Sponsored by:

race seat driver fitment

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 11:12 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Default race seat driver fitment

Currently I am in the new cobra sebring outlast racing seat. Super comfortable, but it is too big for me.

Too wide and I move around too much.

I am trying to find information out there about how a race seat should fit from a safety perspective.

For example, I like the sabelt gt160 but the halo seems to sit a little high in relation to my head, but I don't know how it should really fit.

Yes I searched here but couldn't find anything

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Old 02-05-2015, 11:29 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

The seat should fit snugly. For for safety, comfort and ability to focus on car control you should be firmly planted in the seat.
Belts tightened and tightened again (watch your nuts - you don't want to be that guy from a thread a few days ago with his nuts out of the sack.
Seated up against the back with your *** all the way back. Side walls should be up against your legs - but not squeezing them. Halo should be at a height that stops lateral movement of the head (so not at neck height or above head height).

Think about it this way - if you get slammed in the car you want the belts, seat, helmet and HANS to absorb and dissipate the force of impact. You do not want to get hit in the side and then have your lower body launched into the side of the seat. That's gonna hurt.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:31 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure if you have one close by, but find a good race shop that carries multiple brands of seats and sizes. Go try them on until you find one that fits just right...not too loose, not too tight.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:04 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Be sure to check the shoulder belt hole height as well. I'm not a tall guy, but long torsoed. A popular seat, the Recaro Poll Position fits my body well, but the shoulder hardness holes were completely below my shoulders.

Ergo, i wound up with Ergos for that and other reasons.

Since the harnesses interact intimately with the seats, being familiar with their installation could be helpful. Schroth documentation is excellent, as are their harnesses.

-Mike
Old 02-06-2015, 01:30 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks guys I get all that. Been thru a few seats and after these 6 hour enduros, I just need a seat like you guys say that fits snug.

I did find good info on the shoulder belts and the hole location. They defiantly need to be above the shoulders and not below.

The halo location is the big variable.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:58 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

another option is building a bead seat inside the shell to replace the pads around the butt and hips.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:35 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Back in the day some RLers liked custom made aluminum seats.

IIRC this supplier has a good repuation:

http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/catal...ainment-Seats/

Installation of the aluminum seat may be different from an FIA seat on sliders.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:41 AM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the seat you have & make it perfect with an insert. The bead kits are great, but you can accomplish the same thing with two part expanding foam. I get it at Tap Plastics. Be careful not to use too much of this stuff or let it get out of the bag & on your seat. I like the clear-blue plastic bags from Home Depot.
Being tight in the seat is critical & will improve your car control, stamina, & possibly speed.

Quick Reply: race seat driver fitment