Sponsored by:

Replacement interior trailer lighting - LED

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 10:44 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I can see that I'm not the only one obsessed with making the trailer perfect.
Thanks for the good ideas.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:05 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the same thing as dizzyj, ran one down each side, bought the AC adaptor so I could just plug them in when the trailer is in the shop.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rwgrif
I used LED light strips and ran them completely around interior. The light output is very good and no shadows. I have a battery in the trailer for the winch and tongue jack that powers them easily. It was a pretty simple DIY project and I can post more details if there is any interest.
Very nice. Details please.

Also my trailer is pretty ghetto with money going into the car (- but it does have 2 a/c units - the trailer that is). It has bare wood on the inside- whats the best "cheap 'n cheerful" way to cover the walls and ceiling? Paint? Paneling?

Last edited by Ritter v4.0; 10-09-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:02 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4.6

Also my trailer is pretty ghetto with money going into the car (- but it does have 2 a/c units - the trailer that is). It has bare wood on the inside- whats the best "cheap 'n cheerful" way to cover the walls and ceiling? Paint? Paneling?
For the $$, I'd be inclined to prime it and roll on a quality semi-gloss enamel.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:31 PM
rwgrif
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4.6

I will get some better pictures this weekend and post them with a materials list.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:03 PM
rwgrif
Rennlist Member

As promised, here are more pics and info. The LED's are from Amazon and are the double density versions:
SUPERNIGHT (TM) 16.4ft 5M SMD 5050 Cool White Waterproof Led Flexible Flash Cold white Strip 300 Leds LED Light Strip 60Leds/M Multifunctional - Car Electronics Installation Services - Amazon.com SUPERNIGHT (TM) 16.4ft 5M SMD 5050 Cool White Waterproof Led Flexible Flash Cold white Strip 300 Leds LED Light Strip 60Leds/M Multifunctional - Car Electronics Installation Services - Amazon.com

Just measure your trailer circumferentially and order the length you need. They are easily cut to shorter lengths. They make junction blocks and wires but I found those unreliable and just soldered the connections for the LED's. There is a "peel and stick" on the back of the LED but that is unreliable as well. Just use a little cement glue as you go and they will stick and stay stuck.

Wiring is 'tinker toys'. I have a deep cycle battery that powers the winch and a charger. It is hooked up to a power block and I placed a switch in the side of the cabinet (along with a USB charger and a power point).

The lights are bright and a side benefit is no shadows when I'm prepping things on the car inside the trailer. I though about adding another strip but haven't found the need for more light. They run fairly cool and since they run off the battery, will work any time and not just while plugged in to 110V. The original interior lights still work as well but I did wire them to the battery instead of the tow vehicle plug.
Attached Images      
Old 03-15-2015, 09:03 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,481 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I replaced most of my 4' fluorescent shop lighting w/ LED retro fit strips, they use the oe fitting but w/ the ballast removed. Light is fabulous, from either 5k or 6k color temp, you can get from ~ 1700 to ~2300 lumen 120° bulbs

led replacement bulbs
I went this route as well after reading this thread. My trailer had dim fluorescent lights that only seemed to enhance the gloom of the trailer.

I had a small problem with my replacement bulbs as it appears that manufacturers make them differently and the installation process varies. I removed the ballast, wired the hot to one end and the ground to the other end. It didn't work. I then realized that I needed non-shunted holder sockets (a/k/a tombstones). I tried them and again nothing!

Becoming frustrated I decided to look at the instructions that came with my bulbs. (Always a last resort!) I found that the pins for hot and ground were both on the same end and the pins on the other end of the tube were merely to hold it in place. Once I rewired it so that one of the tombstone got the hot lead and the other got the ground they worked perfectly.

I know its hard to tell from the picture but the light inside my trailer is so much brighter. I went with pure white and it looks real good.

This is what I bought from Amazon:

JACKYLED Pack of 12 UL Listed Non-Shunted T8 Lamp Holder Socket Tombstone with 10 inches Wires Attached for LED Fluorescent Tube Replacements Turn-Type Lampholder, Medium Bi-Pin Socket, For Programmed Start Ballasts, Standard Profile + Free Gift - - Amazon.com JACKYLED Pack of 12 UL Listed Non-Shunted T8 Lamp Holder Socket Tombstone with 10 inches Wires Attached for LED Fluorescent Tube Replacements Turn-Type Lampholder, Medium Bi-Pin Socket, For Programmed Start Ballasts, Standard Profile + Free Gift - - Amazon.com

Amazon.com: Ledwholesalers 20 Watt 4 foot T8 T12 LED Tube Lights with 2835 SMD LED, 45W Fluorescent Tube Replacement, UL Approved, White, 1923WH: Office Products Amazon.com: Ledwholesalers 20 Watt 4 foot T8 T12 LED Tube Lights with 2835 SMD LED, 45W Fluorescent Tube Replacement, UL Approved, White, 1923WH: Office Products

It cost me about $110 to change out four light bulbs. If I had read the instructions I could have had the job completed in under 30 minutes. Thanks for the idea Bill!
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Replacement interior trailer lighting - LED