hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts
Default I never knew Senna did a "test" with Penske

Might be old news, it's new to me

English Translation:
Silvia Vinhas (TV Reporter)
... signed contract for racing next year in Formula One season, used these days off to accept Emerson Fittipaldi's invitation, with Team Penske's help, to try for the first time in his career, an Indycar (Formula Indy car). Emerson and Ayrton arrived at the circuit very early, with the goal of doing some checks. Senna had some questions and wanted to see things up close.

Ayrton Senna heard the instructions not only from Emerson, but from the whole team, and waited patiently for his turn. After some laps, Emerson finally gave the green flag to Senna.

Emerson Fittipaldi:
Look, the track today has a very low temperature, tires aren't working that well, it takes them about 10 laps to warm up, and I told Ayrton, 'you gotta get out, there's plenty of time' and I think he'll like it. The only problem is that this is such a small track, looks like a go-cart track, but that's what Ayrton likes, he likes those go-cart's tracks, heh

Silvia Vinhas:
How is this going, you took a look around, saw him testing the car, what are your first impressions before going out with the car, Ayrton?

Ayrton Senna:
Heh There's not too much to say about it, gotta try it out first, and then talk about it, but race cars are like some sort of drug, you start getting anxious when you're on the outside

Silvia Vinhas
The only major adaptation was the driver's seat on the car. Ayrton used Rick Mears' because his biotype is more like his.

All set, it's now the great moment. Ayrton Senna does his first test on Formula Indy, in a very slow and tight track, not allowing for great sprints, yet Ayrton reached great speed, and could enjoy the emotion of that moment.

Silvia Vinhas
All right, after his first test here in Phoenix, Ayrton Senna did a historical moment, to say the truth, what did you feel?

Ayrton senna
I think that racing cars are like a drug, on the blood, and when I got close, here, started to feel that very special feeling, and when they started the engine, to warm it up, I remember when we used the Turbos there in Formula One, so the virus started moving inside me, it was a little bit sleepy, and after watching Emerson running, the passion was so high, and now after having tried the car, it's a very slow track, and due to it's characteristics, the car works in a very particular way, but the feeling, the sensation is great

Silvia Vinhas
How do you see his first test?

Emerson Fittipaldi
I am very happy, for us it is a very special day, Ayrton having his first experience with Indy, feeling, and as he said, it's important to feel and to like it, and I think Ayrton liked it a lot, and I think that sooner or later he'll be here together with us at Indy, now it's a matter of time

Silvia Vinhas
Is that true?

Ayrton Senna
Yeah I think so, I think that before trying an Indy, my idea was something not related to reality, and, um, one day I'll drive this car, it's just a matter of time, as Emerson said, we gotta wait for the right moment, the right time, to eventually race here in the United States

Silvia Vinhas
So nothing is defined for you here for 1993

Ayrton Senna
No, not at all, and the fact that I came here does not had a conoction that I had something signed, that I would drive here, I have to ponder all the alternatives, regarding my career, and due to all difficulties, the F1 problems, and with Emerson provoking me, I decided to come here and see it, and I was very happy that I could see with my own eyes, what is like to drive an Indy car, despite this short track, because now I have more information for when the decision time arrives, be it now or in 60 days, I'll take a more correct decision about my future

Silvia Vinhas
You never hid the fact that Emerson was, and is, a great idol for you, the fact you came here under his wings, what do you say about it?

Ayrton Senna
Oh Emerson, well, it's not because he's here, but he is the responsible for, not only mine, but for the dreams of so many other brazilians who loved racing and could get involved and then race in F1, it was a dream for me, I got there, quite quickly, and I could experience F1, and he's all responsible for that, because it was during his days, when he was winning Formula One races, F1 Championships, and we, young as we were, went straight for it

Emerson
Are we the same age?

Ayrton
Yeah, we're close, but he's a little bit ahead, and after all these years, Emerson did a turn around in his career, after some difficult times, started a new life here in the US, spread the word about Formula Indy, not only in Brasil, but worldwide, won a Championship, and then it ignited this curiosity in all of us brazilians, to see what's Formula Indy's all about, and me in particular, already in F1, started paying more attention, and then he bring me up here, he's nuts, I was quited down there in Brasil, calm, thinking about beaches, jet skies, sun, and ended up here in Phoenix, middle of the desert, it's all his fault,

Silvia
And you're always opening doors, and now you did it to Ayrton Senna, now with a 3 times World Champion,

Emerson
Look, I think it was a very special day to me, I am a big fan of Ayrton's, I watch every F1 race like the millions of brazilian fans, so yes it was a very special day to me
Old 09-20-2013, 11:37 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Yup. Another little tid bit of that era: it was rumored that Enzo had signed Senna to a Ferrari contract for the following year but for the tragic accident at Imola
Old 09-20-2013, 11:46 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Yup. Another little tid bit of that era: it was rumored that Enzo had signed Senna to a Ferrari contract for the following year but for the tragic accident at Imola
What?

Ferrari died in '88, the year of the MP4/4 and long before this test ever took place, and Senna had more than a 1-year deal with Williams.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:17 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Penske test was basically a big F-U to the FIA, I believe; showing them that he had other options.

as for Senna and Ferrari, I think Enzo blew that chance when Senna was at Toleman or Lotus.

Quick Reply: I never knew Senna did a "test" with Penske