himself. No one pushed him out of Ferrari, in fact they were crying that he decided to leave...
Old 04-30-2015, 12:39 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
To make it easier the actual text:

Jacques Villeneuve reckons Fernando Alonso's decision to swap Ferrari for McLaren was "clearly a mistake" and could mean he never wins another race.

Last season the double World Champion, thrice a runner-up in the Drivers' standings with Ferrari, opted to leave the Scuderia and take on a challenge with McLaren.

The Woking team's first season under Honda power has been a trying one to date as neither Alonso nor Jenson Button have scored a single point.

Added to that reliability has been hard to come by while on the other hand Ferrari already have one race win and three additional podium finishes.

"It was clearly a mistake," Villeneuve said of Alonso's move in an interview with Spanish sports daily AS.

"He could have had three or four more years with the Italian team and then retired or have gone to McLaren if he wanted to win with them as he did in 2007."

He went on to say that "with this move he may have ended his career. He may never again win titles and even races."

The former World Champion also warned Alonso that progress with Honda would be "very slow".

He added: "Honda and McLaren are not in a position to win this year. They may go two years without winning."
I think it's a real stretch to believe he has no shot at winning another race. McLaren is a major F1 power and Honda has a strong reputation. Together I think they'll figure it our eventually and get back to running a competitive car.

Will that happen this season? Probably not, but who knows for sure. They are making bigger gains than anyone else each race so far.

Quick Reply: Alonso has made the biggest mistake in F1