Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

road car.

c.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:52 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Now back to reconsidering a halo seat for a dual purpose car. I wish they made a removable halo for street/track cars.
Sparco Ergo: seat with removable halos
Necksgen: hans-like device that offers lateral impact protection. Get this while supplies last. HANS just made them stop production of their far superior product under a patent infringement threat. (F&#% patents and HANS.)

So sad (and worried) to read these news.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:39 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Necksgen: hans-like device that offers lateral impact protection. Get this while supplies last. HANS just made them stop production of their far superior product under a patent infringement threat. (F&#% patents and HANS.)

Thanks! I don't know how I missed the Ergo with all my searching.

-Mike
Old 07-09-2013, 08:46 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Hans seats in my cars. I personally like Recaro SPG hans. infact in a few new 997 cups we've had, we change out the OMP seats to the Recaro mainly because i find the fitment o fthe recaro far tighter. plus the hans halo is thicker, that is your head moves much much lessside to side before making contact with the foam. i look for the seat that fits the very tightest and allows my body to get the least amount of momentum when spinning, hitting ,flipping.

small observation - when i watch rolex , continental and other endurance races where they face driver changes, they often do not go with halo seats. my guess is that its because the halos make it harder (ie longer) to get strapped in, hoses connected, etc. and off they go.

seems like the risks of this sport are become more and more apparent if they weren't already. i refuse to bend from the sport, or shy away. i just always want to make sure i have the maximum amount of stuff on possible.

i was at WC this weekend in the cayman. it was blistering hot. i could have worn short sleeve nomex, but armed for bear, put on the long nomex pants, and long sleeve FR coolshirt, balaclava. etc. when i got outo fthe car, i had to peel the clothes off they must hav ebeen 20lbs of sweat there. i was so hot (and had the coolsuit going) that i actually stopped sweating, and the minute i got out and got undressed, i must have sweated for 20minutes till my body cooled.

dudes, max protection. halo seats, nomex undergarments, gloves, balaclava (most deaths from what the SCCA guy told me come from suffocation and sucking in the burning rubber, oils, in a fire). hans, socks. the whole shibang.

when you screw yourself up, or off yourself, its not you that pays the price. you're done. you're gone. its the wife, sons, kids, friends.

mount up.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:51 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSA Motorsport
I have Hans seats in my cars. I personally like Recaro SPG hans. infact in a few new 997 cups we've had, we change out the OMP seats to the Recaro mainly because i find the fitment o fthe recaro far tighter. plus the hans halo is thicker, that is your head moves much much lessside to side before making contact with the foam. i look for the seat that fits the very tightest and allows my body to get the least amount of momentum when spinning, hitting ,flipping.

small observation - when i watch rolex , continental and other endurance races where they face driver changes, they often do not go with halo seats. my guess is that its because the halos make it harder (ie longer) to get strapped in, hoses connected, etc. and off they go.

seems like the risks of this sport are become more and more apparent if they weren't already. i refuse to bend from the sport, or shy away. i just always want to make sure i have the maximum amount of stuff on possible.

i was at WC this weekend in the cayman. it was blistering hot. i could have worn short sleeve nomex, but armed for bear, put on the long nomex pants, and long sleeve FR coolshirt, balaclava. etc. when i got outo fthe car, i had to peel the clothes off they must hav ebeen 20lbs of sweat there. i was so hot (and had the coolsuit going) that i actually stopped sweating, and the minute i got out and got undressed, i must have sweated for 20minutes till my body cooled.

dudes, max protection. halo seats, nomex undergarments, gloves, balaclava (most deaths from what the SCCA guy told me come from suffocation and sucking in the burning rubber, oils, in a fire). hans, socks. the whole shibang.

when you screw yourself up, or off yourself, its not you that pays the price. you're done. you're gone. its the wife, sons, kids, friends.

mount up.
so you had heat stroke (or were on the verge of it) in the car?!?!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

FWIW, the necksgen does not offer lateral impact protection.

The testing is at 30 degrees from frontal. That is an offset impact.

Also the HANS does offer protection at that 30 degree impact as well. It's about 50% as effective as it is in a full frontal impact.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 PM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
FWIW, the necksgen does not offer lateral impact protection.

The testing is at 30 degrees from frontal. That is an offset impact.

Also the HANS does offer protection at that 30 degree impact as well. It's about 50% as effective as it is in a full frontal impact.
Link? How does Necksgen compare to Hans in a latteral/offset impact? Just by observing the designs (the side tethers), it seems that Necksgen should be far superior in that domain.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

They don't test lateral impacts. SFI, FIA or manufacturers.

If you look at what a 30degree offset really is, you'll see that it really is mostly a frontal.

Lateral you are relying on seat, side nets, etc.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

What's your opinion of side nets vs. halo seats for head/neck support in a side impact?

If you look at what a 30degree offset really is, you'll see that it really is mostly a frontal.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

They work in unison.

Halo seat with correctly installed side nets (tight to the halo) to keep the drivers head from getting stuck outside the halo are one of the best solutions.

If you can fit one of the LaJoie style containement seats in your car even better. They have halos that are even bigger, contain the shoulders, torso, hips and legs extremely well.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:51 PM
hf1
Banned

So when you said:

"FWIW, the necksgen does not offer lateral impact protection. "

...you really meant that it hasn't been tested/certified for lateral impact protection under the SFI 38.1 certification. The way I see this, HANS offers zero lateral impact protection while Necksgen offers some. I have been using HANS for the last six years -- I just ordered two Necksgen (since they can't make them anymore). The Skip MX-5's I race have nets but no halo seats. I'll take the next best solution I can find. YMMV.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:08 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I've got a NecksGen demo right here. I don't see how it will help in a lateral impact. The points that anchor to the helmet slide on the tether. I can easily get my neck to the max range of it's motion laterally and I still have slack on the tethers.

Less so with the Hybrid Pro and Hybrid but still the same thing.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:15 AM
hf1
Banned

I'll play with it when I receive it. If I come to the same conclusion as you, then I'll return them. Not sure but I think the give of the tethers was supposed to be adjustable.

Btw, I'm not the only one that's arguing this. A quick google should find many other sources claiming the same thing. (EDIT: I meant about Necksgen's better side impact protection.)

Last edited by hf1; 07-10-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:22 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 260 Posts

Some good info in this thread.....

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...rsus-hans.html

Gary
Old 07-10-2013, 10:01 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

This Friday there was another death in Albequerque, New Mexico. One of the most experienced drivers.
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s....shtml?cat=500
Another sport in which there has been a shocking cluster of deaths has been extreme skiing, a sport from which I stepped back after being in a major avalanche that I fortunately survived. A great many of those deaths have been of professional skiers at the highest level. There has been extensive discussion about the rise of 'extreme sports', a seeming increasing willingness to accept extreme risks, to what extent that is driven by commercialization and pursuit of publicity and sponsorship, and to what extent the non-professional weekend warriors try to emulate what they see the pros doing in the media.

Quick Reply: R.I.P.: another motorsports fatality