Old 07-08-2014, 12:37 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 912 Posts
Default F1 Tire Diameter - Changes in the Wind

Pirelli reveal 18-inch tire images

F1 News
Jul 8, 2014

Pirelli is introducing a new 18-inch tyre design concept to showcase the way that Formula One could look in the near future. But rather than an abstract design, this is a fully functional tyre, capable of completing demonstration runs around Silverstone during the forthcoming in-season test from next Tuesday to next Wednesday (8-9 July).

The 18-inch tyre is an idea that Pirelli has promoted ever since the company was first announced as Formula One official tyre supplier back in 2010. Larger wheel and tyre sizes reflect modern market trends; with the adoption of a larger size invariably leading to even greater technology transfer between Formula One tyres and road car tyres.

Pirelli would only progress this initiative if there were a genuine desire from the teams, promoter and other stakeholders to move in such a direction. This is in accordance with the Italian firm’s consistent philosophy of being a technical partner and sponsor entirely at the service of the teams and the sport, in order to benefit the spectacle as a whole.

These tyres, developed and created by Pirelli’s engineers as part of the company’s premium strategy, serve only as an example of what is possible. However, the technology is in place already to produce this type of tyre with the same standards of performance and reliability set by the current 13-inch rubber. Indeed, with a new tyre concept right at the beginning of its development curve, the possibilities are almost limitless. These include even larger sizes in future.

A new 18-inch tyre would not be without its technical challenges to produce, although the pay-off would be increased rigidity through having less flexibility in the sidewalls. Nonetheless, this necessary movement forms an important part of the current Formula One car’s suspension and damping.

A smaller sidewall would also inevitably lead to drastically reduced branding space. In spite of this, Pirelli is completely ready and capable to move ahead with development of such a tyre should the teams wish for it to happen. And proof of this proactive capability lies in the existence of the tyres that will be circulating around Silverstone next week.

Lotus is scheduled to take a 2014 E22 out on the Silverstone Grand Prix track during next week’s test on Wednesday, equipped with one-off Pirelli P Zero 18-inch concept tyres.

Pirelli’s motorsport director Paul Hembery commented:

“The 13-inch tyre is no longer relevant to the everyday road user, because even an 18-inch tyre is used by standard vehicles these days. While 18-inch tyres would be a big step for Formula One, there are many other motorsport series that already use this size. So there’s scope to go even bigger than that in Formula One in years to come. In order to underline F1’s role as a test bed for future mobility solutions, we believe that it benefits everybody to have as close a link between road car tyres and competition tyres as possible: a belief we have held ever since we introduced the low profile tyre from competition to road use back in the 1970s. However, we’d like to emphasise that this move is not something that we are actively pushing for, as our role in Formula One is not to instigate changes. Instead, it’s to help teams and drivers make the most out of the equipment, regulations and resources they have at their disposal – whatever they decide that framework is going to be.”

Although they are testing the 18-inch tire, Hembery told press at the British Grand Prix that it may not be the tire of choice as a larger tire might be the way to go saying:

“We said many years ago that the larger diameter rims were something we would always go along with, but we have also said we will do what the sport wants – and that is the over-riding factor,” said Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery.

“So we thought let’s go with it. It is about aesthetics. Does it make F1 more relevant for road cars and is it a direction the sport wants to take?

“We thought it would be worthwhile to create for the F1 Commission and the Strategy Group, some images of a current F1 car with some 18-inch tyres.

“The 18-inch tyre is one solution – but going forward I think 19-inch or 20-inch tyres are the direction you want to go.”

http://www.formula1blog.com/f1-news/...h-tire-images/
Old 07-08-2014, 12:41 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pirelli trying to reduce their development budget for F1 ... BLING BLING
Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2014, 11:04 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,180 Posts
Default Pirelli and Lotus test 18-inch Formula 1 tires

http://www.roadandtrack.com/racing/r...?src=soc_fcbks

A few weeks ago at Le Mans, I stepped into the tire tent, where Michelin was open about its disdain for the F1 tire program. The 13-inch tires used in the pinnacle of motorsport don't teach manufacturers much about real-world tire physics or composition because the tire construction is so different. The Michelin guys thank their lucky stars they don't have to build F1 tires any more and can instead focus on the 18-inch LMP1 tire program, which allows them to collect data they can use to engineer better tires for road cars.

RELATED: "God help a team" that loses a Michelin racing tire

It looks like Pirelli is reaching the same conclusion in F1; they've had enough of the 13-inch tire nonsense too. Based on what I learned from Michelin, these programs are so ludicrously expensive that if you're not scraping every iota of data out of every race, you're pouring money into a huge pit and igniting it with race fuel.

This is an 18-inch F1 tire next to the current 13-inch tire—a dramatic difference:

Pirelli and Lotus aren't expecting am immediate rule change. Pirelli's contract is up in 2017, and that's when Formula 1 might make the switch to bigger tires—perhaps even larger than 18 inches. According to Autosport, Pirelli's motorsport director thinks 19- or 20-inch rubber is the way to go. In the meantime, the 18-inch tires will go on Lotus F1's cars during testing as Pirelli makes the case to the F1 brass.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:15 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,571 Posts

It makes sense and I think the tires look fine on F1 cars. If I had to chose between the ridiculous nose and these tires I would take the tires in a heartbeat.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 912 Posts

Definitely a different look: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/photos/...=-6&oft=47&p=2
Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2014, 04:40 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Be curious to find out how much re-engineering of the suspension will be required. I would expect at a minimum, springs and dampers will require a complete rethink
Old 07-09-2014, 04:55 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by dbf73
Be curious to find out how much re-engineering of the suspension will be required. I would expect at a minimum, springs and dampers will require a complete rethink
9 seconds off the pace with these tires means there must be a lot of re-engineering to be done.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:07 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I hadn't seen that number yet but I'm guessing Pirelli was ultra conservative in terms of compound and construction
Old 07-09-2014, 05:53 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Everything behind the wheel could be redesigned to optimize. There is a way bigger envelope now for the uprights and brakes. Bigger brakes and different suspension geometry could be a result in the future. It has to be a big challenge to fit all of the parts under a 13" wheel and keep everything cool.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:09 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On F1 cars, aren't the tire sidewalls a critical part of the suspension dampening so that 18" wheels would require radically different suspension? ie much larger or longer springs
Old 07-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 18" wheels in F1

So what do you think of the 18" wheels that they are considering for F1. I say that it is about time and I do like the way they make the car look more up to date, but it will take me a while to get used to them. After all, I have been watching them for 40 years on the 13's and this car looks a little like it has Dubs on it.
Attached Images  
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:28 PM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a fan of the look personally. Interested in learning how the size affects performance though.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:35 PM
PPo
Drifting

I like the way it looks... but I don't watch F1 for how the cars look. I have been a fan for 30+ years, if looks where important, I would have stopped by now for numerous reasons...

I don't really care about the marginal, if any, performance increase. Will it help slow cars be competitive? Doubt it...

This is just lipstick...
Old 07-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the testing at Silverstone, Charles Pic was 9 seconds off the pace, but they basically just put the wheels & tires on the car and did 14 laps. They said that the car was much more sensitive to pressure and camber changes. That seems obvious given the severely reduced sidewalls.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:59 PM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

What are they even testing them for? Are they supposed to just look cool, or are they testing them for performance gains? Same reason they want to add skid plates to make cars spark like years ago? Tv ratings? How does that old saying go.. "If it aint broke, don't fix it"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F1 Tire Diameter - Changes in the Wind