Replacement interior trailer lighting - LED

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 10:08 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Replacement interior trailer lighting - LED

My enclosed trailer has 2 4' fluorescent light fixtures (110v) hanging over the race car. The run down the middle of the trailer and are a cheap fixture. I have always worried about the bulbs crashing down (roads are bumpy here in the northeast). I have cable ties around them to keep that from happening.
I am inclined to remove these fixtures and replace them with LED lighting.
Has anyone done this, and if so, which product did you use? I want to make sure the fixtures will hold up to trailer usage.
Also, I want to use the existing location (down the middle of the ceiling) and the existing 110v wiring.
Thanks
Old 10-08-2014, 10:15 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 220 Posts

I have a dome light at the front and back of the trailer on toggle switches. Very exotic. I guess I would ask myself how much work I am actually doing in the trailer before going nuts on lighting. Then again, sometimes the Y-chromo just dictates ****.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:40 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Coochas
I have a dome light at the front and back of the trailer on toggle switches. Very exotic. I guess I would ask myself how much work I am actually doing in the trailer before going nuts on lighting. Then again, sometimes the Y-chromo just dictates ****.
You know me way too well.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
My enclosed trailer has 2 4' fluorescent light fixtures (110v) hanging over the race car. The run down the middle of the trailer and are a cheap fixture. I have always worried about the bulbs crashing down (roads are bumpy here in the northeast). I have cable ties around them to keep that from happening.
Has anyone done this, and if so, which product did you use? I want to make sure the fixtures will hold up to trailer usage.
Also, I want to use the existing location (down the middle of the ceiling) and the existing 110v wiring.
Thanks
I replaced most of my 4' fluorescent shop lighting w/ LED retro fit strips, they use the oe fitting but w/ the ballast removed. Light is fabulous, from either 5k or 6k color temp, you can get from ~ 1700 to ~2300 lumen 120° bulbs

led replacement bulbs
Old 10-08-2014, 12:51 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I replaced most of my 4' fluorescent shop lighting w/ LED retro fit strips, they use the oe fitting but w/ the ballast removed. Light is fabulous, from either 5k or 6k color temp, you can get from ~ 1700 to ~2300 lumen 120° bulbs

led replacement bulbs
Hey Bill
You are always a great resource; thanks.
I'd like to get rid of tubes, as part of my goal is to replace the fixture with something that won't fall off.
Of course, in 10 years of trailering, the bulbs haven't fallen off yet. But they sure look like they could.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:32 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 361 Posts

Hey Bill
You are always a great resource; thanks.
I'd like to get rid of tubes, as part of my goal is to replace the fixture with something that won't fall off.
Of course, in 10 years of trailering, the bulbs haven't fallen off yet. But they sure look like they could.
I think that w/ the zip ties you have good insurance

Alternatively move then to the sides, you'd probably want to have a set for each side
Old 10-08-2014, 08:13 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks
I used these LED lights from Home Depot (link below). They are very light weight but I still added a safety cable (modified a picture hanging setup) just in case. I mounted two of them in my trailer, front and rear (20ft enclosed Featherlite) and the amount of light is fine. You could probably use two or three depending how much light you want. These are the white LED light, very similar to a normal white fluorescent shop light.

They are flush mount lights so you can anchor them to the ceiling quite well. The cover is a very lightweight plastic lens and they wire up as a normal light would with a 110v system. I've had no problems with them while traveling.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-...vZc7nkZ1z115g2
Old 10-08-2014, 09:05 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That Home Depot link looks like the right idea; thanks.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:08 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Rick:
Is this another "safety" issue, (*achem,*, cough cough,)...........just asking so my wife knows why I might be inquiring about a possible change.........lol
Old 10-08-2014, 10:37 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have several strips of led lights lighting my trailer. runs off my winch battery, and controlled by a dimmer. bought everything off of ebay. lights up the trailer really nice!
Old 10-08-2014, 10:53 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,587 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by Country911
Rick:
Is this another "safety" issue, (*achem,*, cough cough,)...........just asking so my wife knows why I might be inquiring about a possible change.........lol
Funny, I spend a lot of money for "safety" items. At least that is what I tell my wife.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:46 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

+1 on zip ties around light lens.

I have hauled my gooseneck trailer back and forth across the US and never had an issue.

Works great.

I love the LED idea, but do not know of a 4 foot light available
Old 10-09-2014, 02:24 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought 30' strips and cut them down to the trailer width.
Amazon.com: LE Lampux 12V Flexible LED Strip Lights, LED Tape, Daylight White, 300 Units 3528 LEDs, Non-waterproof, Light Strips, Length 5M: Home Improvement Amazon.com: LE Lampux 12V Flexible LED Strip Lights, LED Tape, Daylight White, 300 Units 3528 LEDs, Non-waterproof, Light Strips, Length 5M: Home Improvement
Old 10-09-2014, 08:10 AM
rwgrif
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used LED light strips and ran them completely around interior. The light output is very good and no shadows. I have a battery in the trailer for the winch and tongue jack that powers them easily. It was a pretty simple DIY project and I can post more details if there is any interest.
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2014, 10:43 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Country911
Rick:
Zip ties = safety
New lights = because I can

Quick Reply: Replacement interior trailer lighting - LED