Sponsored by:

Nissan Super Bowl Commercial

Old 02-02-2015, 04:12 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,855 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
^^Interesting perspectives...my wife and I were at a bar watching the game, I caught the tail end of it coming from the bathroom. She said she thought it was the best commercial of the night and I missed it....hey...at least it incorporated racing!

As a kid growing up, my father was on the road working all the time so we could live..and we didn't really have much. I always had a different perspective of that song - To me, the 'I'm gonna be like him...." line is more about actually watching your dad working his *** off to do what he does best...be it sales, manual labor ...or racing... and wanting to grow up just like him. It was about looking up to him and following in his footsteps, which I did for a while. Besides, it did show that he spent all his time at home with the son.

Lets be honest...many of you travel a lot for our jobs, then go to the track on weekends, or play golf with your buddies...or both. And you squeeze family life in as much as you can, but is it always enough???
What about any pro athlete? Baseball - 81 away games a year, 41 in basketball, football players are on the road or at the practice facilities every day for months, Nascar? 36 weeks plus all the other commitments. And the dedication needed to get to that level? Get to 'LeMans'...

Unfortunately...That's reality....that's life....
^^^ This.. I didn't interpret the commercial from a literal standpoint of a dad that is a pro driver, but rather put the dad in the commercial as my father when I was growing up and worked his *** off and wasn't there at times. As a kid, you don't understand what it takes to support a family... you just know he isn't there. Fast forward to my own working life and how I wasn't there for some of my kids birthdays etc because I was on the road working...
Old 02-03-2015, 10:00 AM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a bizarre twist to the commercial.

The song in the Nissan commercial, "Cat's in the Cradle," was performed by Harry Chapin...who died in a fiery car crash on the Long Island Expressway in the summer of 1981. He was driving a Volkswagen Rabbit that caught fire when it was rear-ended by a grocery truck.

From Wikipedia:

On Thursday, July 16, 1981, just after noon, Chapin was driving in the left lane on the Long Island Expressway at about 65 mph on the way to perform at a free concert scheduled for later that evening at Eisenhower Park in East Meadow, New York. Near exit 40 in Jericho he put on his emergency flashers, presumably because of either a mechanical or medical problem (possibly a heart attack). He then slowed to about 15 miles (24 km) per hour and veered into the center lane, nearly colliding with another car. He swerved left, then to the right again, ending up directly in the path of a tractor-trailer truck. The truck could not brake in time and rammed the rear of Chapin's blue 1975 Volkswagen Rabbit, rupturing the fuel tank as it climbed up and over the back of the car, causing it to burst into flames.

The driver of the truck and a passerby were able to get Chapin out of the burning car through a window after cutting the seat belts before the car was engulfed in flames. Chapin was taken by police helicopter to a hospital, where ten doctors tried for 30 minutes to revive him. A spokesman for the Nassau County Medical Center said Chapin had suffered a heart attack and died of cardiac arrest, but there was no way of knowing whether it occurred before or after the accident. In an interview years after his death, Chapin's daughter said "My dad didn't really sleep, and he ate badly and had a totally insane schedule."

Even though Chapin was driving without a license – his driver's license having previously been revoked for a long string of traffic violations – his widow Sandy won a $12 million decision in a negligence lawsuit against Supermarkets General, the owners of the truck, based on what Chapin would have earned over the next 20 years. An earlier phase of the trial had found Chapin 40 percent negligent in the accident and Supermarkets General 60 percent negligent, so the award of $12 million for the financial loss to the family was automatically reduced to $7.2 million.

So, essentially, Chapin was the hard-working distant dad in the Nissan commercial, who short-changed his family in pursuit of a career that eventually supported them in his death. Even more bizarre is the car crash in the Nissan commercial that (I'm quite sure) producers never considered when they put song to video.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:03 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,195 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
Here's a bizarre twist to the commercial.

