Sponsored by:

Brainerd Raceway Repaved/PCA Club Race Registration open

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brainerd Raceway Repaved/PCA Club Race Registration open

Last fall Brainerd Raceway in Minnesota was repaved from the entrance of turn 1 to the entrance of turn 9. The track ownership did extensive work to the property moving berms, recontouring the track and improving drainage. The track subsurface was redone and the entire track from the entrace of 1 to the entrance of turn 9 was widened from 30 feet to 39 feet. The track surface now is as smooth as a baby's behind. No more excessive tire wear. Tons of grip. Bluntly, the track this year is even faster but also safer than it was before.

As most of you know, Brainerd is the fastest track in North America. It likely has the longest straight in existence in racing anywhere, over a mile long leading into a banked turn 1 that's taken flat out which leads to a similar radius turn 2 that is now very, very fast.

If you've thought about making the tow to Brainerd in year's past to try out the track but haven't, now is the year to come up. Try this year's club race. Although named the Loonacy Club Race, the region has done away with their previously signature "loonacy" backwards handicapped race. Last year and continuing this year there will be two sprints plus a full 90 minute refueling enduro.

Registration is open at ClubRegistration.net. Includes a region run test and tune day on Friday. I dare say one of the price bargains of PCA Club Racing. Plus the friendly people in Minnesota
See you there!
Old 06-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

I did a few laps while instructing. I had old tires, a student, and didn't push it but still got lap times that would would have been good for qualifying in past years.

Lap records will fall. You can add value to your car if you set one.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:27 PM
JimmyT
Intermediate

Vampire, I unfortuantely didn't makie it up to the Spring DE weekend this year. I was originally planning on it and looking forward to the track changes, but will have to wait for the club race weekend.

Anyway, since you instructed you'd probably have noticed, did they make any camber changes?
Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Vampire
Racer

Turn 1 has always had some banking. It seemed more pronounced to me now that it is widened up, but that may have been an illusion. It is a blast to take a corner at the high end of top gear.

Turn 2 is pretty much flat, very long, and has a high pucker factor for many drivers.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:39 PM
JimmyT
Intermediate

Thanks. I'm familiar with what it used to be like. Just curious if there are any camber changes significant enough to change your approach or add any new technical challenges to the track. Of course windeing the track would have changed the lines considerably. Does 2 still go a touch off camber near track out or did they flaten that out?
Old 06-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

I drove the track at Nord Stern's spring DE, both while instructing and in the DE. I am of the opinion the track is actually flatter than it was before in Turn 2, although frankly, walking and biking the old track I was of the opinion that the off camber part of turn 2 was an optical illusion and or mind game.
The track between turns 4 and 5 is not cambered and thus, it is possible to get along side another car between those two turns and take away the line going into turn 5.
Frankly, I think the entire track is now much safer, faster and more raceable.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:36 PM
caymancyr
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
I am of the opinion the track is actually flatter than it was before in Turn 2, although frankly, walking and biking the old track I was of the opinion that the off camber part of turn 2 was an optical illusion and or mind game.
+1

Passing at apex and track out on the outside of the old Turn 2 was very doable and one of my favorite places for sneaking past higher classed cars. It is therefore my humble opinion that the off camber nature of the old turn 2 was nothing but an urban legend. Now, it's back to the beginning of the learning curve with the new configuration.

Last edited by caymancyr; 06-14-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Vampire
Racer

Kevin, I remember passing you in last years enduro while you were on the outside of two.

10 feet outside of it!
Old 06-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Misdirection
Instructor

Wow pucker factor looks high! Turning right at 160+.... I was just checking out some random videos, such as:

Old 06-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

yup, Porpoise, it is always interesting to watch out of region racers during their first race session at Brainerd raceway as they enter turn 1. While they are on the brakes, hard, at turn in, the locals zoom by. Come up and try it late in July!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:17 AM
caymancyr
Instructor

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Vampire
Kevin, I remember passing you in last years enduro while you were on the outside of two.

10 feet outside of it!
lol. I didn't say that my tactics were always effective.

Last edited by caymancyr; 06-15-2013 at 07:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-15-2013, 09:22 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

I've all ways wanted to try out brainerd. Fernando never really talked highly of it but sounds like with the new pavement it would be crazy fast. It's 3.1 miles? What type of top speed does a 996 or 997 cup reach there?
Old 06-15-2013, 11:49 AM
caymancyr
Instructor

Originally Posted by coryf
I've all ways wanted to try out brainerd. . . . sounds like with the new pavement it would be crazy fast. It's 3.1 miles? What type of top speed does a 996 or 997 cup reach there?
I get why it might not have been high on Fernando's list. The old track used to be like running on cobblestones! I was ripping tires (R6's) to shreds in about 3 sessions. The new surface should eliminate this problem while adding substantial amounts of grip. I think this will give the track a much greater appeal to a lot of us.

The long course we run with PCA is 3.1 miles. The exit from 10 onto the front straight is fast and you have the entire drag strip to accelerate. I'm right about 130mph into corner 1 and the cup cars are passing me like I am sitting still with what I would estimate as at least a 25 mph closing speed. (The track's new extra width will make overtaking us slow guys easier for you.) The speeds in the Viper video in the preceding post support about a 165 mph speed at the end of the straight. I get that you don't have its acceleration but your exit speed out of turn 10 should be much higher.

If you're looking for a course record, this will be the weekend to get it at BIR.

Last edited by caymancyr; 06-15-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Cory, I believe Pat Kelly had to feather the throttle going through turn 1 in top gear in his 7Cup when he raced here
I will ask Polk and Fernando and Jerry Greene what their top speeds are.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Cory, I checked class records for Brainerd. SP1 class record is 1:59 which works out to averaging 90 plus mph for 3 miles. The PCA track record is Rick Polk in his 996GT3RS at 1:38 which I believe is 113 mph+
I know that in my GT5S club race car I see speeds on data acquisition that I don't see anywhere else.

Quick Reply: Brainerd Raceway Repaved/PCA Club Race Registration open