Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Simulator Set Up - Hardware and Software

Old 06-30-2016, 05:46 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by laranja
I've tried the Dev Kit 2 and the prod release Oculus.
But every time I try VR / Oculus - I get close to nausea.
I'll stop or take a break, and haven't had an actual problem
yet, but I can feel it coming on a lot more than in a traditional rig.
The other problem I have is that your head gets pretty warm over 30 mins.

I think whatever the rate of people suffering from motion sickness
with 3 monitor setups is, it'll be double when they try VR.

I wonder if others that have tried VR agree? And if maybe the GPU power
and resolution needs to go a lot higher to mitigate it?
Some people are more susceptible. Some people have reported getting their "sea legs", so to say, after a bit of use. Some people can't get over it. You might be one of the unfortunate ones that just can't get over it. I do think you're likely in a minority tho.

No one that has personally tried MY setup has had nausea. I can say that the only time *I* have ever experienced nausea due to the Rift, was when frame rates were too low. Guaranteed... I turn green pretty quickly once things get choppy in the Rift.

Otherwise, never an issue. And I have issues with carsickness (can't read while in a car, etc) and seasickness. Can't read on a plane either. (Makes 4hr trips to LAX a bitch!)

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Ive got two AMD cards running in Crossfire, does that pose any issues with the Oculus? They work fine in iRacing..
Shouldn't have an issue though I'm fairly certain iRacing generally does NOT take advantage of SLI/Crossfire.

Future updates to the Oculus software are going to include special SLI/CF support, such that they will split the rendering duties by eyeball... one card for the left eye, one card for the right.

It will require an update to the actual game being used, too (iRacing) so this kind of support is likely further down the road.

Originally Posted by pmason
Last month I ordered the Rift, they have a small app that can test your computer to see if you have the level of hardware you are going to need. I need to upgrade my video card, looking at the setup it just connects though a single HDMI cable, Jim can confirm as he has it already.
Yeah the Rift needs two USB 3.0 ports, and an HDMI port.

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I was just checking as Crossfire and/or SLI can cause issues in some instances, usually a software problem. It shouldn't as it isn't new technology but sometimes it does..
Won't cause problems but likely (at least in iRacing) won't give any benefits, either.

Originally Posted by Texas RS
It seems there are a lot of component options discussed in this thread. Is there a "go to" company to get a proven high-end system?
My recommendation would be Main Performance PC. I've referred a few local Chicago peeps to him, he's a long time iRacer, has a great rep and has knowledge on building iRacing-specific machines. https://www.mainperformancepc.com/
Old 06-30-2016, 05:51 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Texas RS
It seems there are a lot of component options discussed in this thread. Is there a "go to" company to get a proven high-end system?
And if you want to go with some really super duper NICE hardware (professional grade steering wheels, etc.) then you can give these guys a call: https://crimsonsimulation.com/

Met him personally a few weeks ago when I was in NYC on business and stopped at his shop. In addition to having a lot of the stuff on demo, he will build and ship you a setup. Tell him Jim from Chicago sent you
Old 06-30-2016, 06:09 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Good friend has a full motion seat in his rig. Everyone who tries out his setup wants to try the motion seat, and nearly everyone gets annoyed with it and turns it off fairly quickly. I personally don't see the value in it.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:54 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mglobe
Good friend has a full motion seat in his rig. Everyone who tries out his setup wants to try the motion seat, and nearly everyone gets annoyed with it and turns it off fairly quickly. I personally don't see the value in it.
Yeah I'm the same way. Each and every time I've tried a motion rig I haven't liked it. Winds up being more of a distraction than anything... and there's always a delay. It takes the electronics time to process that you hit a bump in the sim, send the signal to the actuators, and the actuators to process the signal and convert it to motion.

Friend of mine has a $40k+ racing rig, with motion. I brought my Rift over to try the two together (should be AWESOME, right?)... I couldn't last 15 minutes before wanting to hurl. Once you're wrapped in VR the delay in the motion becomes REALLY apparent. Your eyes tell you that you hit a bump... the view moves "bump!"... THEN you feel the bump.

I am very much NOT a proponent of motion sims. Fun for amusement park rides, to throw the rider around... but not fast enough response time to serve as a legit training feature.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:51 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm going to disagree on the motion comments here.

I was totally fine with a stationary rig until my local Porsche dealer held a contest to send a winner to Barber. CXC brought one of their 'seat mover' rigs over. I set the 6th fastest time in the opening round of the competition on Laguna (only to get smoked in the finals running Barber). This was the first time I've ever felt nervous anxiety (in a good way) while sim racing. I felt much more connected to what the car was doing and that my actions had actual consequences. Definitely tricks the brain. Going back to my static rig at home felt like everything was lacking. I knew then I had to have motion.

The common problem most people have when commenting negatively on motion is that they tried it at a car show, a festival, or some event. These rigs are usually set up with over exaggerated motion for wow factor - and they are usually horrible. With my SimXperience setup, I can custom tune each component of the motion via SimCommander software to my liking. You need very little motion to get the proper effect.

