Trailer tires...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:51 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts
Default Trailer tires...

I have a 2005 ATC enclosed all aluminum 22' V nose I've had since new. It always sits inside except when going to a race weekend. We've probably used it 5-6 times a year up until a couple years ago when it was more sporatic. Usually hauled a Spec Miata and twice the GT3. Longest trip to Road America ( 300 miles or so).
Tires still look essentially new, but we're going to be on the road more this year taking my son's formula race car around the midwest. Should I get new tires just because of age or am I being overly paranoid?? Spare has never been off the wall.

TIA...
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2014, 07:54 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Get new tires, including the spare(s). I had TWO fail on me within 45 minutes of each other. They simply aged out. And carry TWO spare tires!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:09 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had my 2.5 year old Maxxis E-loads start delaminating. They too looked brand new with probably 4k miles on them. It's just not worth the risk and do get E-rated tires, the bigger the better....
Old 03-19-2014, 11:10 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Ask me how miserable it is to have two trailer tires fail on one trip--- and not from punctures. The belts failed and one of the tires then exploded. Now I carry two spares. Tires do age out. Five years is likely OK if they're not always outdoors. Nine years is asking for trouble.

The other issue is brand. The Goodyear Marathons used to be US made. They then moved to New Zealand. They still seemed OK. Now they're made in China and don't seem to be made as well. I've had two where the sides seem to be built slightly off.

BTW, can you put ice studs in those wet tires?
Old 03-20-2014, 01:06 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Go to discount tire, get a set of 16" wheels, even aluminum if you want, and get a set of 10 ply LT (truck) utility tires. Around a grand all in. Use your existing spare. You're done until they wear out. You will save a crapload of money in the long run, and have the confidence they won't fall apart and damage your trailer, your car or you...

Trailer tires are bogus
Old 03-20-2014, 10:37 AM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get new tires and spares. Other than the hassle of getting flats, you can lose control due to a blow-out, lose the trailer, lose your car, lose your tow vehicle and lose your life and that of you son's.

There is a 2013 posting about a driver of a pro team's trailer losing his life in an accident caused by a trailer tire blow-out.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:03 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 171 Posts

It is not if you will be on the side of the road, just a matter of when.
Trailer tires are a weak link, service often.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:31 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

I think there is a theme going here... off to the tire store...
Old 03-20-2014, 05:37 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
It is not if you will be on the side of the road, just a matter of when.
Trailer tires are a weak link, service often.
Seems to always be in the rain too.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:50 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would replace them. They are getting to that point that age is going to be an issue with them. Call me if I can help.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:58 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Go to discount tire, get a set of 16" wheels, even aluminum if you want, and get a set of 10 ply LT (truck) utility tires. Around a grand all in. Use your existing spare. You're done until they wear out. You will save a crapload of money in the long run, and have the confidence they won't fall apart and damage your trailer, your car or you...

Trailer tires are bogus
+1

Did this last year on my rig, a 30 ft enclosed Pace Shadow GT triple axle. New 16" aluminum rims and Dunlop HT tires all around including a spare.

Ryan
Old 03-23-2014, 09:39 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Trailer tires are bogus
Concept is good, but won't work on my Trailex with 14" tires. Not enough clearance by the fenders.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:23 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Trailer tires are bogus
Given the fact that I run my trailer far closer to 80mph than I do 70, I've also contacted our friend Damon regarding a proper tire/wheel package.

For three years my D rated 15" ST Marathons have done well for me, but....
Old 03-24-2014, 07:33 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboCup87
Concept is good, but won't work on my Trailex with 14" tires. Not enough clearance by the fenders.
Same here. Guess just need to keep an eye on them and replace sooner rather than later. Not a lot of miles on mine (2012 trailer) but it is stored outdoors.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:12 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

So I've almost as many trailer tire threads as I have about what to tow your trailer with, a Peterbuilt seems to be the proper vehicle around here. So what is the deal with trailer tires - lousy design, poor manufacturing. I have an open featherlite trailer with new tires as of 2 years ago, I'll use it to tow a spec 944. Do the lighter trailers have all the same issues or is weight a big factor. I bought a trailer tire pressure monitoring system, so at least I know if I have a tire going down.
Phil

Quick Reply: Trailer tires...