Sponsored by:

Nissan Super Bowl Commercial

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 08:47 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nissan Super Bowl Commercial

We're the race cars going the wrong direction through COTA turn 1?
Old 02-01-2015, 08:58 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,542 Likes on 2,106 Posts

Sure looked like it. Awesome commercial anyway
Old 02-01-2015, 08:59 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VR must be ****ting bricks. Love the Ferris Wheel in the crash zone at Turn 20. And the 369 lap race.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:09 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Considering Nissan has been going backwards its only fitting.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:59 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,904 Likes on 981 Posts

Cloudspin: What's the deal with your Whiteface avatar?
Old 02-01-2015, 10:18 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Went to high school in Peru, NY and learned to ski at Whiteface in the late 60's, early 70s when they first cut Cloudspin , Skyward and put in what was then called Chair 6. Coldest chairlift ride on earth. There was no snowmaking above mid-station in those days and if you got caught skiing the slides (which we did in the spring) they pulled your season pass. I moved to Florida in 75. We go up every summer and stay on Lake Champlain but haven't been back up in winter to ski. I picked Cloudspin as a screen name and later found out there is video game with that name so I looked for a trail sign photo to use but could only find the upper mountain trail map so I used that. Do you ski there and / or go to Lake Placid?
Old 02-02-2015, 08:53 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
Went to high school in Peru, NY and learned to ski at Whiteface in the late 60's, early 70s when they first cut Cloudspin , Skyward and put in what was then called Chair 6. Coldest chairlift ride on earth. There was no snowmaking above mid-station in those days and if you got caught skiing the slides (which we did in the spring) they pulled your season pass. I moved to Florida in 75. We go up every summer and stay on Lake Champlain but haven't been back up in winter to ski. I picked Cloudspin as a screen name and later found out there is video game with that name so I looked for a trail sign photo to use but could only find the upper mountain trail map so I used that. Do you ski there and / or go to Lake Placid?
Spent a few of my formative years hiking/climbing in the high peaks and skiing WF. Still get up there a couple times a year.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:47 AM
Joe T
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get that commercial at all. So we have an absentee father who is so focused on his career in racing not around while his son grows up all to the tune of "Cat's in the Cradle?" Then shows up when the kid in in High School in a Nissan after ostensibly winning Le Mans (or COTA), gives him a hug and all is well?? WTF?! I took so much s#@t from my wife about that commercial having just walked in the door from Sebring. Even she "got it" that this guy is racing in Le Mans and the family is not even there - watching on TV. Just horrible.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:56 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joe T
I don't get that commercial at all. So we have an absentee father who is so focused on his career in racing not around while his son grows up all to the tune of "Cat's in the Cradle?" Then shows up when the kid in in High School in a Nissan after ostensibly winning Le Mans (or COTA), gives him a hug and all is well?? WTF?! I took so much s#@t from my wife about that commercial having just walked in the door from Sebring. Even she "got it" that this guy is racing in Le Mans and the family is not even there - watching on TV. Just horrible.
Agreed. Did not sit well.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:00 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

I think the idea was to make you feel sad whenever you think of Nissan... I already did so I got it right away.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

+1
Old 02-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

+2
Also Nissan pays its drivers so poorly that he can't afford to have his family at the race and can only afford a ****ty Maxima? Horrible commercial!
Old 02-02-2015, 12:57 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 765 Likes on 380 Posts

^^Interesting perspectives...my wife and I were at a bar watching the game, I caught the tail end of it coming from the bathroom. She said she thought it was the best commercial of the night and I missed it....hey...at least it incorporated racing!

As a kid growing up, my father was on the road working all the time so we could live..and we didn't really have much. I always had a different perspective of that song - To me, the 'I'm gonna be like him...." line is more about actually watching your dad working his *** off to do what he does best...be it sales, manual labor ...or racing... and wanting to grow up just like him. It was about looking up to him and following in his footsteps, which I did for a while. Besides, it did show that he spent all his time at home with the son.

Lets be honest...many of you travel a lot for our jobs, then go to the track on weekends, or play golf with your buddies...or both. And you squeeze family life in as much as you can, but is it always enough???
What about any pro athlete? Baseball - 81 away games a year, 41 in basketball, football players are on the road or at the practice facilities every day for months, Nascar? 36 weeks plus all the other commitments. And the dedication needed to get to that level? Get to 'LeMans'...

Unfortunately...That's reality....that's life....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 02-02-2015, 01:04 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 765 Likes on 380 Posts

Also...

Published on Feb 1, 2015
#withdad follows the struggles of a hardworking and close-knit family striving for togetherness across the years.

As part of our #withdad campaign, Nissan will donate up to $1,000,000 to two organizations that, like Nissan, help people build better lives for themselves and their families - Habitat for Humanity® and Wounded Warrior Project®. We are proud to be their partner.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:34 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,478 Likes on 1,960 Posts

I got the SAME $HIT when I got home. I made the mistake of saying I felt like I only left this morning. My wife said it felt like I had been away for a month.

In regards to the commercial I worked full time and went to school at night (college and law school) for eight years and was never home. These are the things we do for our families. That being said, it was also the reason why we waited that length of time to have a child. Not only did I want to be around but I also wanted to make sure I had some financial stability for my family.

Quick Reply: Nissan Super Bowl Commercial