Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 2002 Porsche GT3 Cup Car ('05 Updates)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 09:58 AM
benz
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default FS: 2002 Porsche GT3 Cup Car ('05 Updates) SOLD

SOLD

Hello everyone, my name is Nick Benz; I am listing for sale my 2002 Porsche GT3 Cup Car (updated to full 2005 GT3 Cup specs and a brand new custom Dawe exhaust as per the new 2013 PCA Club racing rules changes). Extensive service records are available to demonstrate meticulous attention to detail (maintained continuously by Dawes Motorsports for the past 6 years). This cup car is poised to run at the front in PCA GTC3 and NASA GTS4 club racing (and currently holds three PCA GTC3 track records).

Please Click Here for Full Listing

Please Click Here for Photos

This car started life as a 2002 GT3 Cup Car through Sewickley Porsche in Pittsburgh, PA. The original owner participated in both PCA and NASA club racing events, and the car has both log books for both organizations. In early 2008, my friend Howard Altman purchased the car, and raced it primarily in PCA GTC3 class until the end of the 2012 season. Howard is a friend, fellow PCA club racer, Schattenbaum member, and customer of Dawes Motorsports, as am I. Absolutely all work done on this car over the past 6 years was done personally by Trevor Dawe at Dawes Motorsports (Stroudsburg, PA). Trevor also co-drove the car frequently in enduro races with Howard; and he set the standing PCA GTC3 track records at Carolina Motorsports Park, NJMP Thunderbolt, and Summit Point in this car. Needless to say, the car has the potential to finish on the podium at every race; it is up to the drive to take it there. Lap times and track records can be reviewed at www.rennpoints.com. Just after the purchase, Dawes updated the entire car to full 2005 GT3 Cup specs.

In terms of maintenance history, records will substantiate the near-obsessive attention to detail and dating of all components for replacement at intervals recommended by Porsche or Dawes (whichever came first). Given that Trevor also co-drove the car in enduro races, you can imagine that he was particularly motivated to ensure particular emphasis on safety and reliability. Immediately after purchase by Howard, the car was updated to full 2005 GT3 Cup specs. The engine was rebuilt in early 2008 (records available with details). Over the course of the next 5 years Howard and Trevor spared no expense in maintaining the vehicle and driving in PCA club racing GTC3 class.

As can eventually be expected in any race car driven as intended, the car did make contact with an inanimate object (a “blue bush”) on one occasion (Watkins Glen PCA club race in 2012). The damage was isolated to the front of the car, entirely in front of the fuel cell. The fuel cell, front air jack, and suspension pick-up points were NOT damaged. All replacement parts were purchased new from the factory including fenders, front bumper, front hood, headlights, wheel-liners, and front radiators (including all supports and ducting). The floor pan in front of the air jacks and fuel cell was also replaced. Dawes oversaw all repair work; as demonstrated in the attached photos (and as can be substantiated by Dawes or an inspector of your choosing), the quality of the repair work was exceptional, including perfect body panel gaps. After the car was repaired, I purchased it in late 2012.

Since taking ownership, I raced the car at Sebring in January and Lime Rock Park in April of this year (PCA Club Racing events). At Sebring, I had to retire early due to both ABS and LSD issues (more on the mechanical details later). At Lime Rock, the car performed flawlessly.

To answer the “why am I selling” question, I also have an RSCS-inspired 993 race car that I previously raced in PCA GT4S class along with my buddies Glen Crawford and Dan Yonker (both close friends from our early Drivers Education days with Reisentotor region). No human being NEEDS two race cars, and one of them has to go. I have chosen to keep the 993 that I built from scratch like Glen and Dan, so the cup car must go.

Last edited by benz; 07-14-2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Sold
Old 07-06-2013, 10:00 AM
benz
Rennlist Member

Default Mechanical Details

This car is mechanically fresh in every way EXCEPT for the engine. The engine has close to 90 running hours; depending on your tolerance for risk (and the advice of your mechanic) you might elect to continue running it for another season or two, or perform a rebuild immediately. Due to the titanium rods, Dawe recommends a rebuild at no later than 110 hours. I make no guarantee that the engine will last to 110 hours; however, prior to my decision to sell, my plan was to run the car this season and next, and then perform the rebuild at that time.

The transmission was recently rebuilt by Trevor Dawe (9 hours).

