Sponsored by:

Issues with GoPro Hero2 Firmware for Traqmate

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 03:21 PM
JoshuaB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Issues with GoPro Hero2 Firmware for Traqmate

Has anyone had issues with getting their GoPro Hero2 to the correct firmware that Traqmate requires (v124)?

I have two Hero2 cameras, one that was at v70 and one that was at v190 something. I followed the instructions from the Traqmate forum on this thread: http://forum.traqmate.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18274

I successfully bricked both cameras, which ironically is part of what you need to do with a camera that is running a later firmware version… Using GoPro’s CineForm Studio as part of the process and on three different PCs one running Windows7, one Vista and the last running XP as well as downloading the v124 firmware from both GoPro as well as Traqmate, I cannot get either camera to v124.

I tried 6 times with each camera (2 shots using each of my PCs) and when following the procedure exactly described via text in the Traqmate thread as well as following along with the video, all I can do with v124 is successfully brick both cameras…

Using the full process with Cineform, I can get both cameras unbricked running the current firmware, which is HD2.08.12.312.WIFI.R68.00 released on 07/29/2013…
  • Has anyone had issues getting to v124 after multiple attempts and figured out any tricks?
  • I have spent way to much time trying to get this to work, I would happily pay (even Traqmate) if there is anyone that offers a moderate priced service to get this to work, does anyone know if one exists?
  • Anyone interested in 2 GoPro2 cameras running the most current firmware at a fair price with a bunch of mounts, cables, etc so I can switch to Replay cameras and be done with this
Thanks for any help,

Joshua
Old 08-05-2013, 03:30 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would also like to know this -- subscribed.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,908 Likes on 1,705 Posts

I've lucked out and done it twice in the last week, but I've had it fail like you on two more.

I can't tell you anything other than what you've done. It's a shame, because the .124 works really well and fixes all the glitchy sync issues I've had since the .198 firmware release.

The Replay is the best solution... for more than this reason.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-05-2013, 10:16 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

i just ordered the replay, tried with my 3 which traqmate said they do not support but we did get it to turn on but not shut off.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Well, Traqmate is very clear that the GoPro Hero 3 is not supported. And that's a GP problem, Traqmate didn't change a thing! Same problem with the f/w update.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:59 PM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Search traqemate's forums for author por944s2. I have a thread that covers this, but it did'nt work for me so far. Camera turns on, but not off. I went back to using my Sony camera, it always worked. TM support for GP blows.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:03 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by por944s2
Search traqemate's forums for author por944s2. I have a thread that covers this, but it did'nt work for me so far. Camera turns on, but not off. I went back to using my Sony camera, it always worked. TM support for GP blows.
To be fair to Traqmate, I doubt there's any way to detect which camera / firmware version is attached to the Traqmate. The interface is pretty basic from what I understand of the DIY recording start button thread that surfaced on here a few years ago: basically, it just gives power to the turn-on pin when it wants a change of state.

I have almost never said this before, but a Bluetooth interface may be the ultimate evolution of this platform.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:14 AM
JoshuaB
Instructor

Thanks Por944S2, I saw your thread on the Traqmate forum and had already copy pasted what I put in this thread. No reply yet, but as you know it takes them a while to post on their own forums. If they provide some new tips or insight I will update this thread with their response.

There is no shortage of YouTube videos on how to put prior firmware versions on Hero2 cameras...a few noted it make take several attempts for a given camera to work. I plan to try a few more times this weekend and also use a mac to see if that brings better luck.

I understand that Traqmate did not change anything and GoPro did, but after spending quite a bit of money in a full traqmate setup (SU, Traqdash, TraqdataHD, cables, etc.) that is supposed to work with Hero2 cameras, it is very frustrating that Traqmate has not come up with something that will work for those of us in this situation.

To replace my front and rear cameras with Replay XDs and add in the 2 new cables I will need, plus microSD cards, etc. etc. etc. it will not be a trivial amount of money…
Old 08-06-2013, 10:23 AM
JoshuaB
Instructor

Originally Posted by pontifex4
I have almost never said this before, but a Bluetooth interface may be the ultimate evolution of this platform.
The wifi on the Hero3 works pretty well. I was helping a buddy test a Vectormount with a Hero3 black edition camera this past weekend and we used the iPhone app and the camera’s wifi to start and stop the camera as well as view the picture while driving down the road…

http://vectormount.com/vectormount/v...go-2x-kit.html
Old 08-06-2013, 03:51 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by por944s2
i think its more that GP screws around with their internals and code which doesnt allow for traqmate to work well with it.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:57 PM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If TM would simply post on web that users of GP camera should not update firmware. I have a friend who's setup was working fine until he updated FM, now it doesn't work. Who would know otherwise?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Considering all of the latest batch of GP2's came with .198, they were already screwed! Plus, if you had the RIGHT firmware in the camera, Cineform, GoPro's software, would automatically prompt you to do it.

This all occurred before Traqmate had any idea the GOPRO firmware update (and the way the last ones were delivered) would screw the whole thing up! There were MANY of us who have been long-time dealers who peppered Glenn, Ron and Andre about this. It was only then that everyone put the pieces together and discovered that the .198 and later firmware "broke" the sync feature because it delayed startup of the camera inconsistently.

