Sponsored by:

McNabb on Jimmy Johnson

Old 11-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
...on top of having obviously (to us) baseline aerobic fitness...
Some more, some less...
(as far as McNabb, how someone in his position can be so clueless about other sport is pretty "impressive")
Attached Images   

Last edited by Flying Finn; 11-18-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:44 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,869 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
LOL...Donovan who?

What a fekking maroon.

Jimmy responds: http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...257c%257c%257c
Pure class = Jimmy Johnson. Didn't know he is now on the level of F1 drivers competing in marathons and triathalons! Super impressive but it's not the good old boy chicken fried steak days anymore either. Brad Kowslowski might have had other words for Donovan

Nearly fell off my chair laughing when Jimma said they he just needed to put Donovan in a go kart to see what it's all about. I suggest we put Donovan in a two seater Indycar with a 65 year old Mario Andretti and see what happens.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:53 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Pure class = Jimmy Johnson. Didn't know he is now on the level of F1 drivers competing in marathons and triathalons! Super impressive but it's not the good old boy chicken fried steak days anymore either. Brad Kowslowski might have had other words for Donovan

Nearly fell off my chair laughing when Jimma said they he just needed to put Donovan in a go kart to see what it's all about. I suggest we put Donovan in a two seater Indycar with a 65 year old Mario Andretti and see what happens.
ESPN ran a four part series on Jimmie Johnson a couple of years ago and the detailed his training. Similar vein to what the top F1 drivers do, with heavy emphasis on strong cardio conditioning to combat fatigue.

I'd love to any of the doubters do 500 miles at Talladega. Or Bristol...
Old 11-18-2013, 01:55 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 519 Likes on 278 Posts

I think I know why so many non-racer think racers are not athletes: your ability to win or lose does not DEPEND on your athletic ability or conditioning. ^^^ Case in point: JPM and Tony Stewart. Both are good/great racers, but neither has put much into conditioning and work outs. The same cannot be said for players in football/baseball/hockey/soccer/basketball/tennis. They MUST be in good condition to be even vaguely competitive.

There really is a fair comparison to golf, IMO. Racing takes Skill first, just like golf. Athleticism HELPS be a better racer and golfer, but is not necessarily what separates winning from losing...IMO...

So...are most racers Athletes? Absolutely. But do you HAVE to be in stellar condition to do well? Not necessarily. Again, IMO...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 11-18-2013, 02:21 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by naroescape
I think I know why so many non-racer think racers are not athletes: your ability to win or lose does not DEPEND on your athletic ability or conditioning. ^^^ Case in point: JPM and Tony Stewart. Both are good/great racers, but neither has put much into conditioning and work outs. The same cannot be said for players in football/baseball/hockey/soccer/basketball/tennis. They MUST be in good condition to be even vaguely competitive.

There really is a fair comparison to golf, IMO. Racing takes Skill first, just like golf. Athleticism HELPS be a better racer and golfer, but is not necessarily what separates winning from losing...IMO...

So...are most racers Athletes? Absolutely. But do you HAVE to be in stellar condition to do well? Not necessarily. Again, IMO...
Tony Stewarts diet of Soda Cookies aside, he is the exception to the rule. He's just a gifted driver. But unlike his younger years, his lack of conditioning today would preclude him from winning in Indycars. NASCAR does not have the same level of fitness that F1 and open wheelers require.

I think Jimmy Johnson has just upped the game to the NASCAR boys with his level of fitness not unlike what Michael Schumacher did when he came on the scene. The James Hunt days of smoking, drinking and partying is over in F1 (Kimi aside, he's just a gifted driver).
Old 11-18-2013, 02:43 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony Stewarts diet of Soda Cookies aside, he is the exception to the rule. He's just a gifted driver. But unlike his younger years, his lack of conditioning today would preclude him from winning in Indycars. NASCAR does not have the same level of fitness that F1 and open wheelers require.

I think Jimmy Johnson has just upped the game to the NASCAR boys with his level of fitness not unlike what Michael Schumacher did when he came on the scene. The James Hunt days of smoking, drinking and partying is over in F1 (Kimi aside, he's just a gifted driver).
1970s Montreal Canadiens hockey legend Guy Lafleur used to smoke cigarettes in the locker room. Today it is unthinkable that a professional hockey player would smoke period, let alone smoke in the dressing room between periods. But Lafleur was still an athlete. But as motorsports becomes more and more competitive for sponsorship money, expect to see more and more drivers take their fitness more seriously.

BTW ... I am sure it is pure coincidence but I could not help but laugh my ### off this weekend whenever the Jenson Button/Tony Stewart Mobile One TV commercial aired. That was too funny when you think about what McNabb thinks about motorsports. Now I have never driven a NASCAR sprint car (nor any one of their development cars). But I would be happy to let Donovan McNabb do some laps in my Rotax DD2 Kart and then tell me that driving that thing which hits close to 3Gs in the high speed sweepers is not an athletic experience.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:01 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
I'd love to any of the doubters do 500 miles at Talladega. Or Bristol...
Bristol moreso than 'Dega.....but Watkins Glen would do it to them in ways they never imagined. Of course, they'd come out of the car dripping in sweat, wondering what just happened to their neck muscles, only to find out that they were 5+ seconds off the pace.

Originally Posted by My993C2
Now I have never driven a NASCAR sprint car (nor any one of their development cars). But I would be happy to let Donovan McNabb do some laps in my Rotax DD2 Kart and then tell me that driving that thing which hits close to 3Gs in the high speed sweepers is not an athletic experience.

15 laps on pavement at someplace like Pat's Acres (Portland, OR) will do it. The first time that you realize you're having trouble holding your head up will get the point across.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:13 PM
hbayless
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love to hear Mc Nabb squeal like a baby in a car with jimmy!!
Old 11-20-2013, 12:37 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

McNabb is a ******* turd that seemed to play too much football without a helmet.

The is trying to become relevant.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:20 AM
Adker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest we put Donovan in a two seater Indycar with a 65 year old Mario Andretti and see what happens.
Mario was born in 1940 so he is a bit older then that. What he is doing is pretty amazing and his twin brother Aldo is still around. I wonder if Donovan would even fit in an Indy car.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:34 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adker
Mario was born in 1940 so he is a bit older then that. What he is doing is pretty amazing and his twin brother Aldo is still around. I wonder if Donovan would even fit in an Indy car.
Is that right? Mario is going to be 74 years old this upcoming year??? He looks great and better than McNabb's pear shape
Old 11-20-2013, 11:04 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is funny.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/11/kevi.../?sf19715910=1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: McNabb on Jimmy Johnson