Helmet Dryer

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 12:28 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts
Default Helmet Dryer

At the track I notice that many people use a Shock Doctor helmet dryer but I don't see it listed on their website any longer and can't fund one for sale. Any thread on RL that I found seems to talk about the Shock Doctor.

It appears Simpson has a helmet dryer which looks identical to the Shock Doctor model - http://www.saferacer.com/simpson-rac...FRRo7AodGGkAMA

Anyone have it and is it any good?

What is the best helmet dryer out there right now which does the germ and odor killing job with ozone as well as drying it out. Just bought a new Stilo and want to keep it fresh!
Old 02-10-2015, 12:43 PM
JoshuaB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a few and they work great. Simpson is now making them and ApexPerformance just started to carry them:

http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-2753.htm
Old 02-10-2015, 01:01 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

my two cents guy, i bought a nice air forced heat/no heat driver online, i have to find the name it was CHEAP like 50bucks, i bought two. i use them mainly for my cycling(road biking) shoes and glvoes which always get wet.
and i use fro the helmet. guys who have ATVs and hunting use the. pretty nice. a smidge bigger than the shock doctor but they are like 50 bucks vs like 250 i think the shock doctors were. and i have 2 shock doctors still i use.

maxxdry boot/glove dyer. they were like 40each i found my invoice.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:49 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

The ryobi fan works pretty well too. You can set the helmet on it:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-...3320/205022215
Old 02-10-2015, 02:19 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

forgot to post a link https://maxxdry.com/category/Drying
they have some addon accessories for helmet. you dont need any for gloves or shoes, and you can do a package they offer. you can find them cheaper online in places, but i usually just put my helmet across the two big pipes and gloves on the two small. 1 hour and done. there is a dial spring loaded timer so you can set it 1 to 3 hour and a heat/no heat switch. pretty nice.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:47 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

we just use Stanley fans, about $60 each, put out a lot of air and fit into the helmet well enough:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-P...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

plus you can use them for other stuff
Old 02-10-2015, 03:56 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
forgot to post a link https://maxxdry.com/category/Drying
they have some addon accessories for helmet. you dont need any for gloves or shoes, and you can do a package they offer. you can find them cheaper online in places, but i usually just put my helmet across the two big pipes and gloves on the two small. 1 hour and done. there is a dial spring loaded timer so you can set it 1 to 3 hour and a heat/no heat switch. pretty nice.
I like both the price point and the ability to drive gloves for this unit. However, it doesn't generate any ozone and it looks like ozone is really effective at killing bacteria and keeping a helmet from smelling funky.

There was a thread here recently where a guy put his helmet away wet and there was funk growing in it. I want to avoid that.

Any thought on this?
Old 02-10-2015, 03:59 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I like both the price point and the ability to drive gloves for this unit. However, it doesn't generate any ozone and it looks like ozone is really effective at killing bacteria and keeping a helmet from smelling funky.

There was a thread here recently where a guy put his helmet away wet and there was funk growing in it. I want to avoid that.

Any thought on this?
i dry my cycling crap like 4x week with it. works graet. i dont know about that ozone deal. id imagine spraying something in there does about the same. but ive never worried toomuch. then again my HJC has replaceable inner pads for $35.00 and every other year, i swap them out. i think the key is gettin git dry quickly before fungus and mold starts. but helmets will always have a bit of a smell. makes you go faster!<G>
Old 02-10-2015, 05:36 PM
marcus1249
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the Simpson and it seems to work very well I hadn't seen them for a while but Stable energies now has them in stock again, might be overkill but it works very well for me and with a $1,000 helmet its a good insurance policy just my opinion

http://www.stableenergies.com/Simpso...nfo/SIM-DRYER/
Old 02-11-2015, 12:53 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a Shock Doc dryer. Absolutely love it.
Sadly, I was told the Shock Doc dryer was taken off the market for legal reasons a few years ago. Took a while for inventory to dry out.

The Simpson Dryer looks to be exactly the same. Same product released under a new name?
Old 02-11-2015, 12:55 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
The Simpson Dryer looks to be exactly the same. Same product released under a new name?
Supposed to be and looks the part.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:51 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

More like shock doctor realized how much money they can make on mouth gaurds and bags etc vs the dryers etc.
helmet bag that shock doctor had is great...plugs right into the dryer and has vents etc.

Ozone is good for smell but can affect some plastics etc making them brittle...but it is nice with the heat or no heat, simple timer set up. suprised no one picked it up sooner.

Balaclava also helps prevent some of the sweat and stank from getting in there....at least for me it does
Old 02-11-2015, 09:37 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
More like shock doctor realized how much money they can make on mouth gaurds and bags etc vs the dryers etc.
helmet bag that shock doctor had is great...plugs right into the dryer and has vents etc.

Ozone is good for smell but can affect some plastics etc making them brittle...but it is nice with the heat or no heat, simple timer set up. suprised no one picked it up sooner.

Balaclava also helps prevent some of the sweat and stank from getting in there....at least for me it does
I'm assuming ozone can be turned on and off? Electronics don't like excessive ozone either. I typically ozone my helmet twice a year keeps it fresh.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeh th shock doctor has timer that turns the fan on.....then you have two switches for ozone and or heat
Old 12-17-2019, 05:04 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

So what’s the latest and greatest in terms of helmet dryers?

Quick Reply: Helmet Dryer