Sponsored by:

LRP Historics today - bad wreck

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 10:31 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts
Default LRP Historics today - bad wreck

Anyone know what happened to the guy? Was a pre-war group, looked like a 30's MG hit the wall exiting the downhill about 2:30 PM. Closed the track, State Police out there, I gave up and left about 4:00.... Can't imaging they were there because the guy was ok...
Old 08-30-2014, 11:09 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Heard he passed away

Sad day
Old 08-30-2014, 11:11 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

RIP Lee Duran - so sad
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2014, 11:18 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 143 Posts

RIP very sad
Old 08-30-2014, 11:39 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 759 Likes on 383 Posts

Is this car legal to race with the driver's head higher the roll hoop?

I am sorry, but these cars look just too dangerous to race....
Old 08-31-2014, 12:00 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

It was only a matter of time when something awful like this would happen. I was there yesterday and was just commenting how crazy one would have to be to be driving (much less racing) some of the death traps we were seeing. There were many, many cars where a driver was sitting head and shoulders above the highest point of the car with barely any restraints.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:05 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by winders

Is this car legal to race with the driver's head higher the roll hoop?

I am sorry, but these cars look just too dangerous to race....
You wouldn't believe the lack of safety on these old cars, and they are 100x safer than they were when originally raced. I walked the paddock today and my general comment was "death trap". Add the age of some of these "drivers" and it's not a good recipe. The race before the accident was great, the Austin Healy driver was out there to win (and did, not sure who hit the red Ferrari that was holding him up), but you have to wonder if the old cars should be held to an exhibition at this point.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:25 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

I'd say that should be left up to the drivers. Lots of things in life are unsafe.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:12 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 759 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
I'd say that should be left up to the drivers. Lots of things in life are unsafe.
Well, I disagree. There should be a certain level of safety required when racing. These cars should meet stricter safety requirements than they currently do.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:18 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I was there Friday helping my friend Bobby Brown race his Brabham. When i was looking at some of these very old cars i was really shocked they would actually race them. Besides the safety aspect, the big wheels, bench seats, etc... Didnt seem like a good mix at LR. Its sad a person lost there life, god bless his family.

Last edited by ajcjr; 08-31-2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Dam ipad keyboard lol
Old 08-31-2014, 07:21 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

No it should be left up to the racing organizers to realize as nice and cool as these cars are they do need some upgrades. Some of the cars looked like they had no seat belts
Old 08-31-2014, 07:48 AM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 302 Likes on 148 Posts

So sad. I can't begin to imagine the pain his loved ones are experiencing right now. I wish them all a little more solace with each passing day ...

I know these kinds of accidents are a possibility in motorsports, but I think we (generalizing) compartmentalize that risk and genuinely believe it won't happen to us. We partake in events like this expecting sunny skies, a perfect day with friends and great cars. And then we read these kinds of news stories as spectators (we hope). But it's only after a tragedy that we really start to think of that possibility with any proximity, even though that self-awareness is so often fleeting.

It can happen to any of us, so be careful out there. And do everything you can to limit that possibility. Godspeed!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:17 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Of course, it should be left to each private venue and organization to set the rules. Participation is not mandatory, after all.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:57 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,275 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Really sad day - hate to hear that anyone dies at the track.

I agree that some of these cars are death traps, but for just about all of us who go to the track, we do it because we love it. There are no paychecks or purses.

If my wife had her way I would never go to the track. "What if you die?" I sometimes do feel selfish but I tell her that if the worst happens I went out doing something I really loved. It doesn't mean I love my family less. You can either sit at home on the couch or you can enjoy life.

As hard as it is for me to say this - they should be able to race.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:22 PM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Luigi and Sbelles. these cars are historic and modifying many of them to satisfy modern safety rules would totally destroy them and their heritage (and value probably). It's up to each participant to decide if he wants to drive his vintage car in a race; he doesn't have to after all! yes it's a risk, but racing my Lotus Super Seven with the other vintage cars is such a thrill; so much different than racing my modern cars.

when I was down at VIR some years ago, the featured marque was Bugatti; there must have been 20 of the prewar Bugs out there racing, along with a grand prix Alfa that was incredibly fast. all the cars were basically as raced back in the day (I seriously remember that they didn't even have roll hoops on them?). I don't know how fast they were going on the straight, but I think the Alfa and the top Bugs were prob doing over 120 mph. and slowing down for the turns with cable operated drum brakes (and lurid slides to bleed off speed). dangerous? yes I'm sure. exciting and amazing to see these antiques battling it out just as they did 80 yrs ago? YES. I was so thankful for the experience. modifying them to modern safety standards would be a crime.

Todd
ReidSpeed

Quick Reply: LRP Historics today - bad wreck