Traqmate is COMPLETELY blameless in this area. GoPro changed the firmware to screw up "unauthorized" accessory add-ons and Traqmate got caught up in the change. When many of us complained to GoPro, they didn't pay ANY attention to us or even return our calls. Why should they?

Be careful where you point a finger if you don't know all the facts...
Old 08-07-2013, 10:23 AM
JoshuaB
Instructor

Hello Peter,

I understand what you wrote above about this being a GoPro issue, and I been sticking with Traqmate for most of the reasons you have posted about using Traqmate in many other threads…however, my feelings are that Traqmate does indeed have some responsibility here. They may not have known this WAS going to be an issue at first, BUT THEY SURE DO NOW. Just before posting this I checked their website just like I did when I purchased the Traqdata HD:

Products -> Traqmate Accessories -> Camera Control, Data Inputs, RPM -> TraqData HD2 - Add Data and Control HD Cameras

There is nothing on that page to inform purchasers of this issue with GoPro Hero2 cameras. It says it works with the Hero2 and there is a disclaimer that the Hero3 is not supported but that is it. This is now a known issue to them and as a very faithful customer of Traqmate I do indeed feel they have a responsibility to alert that the only way this will currently work properly is that the Hero2 camera MUST be running the v124 firmware. Since some cameras can be forward/back dated to that specific version that this must be checked.

At this point I have been a customer of traqmate for a very long time and feel I am at this point not buying the product but am buying the “seller”. Traqmate has no problem sending out email blasts when they have a new product or a sale or when they are offering a new video seminar, but what about alerting customers to this issue? Why cannot they send out emails to alert any customer that HAD bought a Traqdata HD about this issue?

I had one camera with a previous firmware version to the v124 and one camera with a later version and neither one would work properly. I would have the traqmate turn on the camera and then shut it right off. Have it turn it on when I was powering the system down after a session and have no session video but lots of my parked car in the paddock, and occasionally work. But when video was captured of the session, the sync was never right so I would have to spend time in traqstudio getting it as close as I could, which would take quite a bit of time. So I felt I had no option other than to get the cameras to v124 so everything would work right…and now I have 2 cameras and neither will properly with the Traqmate.

I do recognize that I purchased both the traqdata HD and both of the Hero2 cameras (just to use with the traqmate and replaced a very expensive chasecam set up I bought through traqmate) BEFORE this was a known issue by Traqmate…but what are they doing to support their customers now?

I am almost for sure going to switch to dual Replay XD cameras I have way too much money tied up in all my traqmate equipment… Should traqmate offer a package to us in this situation to at least offer a package deal for the camera(s) and the new cables at their cost? I sure think so. At this point it would be very hard for me to recommend traqmate to anyone without noting these issues, the lack of communication, the lack of a disclaimer on their website, and no reasonable solution for existing customers.

I am a CDI of a region of PCA and I get asked all the time what I use and/or what I recommend. At this point I would most likely recommend Harry’s lap timer with a few doo dads over traqmate for anyone that wants very basic data and video with rpm/speed integrated… and that is just a shame.

Seems like you know they Traqmate principles quite well and are a large retailer for them, maybe you have some thoughts you could share with them to help out customers in this very frustrating situation…

Joshua
Old 08-07-2013, 01:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Joshua, I would be glad to try and persuade Glenn and his partners to redouble their efforts on resolving this problem, even more than I already have.

I do remember having seen several e-mail blasts that were alerts and not just sales announcements. Of course, there has been a fair bit of information in their support forums for a long time.

As the Go Pro Hero 2 has begun to age, I've seen a fair number of failures of the camera, regardless of whether they are connected to the Traqmate. They are pretty darned cheap, a quarter of the price of the ChaseCam add-on, too! I'm out over $420 for exchanges I've made in the last two months for non-functioning GP2s...

I'm no apologist for the company, but I will use any influence I have to try and get this fixed, not only for you but everyone who has one of these setups. I have two that I use nearly every weekend, so I feel your pain! <grin>

I do have a fair number of people upgrading to AiM or VVB to simplify the synched video and data issues... But I still use Traqmate when I coach, because it's quick and easy and because I have TONS of legacy data!

Thanks, Peter
Old 08-07-2013, 04:47 PM
JoshuaB
Instructor

Well some really good news, the team at Traqmate did not know about the latest GoPro firmware release on July 29th, which is v312 and they tested it and got it to work...so the issue may have worked it self out.

I will test my front and rear camera this weekend with the v312 firmware which is on both of my cameras now and report back. I copy and pasted the post that was made on the traqmate forum below...

----------------------------------copy paste from Traqmate forum ----------------------------------

http://forum.traqmate.com/viewtopic....p=31708#p31708

Joshua,
You found the penny in the oatmeal!

This new firmware from GoPro actually works with our system. I just went and tested it and it seems to work quite well. However the video is exactly 1.325 seconds fast. This will require that you manually move the video back to -1.325 seconds in our software. This can be done under the video window/settings.
Select the video and use the slider to move it back. Hit apply and ok. Once that is done the video and data should be perfectly in sync. We will work on a future firmware release that will accommodate the timing issue.

Try keeping your cameras updated to the latest .312 version from GoPro and see if it works for you with the Traqmate.

Sorry about not seeing new 7/29 release, we are still testing the backdating but we would rather just stick with the new version since it works and is easier for everyone.

Thanks
Team Traqmate

Quick Reply: Issues with GoPro Hero2 Firmware for Traqmate