Sponsored by:

Brainerd Raceway Repaved/PCA Club Race Registration open

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:01 PM
caymancyr
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
Jim Buckley asked me to send a shout out to E class racers for an E class shoot out at Brainerd. With the track repaving and recontouring it will be the first event for almost all on the fresh track and a perfect opportunity for a shoot out. 10 E class cars now with more coming
Texans using the term "shoot out" always scares me! But, not enough that I won't show.

I taunted Martinson enough that he has switched his registration from GTB1 to Stock E to get Stock E to 10. Still working on a couple of others. Regardless, there should be some decent racing with the speed of Alexander, Buckley, Martinson, and Wiggins on the track.

I went up there with my Chump team for a DE last week. I didn't drive but the other drivers said that the new asphalt really smooth and that the layout (adding width to the outside of turns 2 to 8) was significantly faster than before. I don't think the track holds a lot of speed secrets that won't be discerned in a session or two.

Again, I look forward to some good racing.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:56 PM
caymancyr
Instructor

This is the only time of year that we can brag about the weather up here! For any of you that are sweltering in races anywhere down south, out east or across the midwest, you might want to consider signing up for Brainerd for the Loonacy Races! Instead of melting in the 90+ degree temps, you can enjoy highs in the 70's and low's in the 50's. At least, that's what they'll be for this weekend's Chump races.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

For those that are more visual, just think of an old Hamm's beer commercial.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:48 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Doug - were you driving on Hwy 36E, exiting on Snelling this afternoon? Not too many yellow 993TT's around town.
I was - didn't get back to this thread til now. AFAIK, I have the only one locally and there aren't all that many anywhere
Old 07-24-2013, 10:47 AM
caymancyr
Instructor

Wink

Highs this weekend High 60's to Low 70's, Lows touching into the 40's! I'm just saying!

Last edited by caymancyr; 07-24-2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Signature
Old 07-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by caymancyr
I'm just saying....
...that it's going to be Turbo weather!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:48 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I was there for First Fling (FF). I'm just a newb (intermediate), but thought the new surface was incredible. It is much wider and very smooth. The concrete wall at the transition from the new surface to the old before turn 9 is a bit dodgy. The curbing was not in at FF. I assume it is installed now?

I'll be at the Club Race for the DE and to help Grid for the races.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:10 PM
caymancyr
Instructor

Originally Posted by HalV
I was there for First Fling (FF). I'm just a newb (intermediate), but thought the new surface was incredible. It is much wider and very smooth. The concrete wall at the transition from the new surface to the old before turn 9 is a bit dodgy. The curbing was not in at FF. I assume it is installed now?

I'll be at the Club Race for the DE and to help Grid for the races.
I raced in the Chump Car series up there last weekend (although on the short/Competition Track). Curbing is in place at corner 3 (at turn in and apex). Every other new corner is very soft dirt off the edges at turn in, apex, and track out. Cars were leaving huge plumes of dust every time they dropped a wheel off track. The rain they expect tomorrow should firm this up a bit.

Otherwise, the track was definitively faster than last year. Most of my team members were about 6 seconds faster although our Chump Miata was a little more refined. The new track is sticky and smooth.

Thanks for working the race. You guys can't get enough profs for your time and effort.

Last edited by caymancyr; 07-24-2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-24-2013, 05:20 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

I raced in the Chump Car series up there last weekend (although on the short/Competition Track). Curbing is in place at corner 3 (at turn in and apex). Every other new corner is very soft dirt off the edges at turn in, apex, and track out. Cars were leaving huge plumes of dust every time they dropped a wheel off track. The rain they expect tomorrow should firm this up a bit.
Thanks for the info on the curbing. I was hoping it would all be in for the DE/Club Race.

Thanks for working the race. You guys can't get enough profs for your time and effort.
This will be my first time attending the Club Race, so I'm looking forward watching the races and learning how the event is run.

If I see your car, I'll stop by to say "hi".
Old 07-31-2013, 03:13 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you who missed the Brainerd PCA Club Race, it was a great event.
Very tough, close racing, particularly in E class with Jim Buckley barely edging out Dan Martinson in the points sprint race after Kevin Cyr had some mechanical problems. Buckley left early and so did not run in the enduro.
And......keeping up with the claim that Brainerd is the fastest track in the world......the fastest lap of the weekend was a 1:39 by Jerry Greene, which at 3 miles for the track distance works out to an average speed of 111+ MPH.
The majority of the field averaged over 100 MPH for each lap and even the underpowered SP1 cars were well over 90 MPH for the lap.
Contrast that with Road America, which some people claim is the fastest track in North America - my average speed at Brainerd this past weekend was right at 100 MPH while at Road America running in the Hawk the previous weekend my average speed was 90 MPH.
Put Brainerd on your "must do" list for PCA
Old 08-01-2013, 08:06 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Wish we could have made it. Did Jerry beat Fernando's track record?
Old 08-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Partial lap from the Sat. afternoon qualifying session, showing the long straight and the high speed Turns 1 & 2, and one of those out-of-towners trying to take Turn 2 the Texas way...

Old 08-05-2013, 09:58 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I could hear a certain body part of that driver slam shut from the camera car
Old 08-06-2013, 05:54 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

I was there driving the DE. I also helped grid the race cars and worked the hot pits for the Enduro. The races were very fun to watch, with a number of cars dicing it up. All the drivers were very patient with this first time race volunteer!

Quick Reply: Brainerd Raceway Repaved/PCA Club Race Registration open