Sponsored by:

LRP Historics today - bad wreck

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 07:07 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
I'm certain that if this poor guy knew that car was going to kill him then he wouldn't have been driving it.
This is what I don't understand. The guy had supposedly raced for 30 years. He was sitting head and shoulders above the highest point of his car. What outcome did he expect in case his car rolled over? Or was he counting on the odds of a flip being acceptably small?

He either hugely miscalculated the risks, or he knew them very well and considered them acceptable compared to the pleasure he derived from taking them. Could have been a little bit of both.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:10 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

I gotta say, I don't buy into any of this "he died doing what he loved" stuff. I'm certain that if this poor guy knew that car was going to kill him then he wouldn't have been driving it. And that goes for many others before him. We need to look at our cars and circuits from the perspective that it might be our undoing, and make decisions from that standpoint. I've never regretted sitting out a dangerous undertaking, even though it might have been what I love doing.
Live to race another day is the way I approach it.
I'm not sure I agree with this Frank. Every day at the track is a good time for me. While I certainly don't want to die at the track, it would be by definition be "while doing something he loved."
I also recognize that every time I go to the track that I could be seriously hurt or killed and I take maximum precautions to minimize this. But **** happens.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:56 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Life is a death sentence. We all make calculated risks.

I believe we should all be informed about risks, but also be allowed to make informed decisions about how we choose to live our lives.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:06 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Life is a death sentence. We all make calculated risks.

I believe we should all be informed about risks, but also be allowed to make informed decisions about how we choose to live our lives.
Of course. I don't think anyone here has been advocating that some higher power orders people how to live/die, supposedly for their own good.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Captain Slow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO, I think Mr. Duran fully understood the perils of driving the car, but his love of driving it must have outweighed his calculation of the risk involved.

To me, this seems no different than tracking/racing a motorcycle. There are fatalities at least every few years at each track, and everyone seems to accept this inevitability and continue on.

Personally, I would never get near either of the aforementioned death traps - but everyone should be allowed to make their own personal risk/reward conclusions
Old 09-02-2014, 10:51 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think we get too complacent or too comfortable and start to overlook the real picture.
To me, well, I don't even want to say what I think of that car and what's so great about driving it anyway?
By today's standards, so many of these vintage ****boxes have no lure for me whatsoever, especially considering the risk, and I LOVE the history of this sport. But hey, that's just me.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:52 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I'm not sure I agree with this Frank. Every day at the track is a good time for me. While I certainly don't want to die at the track, it would be by definition be "while doing something he loved."
I also recognize that every time I go to the track that I could be seriously hurt or killed and I take maximum precautions to minimize this. But **** happens.
Yeah, well you're driving cool *** cars, Cooch. I don't see you going all gaga over a 1934 MG. Sorry to say.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

I saw the car (and many others) before the race, its a death wish scenario.. If you are old and have no reason to live? Go for it...
Old 09-02-2014, 11:18 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 915 Likes on 448 Posts

Life is a death sentence.
Wow....another something we all know yet you choose to be Captain Obvious.

We all make calculated risks.

Racing, Vintage or not, is a sanctioned event. As Formula 1 made so obvious in the past, there will always be racers willing to race no matter how dangerous the cars/events are. So it is up to the sanctioning bodies to think about safety for the drivers and the fans.

There needs to be a minimum safety standard for these pre-war cars. If that standard requires more modifications than the owner is willing to make, then retire the car to exhibition events where no real speed is involved.

The safety standards in place now are a joke.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:55 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Yeah, well you're driving cool *** cars, Cooch. I don't see you going all gaga over a 1934 MG. Sorry to say.
True dat Frank but we've seen a number of weekend warriors perish in modern cars as well. Sad reality.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:20 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I'm letting you know. Please take it down...
Sorry Peter, i was a little busy running around soccer tourneys and didnt see this post, otherwise it would have been down sooner.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:38 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,333 Likes on 1,892 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
Sorry Peter, i was a little busy running around soccer tourneys and didnt see this post, otherwise it would have been down sooner.
Thank you, sorry for appearing to be too sensitive, but I have been to over a dozen events in the last quarter-century that experienced fatalities... It hits close to home.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-03-2014, 10:56 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Thank you, sorry for appearing to be too sensitive, but I have been to over a dozen events in the last quarter-century that experienced fatalities... It hits close to home.
Peter, your reaction is completely understandable.
I would never have guessed that there have been 12 or more fatalities in just the events you attended (which I realize is a lot of events, but still...).
I don't buy the ''died doing what he loved" argument, but I support people's freedom to take risk.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:02 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

"but I support people's freedom to take risk"......

Amen
Old 09-03-2014, 10:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,333 Likes on 1,892 Posts

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...9&l=719a954612

Racing my pristine Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider Veloce at a VSCCA event...

VSCCA has no trouble finding underwriters for their Club event insurance.

You pay your money and you make your choice...

Quick Reply: LRP Historics today - bad wreck