Old 10-06-2013, 02:17 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default SmartyCam HD review

I was able to try out a friend's SmartyCam HD today, and here are my thoughts:

PROS:
1) sturdy design
2) super easy to use once properly setup. Just turn on, and go. Will start recording when the car is moving, and stop when the car is stopped. When you're done, just pull out the SD card and plug in to watch on your computer. It's that easy
3) Nice looking gauges that are easy to setup. The gauges are nicer looking than what trackvision has to offer. Also, you can split the gauges up and place them anywhere on the screen, unlike trackvision which forces you to bundle everything together
4) seamless interface with AiM Solo DL
5) Nice camera controls/menu

CONS:
1) Either there is no microphone, or this is the absolute worst microphone/audio input ever designed. Listen to the video below. At first I thought the unit might be defective, but my other friend's smartycamHD sounds the same as well.
Is there an external mic option? If so, it MUST be purchased.
2) The unit is pretty heavy, so even though the RAM mount is sturdy, there is a lot of oscillation and I don't know if I would be comfortable with a suction cup mount used outside of the car on a camera this heavy
3) The video quality is not good for an 'HD' camera. As much as I hate the interface on gopros, the video quality on a gopro is WORLDS better.
4) The LCD viewfinder screen is horrible resolution and TINY. It's pretty tough to see what is going on, especially in the bright sunlight.
5) The cable that connects the camera to a logger like the Solo is too short.
6) You cannot resize the gauges to your liking
7) There are not gauges available for all of the channels that one can log. For example, there is no steering angle display to show your steering wheel position
8) No way to accommodate multiple camera views
9) No display for 'best lap time'

With the exception of the horrific microphone, I think the smartycamHD is the only good plug and play option out there right now for people that want easy, no hassle, data overlay.

I'm a huge fan of the Solo DL. I think that unit is perfection. However, I'm lukewarm on the smartycam. I personally prefer the versatility that trackvision has, and the video/sound quality that I get out of a gopro. However, this route takes time and effort that most people don't want to bother with.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:22 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 173 Posts

No best lap? Seems to be a pretty basic thing...
Old 10-06-2013, 02:29 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
CONS:
1) Either there is no microphone, or this is the absolute worst microphone/audio input ever designed. Listen to the video below. At first I thought the unit might be defective, but my other friend's smartycamHD sounds the same as well.
Is there an external mic option? If so, it MUST be purchased.
2) The unit is pretty heavy, so even though the RAM mount is sturdy, there is a lot of oscillation and I don't know if I would be comfortable with a suction cup mount used outside of the car on a camera this heavy
3) The video quality is not good for an 'HD' camera. As much as I hate the interface on gopros, the video quality on a gopro is WORLDS better.
4) The LCD viewfinder screen is horrible resolution and TINY. It's pretty tough to see what is going on, especially in the bright sunlight.
5) The cable that connects the camera to a logger like the Solo is too short.
6) You cannot resize the gauges to your liking
7) There are not gauges available for all of the channels that one can log. For example, there is no steering angle display to show your steering wheel position
8) No way to accommodate multiple camera views
9) No display for 'best lap time'
I've been using the SmartyCam, and now the SmartyCam HD for a little while now, and I think a few of your cons are easily addressed.

1) You can use an external microphone. You just need to get the CAN cable with the external microphone connection (I agree the standard mic isn't very good), and then you're good to go.

5) You can order the SmartyCam HD with either a 2 meter or 4 meter CAN cable. I can't imagine the 4m one not being long enough for anyone's needs.

7) Using the Race Studio software, you can setup a custom label that can show you the steering angle. It'll just be a simple number display (not a fancy tilting steering wheel graphic), but it will display. You can do this for any variable that the ECU bridge or Solo DL transmits.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

My experience has been favorable with the new camera. Not only is the 720P more than enough to pick out the landmarks I need to point out, but the 84 degree FOV is a big improvement. Having installed these on cars that are very "vibraty" I have been very pleased with the image stabilization and lack of distortion these cameras provide.

Shizzle has answered some of the concerns, but my audio sounds pretty good, especially in an open car. No more crackling or knocking around noises. The exposure control is very good, too.

I was in a pit with four Cayman's this past weekend and when we put an HD in my client's car, he bought one on the spot. Everyone under the tent (they all had the standard SmartyCam in their cars) want one, too.

I like it. Better than expected, by far.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-06-2013, 04:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Peter, how do you think your audio quality compares to the video I posted above and the video here:

These are 2 different cameras. Both open top boxster spyders. Both cruddy audio. Do you think both are defective, or does your sound similar? I've very curious to know.

While there is an external mic solution for the smartycam, unfortunately there is NO external mic solution for the smartycam HD currently
Old 10-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 757 Likes on 497 Posts

I haven't used an SC HD, but does it have a volume recording level like the old one?
Old 10-06-2013, 05:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No, and no external microphone option as yet. An automatic gain control for both the audio and light levels has been incorporated into the HD camera. You can select "Closed" or Open" vehicles in the settings for light level.

This is because the CAN cable is 5-pin male to 5-pin male, not like the original SmartyCam.

Joe, my audio is better, but I don't know why? Let me screw around with mine more.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:58 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Peter. I see the spot meter selection for open or closed top (makes no difference in audio), but I can't find anything to adjust audio. Let me know if you find anything.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:50 PM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

So there is no connector for external microphone at all?? If true.. that's just plain stupid!
Old 10-08-2013, 04:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JarmoL
So there is no connector for external microphone at all?? If true.. that's just plain stupid!
There will be one. Relax...
Old 10-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Rene
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter I have the solo DL I purchased from you. My car does not have a OBD option for the DL is there a way to log RPM's?
Old 10-08-2013, 08:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Rene, refresh my memory? Which car, which ECU?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Rene
Racer

Peter i just sent you an email
Old 10-09-2013, 12:59 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by ProCoach

This is because the CAN cable is 5-pin male to 5-pin male, not like the original SmartyCam.

Peter, so how does one go about connecting to an existing Pista? Via data hub?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:10 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes! The MXL/EVO4 expansion allows for as many AiM accessories as you want connected through AiM's own CAN to the 5-pin female "EXP" ports on those loggers. The AiM CAN Hub allows turning one open expansion port into 4.

If you use the MXL Exp port for your antenna, you'll need a CAN Hub plugged into the MXL, then plug the antenna and the SmartyCam (regular or HD) into the hub.

The difference with the new camera is it uses a 5-pin female connector on the back of the camera to standardize that connection scheme. The new cameras come with new cords, and if you have to change from an original SC, you'll need to change the cable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SmartyCam HD review