Sponsored by:

Anyone Tested The New Toyo RR's?....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 09:48 AM
dempseyonline
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CFGT3,

How recent did that happen in those photos? This year?

Scott

----------------
"Here are some RRs that were mounted on the rims but not yet put on the car. Already had a splice or separation...."
Old 06-03-2016, 09:58 AM
htron435
Advanced

I've been using them on my Spec Miata since they were introduced -- it's the spec tire in NASA. I use the Toyo specified mounting procedure, and I rotate them all over the car. I've only seen the seam once on an early set, and that was from using the tire for a number of sessions without rotating the set. Have had no problems since, but I rotate after 2-3 sessions. Front to rear, left to right, doesn't matter where -- just to even out the wear. Granted, this is on a Miata and not a heavier car, but I've been very pleased with them.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:29 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by dempseyonline
CFGT3,

How recent did that happen in those photos? This year?

Scott

----------------
"Here are some RRs that were mounted on the rims but not yet put on the car. Already had a splice or separation...."
This was just last month. Luckily noticed the splice before putting it on the car.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:54 PM
dempseyonline
5th Gear

Originally Posted by CFGT3
This was just last month. Luckily noticed the splice before putting it on the car.

CFGT3,
who did you buy the tire through, curious about manufacture date (old stock?), and did they take it back and quickly send you another?

I'm wondering if this could be the mounting person putting too much air pressure in at first and it splits them before ever having gone on a car?

I had mine mounted today (thanks to Collin earlier for the link)...and of course I get home and notice one of them mounted wrong so I get to take that one back for a do-over.

Hoping I never see this issue, but I guess it dictates to have these mounted and sitting a bit before an event just in case.

Scott
Old 06-03-2016, 02:33 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by dempseyonline
CFGT3,
who did you buy the tire through, curious about manufacture date (old stock?), and did they take it back and quickly send you another?

I'm wondering if this could be the mounting person putting too much air pressure in at first and it splits them before ever having gone on a car?

I had mine mounted today (thanks to Collin earlier for the link)...and of course I get home and notice one of them mounted wrong so I get to take that one back for a do-over.

Hoping I never see this issue, but I guess it dictates to have these mounted and sitting a bit before an event just in case.

Scott
I bought it from a well known supplier out west that suppies a lot of the racers. I'd rather not say who it was because he was reluctant to take it back and send it to Toyo as a defected tire. He claimed shipping or mounting problems caused the splice. After a heated argument, he reluctantly took it back (there's more to the story, but don't want to get into it on a public forum).

Having been in the motorsports world since the 1990s, I've seen my fair share of tires and I just don't have much good to say about the RRs -- Unfortunately, we're forced to run them in spec racing. I don't run them when I don't have to in my other cars.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:18 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by CFGT3
I bought it from a well known supplier out west that suppies a lot of the racers. I'd rather not say who it was because he was reluctant to take it back and send it to Toyo as a defected tire. He claimed shipping or mounting problems caused the splice. After a heated argument, he reluctantly took it back (there's more to the story, but don't want to get into it on a public forum). Having been in the motorsports world since the 1990s, I've seen my fair share of tires and I just don't have much good to say about the RRs -- Unfortunately, we're forced to run them in spec racing. I don't run them when I don't have to in my other cars.
I don't have the same experience with RRs

Good grip for 10cycles

If you mount them right they don't cut

Great contingency program keeps running costs down
Old 06-05-2016, 01:01 AM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

What I noticed on this tire is - where the split/crack is, is NOT where the seam is.

Quick Reply: Anyone Tested The New Toyo RR's?....