The song in the Nissan commercial, "Cat's in the Cradle," was performed by Harry Chapin...who died in a fiery car crash on the Long Island Expressway in the summer of 1981. He was driving a Volkswagen Rabbit that caught fire when it was rear-ended by a grocery truck.

From Wikipedia:

On Thursday, July 16, 1981, just after noon, Chapin was driving in the left lane on the Long Island Expressway at about 65 mph on the way to perform at a free concert scheduled for later that evening at Eisenhower Park in East Meadow, New York. Near exit 40 in Jericho he put on his emergency flashers, presumably because of either a mechanical or medical problem (possibly a heart attack). He then slowed to about 15 miles (24 km) per hour and veered into the center lane, nearly colliding with another car. He swerved left, then to the right again, ending up directly in the path of a tractor-trailer truck. The truck could not brake in time and rammed the rear of Chapin's blue 1975 Volkswagen Rabbit, rupturing the fuel tank as it climbed up and over the back of the car, causing it to burst into flames.

The driver of the truck and a passerby were able to get Chapin out of the burning car through a window after cutting the seat belts before the car was engulfed in flames. Chapin was taken by police helicopter to a hospital, where ten doctors tried for 30 minutes to revive him. A spokesman for the Nassau County Medical Center said Chapin had suffered a heart attack and died of cardiac arrest, but there was no way of knowing whether it occurred before or after the accident. In an interview years after his death, Chapin's daughter said "My dad didn't really sleep, and he ate badly and had a totally insane schedule."

Even though Chapin was driving without a license – his driver's license having previously been revoked for a long string of traffic violations – his widow Sandy won a $12 million decision in a negligence lawsuit against Supermarkets General, the owners of the truck, based on what Chapin would have earned over the next 20 years. An earlier phase of the trial had found Chapin 40 percent negligent in the accident and Supermarkets General 60 percent negligent, so the award of $12 million for the financial loss to the family was automatically reduced to $7.2 million.

So, essentially, Chapin was the hard-working distant dad in the Nissan commercial, who short-changed his family in pursuit of a career that eventually supported them in his death. Even more bizarre is the car crash in the Nissan commercial that (I'm quite sure) producers never considered when they put song to video.
That is bizarre.

Having grown up on LI I can tell you that the LIE, when moving, is filled with some of the most aggressive drivers around. The LIE is frequently made safe by its bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:05 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

There are a lot of literal takes posted on this commercial both here but especially on FB.

My take is one similar to others. My father travelled a lot while I was growing up. I've always travelled a good bit (2-3 nights/week) and will continue to support my family. So to me this commercial struck a chord. Moreover I thought it was cool being that it was racing. I took the commercial as a guy working to support his family. The maxima was simply a product placement.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 743 Posts

Meh. To me the commercial was underwhelming except for all the scenes at COTA.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:10 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought it was pretty stupid. bad father, bad car, bad idea.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:22 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkadi
+2
Also Nissan pays its drivers so poorly that he can't afford to have his family at the race and can only afford a ****ty Maxima? Horrible commercial!
+3
The hot wife would have left and been married again already by the time the kid was in high school.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:16 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 163 Posts

I missed almost the whole game. Caught the end sitting on a plane in Orlando. My wife and I passed each other in the air Sunday night. Me home to PA and her to a conference in Ft Lauderdale. Since we have two young kids and a dog at home, it's a good thing I made it. Lots of people weren't so lucky. Orlando wasn't the "happiest place on earth" Sunday night.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:29 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,195 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
I missed almost the whole game. Caught the end sitting on a plane in Orlando. My wife and I passed each other in the air Sunday night. Me home to PA and her to a conference in Ft Lauderdale. Since we have two young kids and a dog at home, it's a good thing I made it. Lots of people weren't so lucky. Orlando wasn't the "happiest place on earth" Sunday night.
We were all on the Sunday night last flight from Disney. Also known as the unhappiest flight on earth.

My plane was filled with kids who were coming down off a sugar high. Thank God for headphones!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nissan Super Bowl Commercial