Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kennedy Engineering Clutches: Any Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 10:09 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kennedy Engineering Clutches: Any Experience?

I am having the clutch changed in my SC and the mechanic suggested I consider Kennedy Engineering. These look like they specifically designed for high HP cars running 915 Transmissions. My car does not fit that description.

Any reasons I should or should not consider these as a replacement for Sachs?

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:53 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the Kennedy 6 puck disc with the Sachs PP in my cup without issues. the disk is very cheap $130 IIRC. It's a very good replacement for the Sachs disc.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:40 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I am using their Stage 2 with 6 puck. They are hard to beat. IMHO they are a better alternative to the Sachs.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:03 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 759 Likes on 383 Posts

I am switching to a JWE clutch setup from a Kennedy. Give them a call.....
Old 09-30-2014, 04:22 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Mike B told me I would never wear it out. Same HP as you. They are clamping sob's
Old 09-30-2014, 06:50 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

Why would you need a racing clutch in a stock SC? It will make it harder to get on/off trailers, etc. A stock clutch should work longer than your trans will between rebuilds and a bit easier on your car.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:09 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
I am switching to a JWE clutch setup from a Kennedy. Give them a call.....
Talked to Jerry today. He sells a kit with PP, TB and 4 puck - 221mm disk. Sounds a bit much for my low HP car. Nice setup though.

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Mike B told me I would never wear it out. Same HP as you. They are clamping sob's
Any 1st gear starting difficulties? How about loading on the trailer. Will they stand up to a little slip?

Originally Posted by analogmike
Why would you need a racing clutch in a stock SC? It will make it harder to get on/off trailers, etc. A stock clutch should work longer than your trans will between rebuilds and a bit easier on your car.
This is why I am asking. Mechanic speaks highly of these units. I don't know if there is any advantage or disadvantage in my case. I don't want to worry about damage from a little slipping while putting car on the trailer. They are made in the USA and price reflects local manufacturing. Less expensive than Sachs.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:17 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I have/had the same clutch in my 930 that is on its way back to the way it was born. They suck for street driving. It is quite the on and off sort of thing and takes some getting used to. Also seems to tolerate a wee bit of feathering for loading purposes if your careful but for the most part it just take some getting used to. Never any drive train problems from it.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:15 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a kennedy in my 88 911 race car with G50. It was definitley a stiff pedal and chattered on take off compared to stock but was great once I got used to it. New owner says it's still working flawlessly.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

6 years on my KEP clutch. A bit stiff, but handles a 3.6 with ease. I use a Sachs turbo disc. No problem feathering it to load the car
Old 10-09-2014, 01:12 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Same as Dennis,i've got KEP lightweight flywheel,pressure plate and clutch in my 89 with a 3.6 transplant,sure wish my 944 with a Lindsey lightweight flywheel and clutch was a smooth as the 911 ...

Cheers
Phil
Old 10-09-2014, 03:04 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

i have a stage one for my 951 5 puck. AWESOME
Old 10-10-2014, 08:50 PM
944hal
Pro

Hey Randy,
I don't drive the same kind of car you do, as you know, but I've used a KEP PP mated with a Sachs disk for years in my 951. Pedal is a little stiff and I used to get some chatter on release in 1st gear. But, it's a track car not a street car. Once going it's fine. Also, you should not need a heavy duty PP in a lower HP car. Your not drag racing. Once you are moving you shouldn't have any slippage.
Hal
Old 10-11-2014, 09:30 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I went with a KEP PP and Sachs disk. Should be a good combo. If I don't like it, I will change it. I did not want to use a full race disc because of loading on and off the trailer and I can't imagine there being any advantage with my low HP car.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, guys. They helped me make a better informed decision.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:45 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 759 Likes on 383 Posts

Below are some photos of the JWE 212mm clutch/pressure plate setup that I mentioned earlier and to which I am switching.

The complete setup weighs ~1.5 lbs less than the Kennedy 225mm lightweight Aluminum pressure plate and clutch setup I had been using. The 212mm 4 puck clutch weighs about 60% less than the 225mm 6 puck clutch I use with the Kennedy setup so pretty much all of the weight savings is in the clutch disc itself.

The entire unit is modular and user serviceable. There is no need to send the unit off to JWE to be rebuilt. The pressure plate friction surface piece is solid steel. The Kennedy unit has a billet aluminum friction plate with a coating of steel on the friction surface. I was having a lot of problems with the steel coated surface wearing through to the aluminum underneath. My active first gear setup didn't help.

The JWE clutch/pressure plate setup has been race tested over several seasons in multiple Spec 911 race cars and a 400+ HP GT2 car here in Northern California.

At $1350 retail (including throwout bearing), the JWE clutch/pressure plate setup is not inexpensive. But, with the overall light weight, low spinning mass of the clutch, all steel pressure plate, and user serviceability, it was an easy decision to purchase this setup for my race car.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Kennedy Engineering Clutches: Any Experience?