I can certainly see how current VR mixed with a motion setup that is not dialed in properly could result in a bad experience. In general, the lag is not in the motion (the actuators are updated 250 times per second), most lag comes with displays (VR or standard). In fact, with better gear (motion rig, direct drive wheels, etc) you can catch slides earlier and thus easier as you can feel what is happening, rather than just seeing it.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:53 PM
Animus
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After research. I liked this site: http://www.mockracer.com/2014/12/how...groom.html?m=1

I will probably use an oculus over screens though

I tried the oculus on Iracing but the focus was off as the owner wore glasses and I have 20/15. I definitely had some motion issues but chalked it up to his setup due to needing glasses.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:54 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by switchface
I'm going to disagree on the motion comments here.

I was totally fine with a stationary rig until my local Porsche dealer held a contest to send a winner to Barber. CXC brought one of their 'seat mover' rigs over. I set the 6th fastest time in the opening round of the competition on Laguna (only to get smoked in the finals running Barber). This was the first time I've ever felt nervous anxiety (in a good way) while sim racing. I felt much more connected to what the car was doing and that my actions had actual consequences. Definitely tricks the brain. Going back to my static rig at home felt like everything was lacking. I knew then I had to have motion.

The common problem most people have when commenting negatively on motion is that they tried it at a car show, a festival, or some event. These rigs are usually set up with over exaggerated motion for wow factor - and they are usually horrible. With my SimXperience setup, I can custom tune each component of the motion via SimCommander software to my liking. You need very little motion to get the proper effect.

I can certainly see how current VR mixed with a motion setup that is not dialed in properly could result in a bad experience. In general, the lag is not in the motion (the actuators are updated 250 times per second), most lag comes with displays (VR or standard). In fact, with better gear (motion rig, direct drive wheels, etc) you can catch slides earlier and thus easier as you can feel what is happening, rather than just seeing it.
True that there are places where they're set up to "overkill" mode. I was anti-motion after trying a CXC, a Blue Tiger, and even a Force Dynamics unit a few times in a row over the years at the Chicago Auto Show.

I was told the same thing: those units are cranked up for "effect" at shows.

Then I tried my buddy's simXperience "stage 5" rig... and was not impressed, still had delays. He's a BIG proponent for motion platforms, has won a few national championships. I still argue it's not worth it, I could still tell there was a lag.

Same with the motion seats at Crimson.

To each their own I guess.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:09 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you all for the advice earlier. I will think about the triple platform. I do love having a 110" screen though! I just wish there was a way to get more of the outside of the car field of view in with a projector setup. I find it hard to look through the corners the way I would in a real car.

What software/game do you guys use for little kids? My daughter comes down and pretend plays all the time. iRacing is no fun for her since she just crashes (she's pretty young).
Old 07-07-2016, 12:55 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
What software/game do you guys use for little kids? My daughter comes down and pretend plays all the time. iRacing is no fun for her since she just crashes (she's pretty young).
Project Cars allows you to setup a CPU teammate to take over from you when you enter the pits (handy if you want to do endurance races in the game). You can do an out lap, enter the pits, select the CPU teammate, and then let the computer take over while the little ones have fun pretending that they are driving.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:41 PM
lordpantsington
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
What software/game do you guys use for little kids? My daughter comes down and pretend plays all the time.
Look into Miniville mod for rFactor/ rFactor2.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:52 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Momo Mod 88 Sam Maxwell Wheel for sale

http://www.sammaxwellcustoms.com/

Wheel is $900 plus new, selling for $550

Pm for details or email acarbonejr@yahoo.com
Attached Images     
Old 08-25-2016, 12:23 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Can I pay someone in Atlanta to purchase and setup all this stuff for me? Too many options.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:26 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

There's a good article on simulation hardware and software in the 8/23/16 issue of "Speed Secrets".
Old 08-25-2016, 01:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

So what's the deal with VR "goggles", is the clarity as good as a high end monitor? Refresh? Ghosting? How about the motion sickness aspect? Even with a monitor I used to get violently ill with some of the earlier 1st person games when moving around inside of structures, actually took pills to keep my stomach settled and knew when to quit. Hasn't happened in years but I have no desire to invite it back!
Old 08-25-2016, 01:22 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Jim is the best guy to talk to about that because he has tried both versions of the oculus rift. I've run the DK2 and it's a toss up between that and triple monitors for me. With triples, I like the ergonomics and ability to have a drink and not have my wife scare the life out of me if she needs to get my attention while I'm "plugged in". The DK2 is incredibly involving, just a bit low resolution. If I want to blow someones mind, I'll set them up for a lap around the Nurburgring in VR. I don't ever get motion sick, so I'm no help to you there. For me it's 120hz triples > DK2 > single monitor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Simulator Set Up - Hardware and Software