Since taking ownership (this winter), I’ve refreshed and replaced the following (for which I have receipts):

• Completely rebuilt limited slip differential
• New Tilton clutch
• New clutch master cylinder
• Rebuilt Porsche motorsports ABS system
• New fire bottle
• Clean and repacked both axles
• New battery and battery box
• New seat back brace (allows for >5yr old driver’s seat)

New exhaust system: a PCA club racing rule change for 2012 allowed exhaust modifications. At the cost of $1,500, a custom exhaust was created, which resulted in a gain of 15 HP. This is a HUGE advantage in a spec racing series. Not a lot of cars have done this as far as I can tell from the paddock and grids I’ve seen. This is a nice advantage over those that haven’t done it yet. Dawes oversaw the build by JPC fabrication in Stroudsburg, PA next to the Dawes shop. JPC does amazing metal work and build the meticulous cage in my GT4S 993 car.

The car has a JRZ 2-way adjustable dampers with stock spring rates, an AIM dash, and an installed cool suit setup. The pictures show a race radio, but I’ll be keeping it since the frequencies are all matched to my track buddies.

In summary, the car is in great mechanical shape with all aspects of the car mechanically fresh except the engine. Your risk tolerance will determine just how much life any buyer thinks there is in the engine. As for extras, I have 3 sets of wheels for the car, one with new Michelin wet slicks and the other 2 with Michelin slicks (about 5 heat cycles each). I have a random box of spare parts handed to me from Howard ranging from spark plugs to air filters to serpentine belts to water hoses to a full set of shift cables just to name a few. I have the original GT3 Cup manual from Porsche (2” thick) with all kinds of amazing maintenance and part information.

Last edited by benz; 07-06-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:01 AM
benz
Rennlist Member

Default Price & Contact Information

I’m asking $65k for everything (including all wheels, tires, spares, etc). If there are any technical questions I cannot answer, I’ll be able to get the answer from Dawes. In addition, to make any buyer comfortable, I’m prepared to pay for a day of full support with Dawes at a mid-Atlantic track so you can become familiar with the car and learn what you need to be comfortable with it. I believe the price is fair, given the documented maintenance history since new, the fresh components (sparing engine hours), 3 PCA GTC3 standing track records, and all work performed by Dawes that can be validated by Dawes. For comparison purposes, just look at the sale prices of the recent totally undocumented Brazilian cup cars that came to market in the past few months; I hope that any reasonable/knowledgeable buyer would understand that my car is certainly a better deal.

I hope I adequately covered the details of the car for any buyer. Again, my name is Nick Benz and you can reach me at nicholasbenz@yahoo.com if you are interested in the car. I have the car at my house and I live in Delaware if you are interested to see the car in person.

Last edited by benz; 07-06-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:03 AM
benz
Rennlist Member

Default Additional Photos

Please Click Here for Full Listing

Please Click Here for Photos

Old 07-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Another car waiting to be "stolen" at this price.

Nick, I just wish you and Crawford came to these decisions 18 months ago as I would have bought one of your cars.

This is another GREAT car, people!!! Buy this NOW!

GLWS!!!
Old 07-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Is it a pmna or Peter Dawe rebuild?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:22 PM
benz
Rennlist Member

It was a sealed PMNA build
Old 07-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by benz
It was a sealed PMNA build
Great Thank You
Old 07-12-2013, 01:10 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. Normally these are beaten to crap, a great car to consider........
Old 07-12-2013, 01:15 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Wow. That will go quickly.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:25 AM
benz
Rennlist Member

She found a new home - car is sold
Old 07-14-2013, 12:48 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

This is a great car ..A smart buyer got himself a really good deal on known car with all the history. Glad to see it staying local.

Congrats on the quick sale!
Old 07-14-2013, 01:43 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Congrats on the quick sale. Nice cars like that sell quickly.

Can the buyers identity be revealed?
Old 07-14-2013, 02:17 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, legit cars priced correctly sell quickly. The new buyer is a great guy in the Philadelphia area (currently races open wheel cars, and DEs a GT3 with RTR). I'm sure he'll introduce himself shortly, and will likely start mixing it up in GTC3 shortly thereafter.

Quick Reply: FS: 2002 Porsche GT3 Cup Car ('05 Updates)